George Street, E1

Road in/near Spitalfields, existed between 1657 and 1984

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.237.51.159 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Spitalfields · E1 ·
MARCH
30
2017

George Street was a street running north-south from Flower and Dean Street to Wentworth Street, crossing Thrawl Street approx. half way along its length..

Common lodging house in George Street, from the Illustrated Police News, 15 September 1888.
Credit: Illustrated Police News
It was laid out by Thomas and Lewis Fossan c.1657.

As with the other streets in the neighbourhood, it had become known for its common lodging houses by the 1880s.

George Street was at the centre of the Flower and Dean Street rookery and consequently its slum buildings were completely demolished to make way for the Charlotte De Rothschild Dwellings and Lolesworth Buildings on its west side (1886), Ruth and Helena Houses (1895-7) on the east side and finally Keate and Spencer Houses (1908) also on the east side.

It was renamed Lolesworth Street on 11 July 1893.

After the demolition of the model dwellings (1973-80) and the building of the Flower and Dean Estate (1982-4) Lolesworth Street ceased to exist, though the present Flower and Dean Walk marks the approximate route. The Rothschild Buildings arch to the south of the estate stands at the former junction of George and Wentworth Streets.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

Common lodging house in George Street, from the Illustrated Police News, 15 September 1888.
Illustrated Police News


 

Spitalfields

Spitalfields is near to Liverpool Street station and Brick Lane.

The area straddles Commercial Street and is home to several markets, including the historic Old Spitalfields Market, and various Brick Lane Markets on Brick Lane and Cheshire Street. Petticoat Lane Market lies on the area's south-western boundaries.

The name Spitalfields appears in the form Spittellond in 1399; as The spitel Fyeld on the 16th-century Civitas Londinium map associated with Ralph Agas. The land belonged to St Mary Spital, a priory or hospital erected on the east side of the Bishopsgate thoroughfare in 1197, and the name is thought to derive from this. An alternative, and possibly earlier, name for the area was Lolsworth.

After the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, Spitalfields was inhabited by prosperous French Huguenot silk weavers. In the early 19th century their descendants were reduced to a deplorable condition due to the competition of the Manchester textile factories and the area began to deteriorate into crime-infested slums. The spacious and handsome Huguenot houses were divided up into tiny dwellings which were rented by poor families of labourers, who sought employment in the nearby docks.

The area has recently attracted a IT-literate younger population.
Print-friendly version of this page