Showing every road so far featured

(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Whitechapel · E1 · Contributed by The Underground Map
April
15
2017
Click to enlarge image.
Winthrop Street looking east, c.1970.

Winthrop Street was formerly a narrow street running east-west from Brady Street to Durward Street.

Originally part of Ducking Pond Row, it started being built up in the first decades of the 19th century when it was known as Watson’s Buildings. Running from its south side were Wood’s Buildings, Hope Place, Gossips Gardens and North Place; its north side was the site of several separate small properties.

By 1873, it had been renamed Little North Street - Brady Street was called North Street at this time - and had been subject to much rebuilding. A ’National School for Boys and Girls’ stood at the western end (north side) and continued with a row of terraced cottages identical to and backing on to those in Buck’s Row.

Following the construction and opening of Whitechapel Underground Station in 1876 and the excavation of ground to accommodate the new railway lines, the school was replaced by a new Board School, constructed in 1876-7. On the south side, as well as a small row of dwellings, was the premises of Harrison, Barber & Co, horse slaughterers, employers of James Mumford, Henry Tomkins and Charles Bretton. Adjacent to Wood’s Buildings was the recreation ground of the Working Lad’s Institute. Little North Street was renamed Winthrop Street on 12th October 1883.

The south side of Winthrop Street was heavily redeveloped c.1900 following the construction of yet another railway link (Whitechapel and Bow Railway). It also appears that the terraced houses on the north side were subject to war damage (1939-45).

These properties were demolished in January 1972 along with those in Durward Street and the road remained derelict until the construction of Kempton Court in 1995. As a result, Winthrop Street was severely shortened to provide access to Kempton Court’s residents car-park.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE WHITECHAPEL AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE WHITECHAPEL AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE WHITECHAPEL AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE WHITECHAPEL AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE WHITECHAPEL AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Address not listed? Add it here...
Go to Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Whitechapel is a neighbourhood whose heart is Whitechapel Road itself, named for a small chapel of ease dedicated to St Mary.

By the late 1500s Whitechapel and the surrounding area had started becoming 'other half' of London. Located downwind of the genteel sections of west London which were to see the expansion of Westminster Abbey and construction of Buckingham Palace, it naturally attracted the more fragrant activities of the city, particularly tanneries, breweries, foundries (including the Whitechapel Bell Foundry which later cast Philadelphia's Liberty Bell and also Big Ben), slaughterhouses and, close by to the south, the gigantic Billingsgate fish market, famous in its day for the ornately foul language of the extremely Cockney fishwomen who worked there.

Population shifts from rural areas to London from the 1600s to the mid 1800s resulted in great numbers of more or less destitute people taking up residence amidst the industries and mercantile interests that had attracted them. By the 1840s Whitechapel, along with the enclaves of Wapping, Aldgate, Bethnal Green, Mile End, Limehouse and Stepney (collectively known today as the East End), had evolved, or devolved, into classic 'dickensian' London. Whitechapel Road itself was not particularly squalid through most of this period - it was the warren of small dark streets branching from it that contained the greatest suffering, filth and danger, especially Dorset St., Thrawl St., Berners St. (renamed Henriques St.), Wentworth St. and others.

In the Victorian era the base population of poor English country stock was swelled by immigrants from all over, particularly Irish and Jewish. 1888 saw the depredations of the Whitechapel Murderer, later known as 'Jack the Ripper'. In 1902, American author Jack London, looking to write a counterpart to Jacob Riis's seminal book How the Other Half Lives, donned ragged clothes and boarded in Whitechapel, detailing his experiences in The People of the Abyss. Riis had recently documented the astoundingly bad conditions in the leading city of the United States. Jack London, a socialist, thought it worthwhile to explore conditions in the leading city of the nation that had created modern capitalism. He concluded that English poverty was far rougher than the American variety. The juxtaposition of the poverty, homelessness, exploitive work conditions, prostitution, and infant mortality of Whitechapel and other East End locales with some of the greatest personal wealth the world has ever seen made it a focal point for leftist reformers of all kinds, from George Bernard Shaw, whose Fabian Society met regularly in Whitechapel, to Vladimir Ilyich Lenin, who boarded and led rallies in Whitechapel during his exile from Russia.

Whitechapel remained poor (and colourful) through the first half of the 20th Century, though somewhat less desperately so. It suffered great damage in the V2 German rocket attacks and the Blitz of World War II. Since then, Whitechapel has lost its notoriety, though it is still thoroughly working class. The Bangladeshis are the most visible migrant group there today and it is home to many aspiring artists and shoestring entrepreneurs.

Since the 1970s, Whitechapel and other nearby parts of East London have figured prominently in London's art scene. Probably the most prominent art venue is the Whitechapel Art Gallery, founded in 1901 and long an outpost of high culture in a poor neighbourhood. As the neighbourhood has gentrified, it has gained citywide, and even international, visibility and support.

Whitechapel, is a London Underground and London Overground station, on Whitechapel Road was opened in 1876 by the East London Railway on a line connecting Liverpool Street station in the City of London with destinations south of the River Thames. The station site was expanded in 1884, and again in 1902, to accommodate the services of the Metropolitan District Railway, a predecessor of the London Underground. The London Overground section of the station was closed between 2007 and 27 April 2010 for rebuilding, initially reopening for a preview service on 27 April 2010 with the full service starting on 23 May 2010.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Whitechapel:   Whitechapel is a neighbourhood whose heart is Whitechapel Road itself, named for a small chapel of ease dedicated to St Mary.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Adler Street, E1 · Ashfield Street, E1 · Assam Street, E1 · Back Church Lane, E1 · Bacon Street, E1 · Batty Street, E1 · Bishops Square, E1 · Black Lion Yard, E1 · Blossom Street, E1 · Brady Street, E1 · Brick Lane, E1 · Brushfield Street, E1 · Buckhurst Street, E1 · Burr Close, E1W · Burslem Street, E1 · Buxton Street, E1 · Calvin Street, E1 · Cambridge Heath Road, E1 · Cavell Street, E1 · Celia Blairman House, E1 · Chance Street, E1 · Chicksand Street, E1 · Christian Street, E1 · Club Row, E1 · Coburg Dwellings, E1 · Commercial Street, E1 · Corbet Place, E1 · Court Street, E1 · Coventry Road, E2 · Crispin Place, E1 · Crispin Street, E1 · Cudworth Street, E1 · Davenant Street, E1 · Deal Street, E1 · Dorset Street, E1 · Dray Walk, E1 · Dunbridge Street, E2 · Durward Street, E1 · East Cross Centre, E15 · Elder Street, E1 · Fairclough Street, E1 · Fashion Street, E1 · Fieldgate Street, E1 · Flower and Dean Street, E1 · Folgate Street, E1 · Ford Square, E1 · Fordham Street, E1 · Fournier Street, E1 · Fulbourne Street, E1 · George Street, E1 · Golding Street, E1 · Granary Road, E1 · Greatorex Street, E1 · Greenfield Road, E1 · Grindall House, E1 · Gun Street, E1 · Hanbury Street, E1 · Hemming Street, E1 · Heneage Street, E1 · Henriques Street, E1 · Hermitage Court, E1W · High Street, E1 · Hunton Street, E1 · Ivory House, E1W · Key Close, E1 · Knighten Street, E1W · Knighton Street, E1W · Lamb Street, E1 · Langdale Street, E1 · Little Paternoster Row, E1 · London Fruit Exchange, E1 · Manningtree Street, E1 · Myrdle Street, E1 · Nelson Street, E1 · Nesham Street, E1W · New Road, E1 · Newark Street, E1 · Old Montague Street, E1 · Osborn Street, E1 · Osborne Street, E1 · Osbourne Street, E1 · Parfett Street, E1 · Pedley Street, E1 · Philchurch Place, E1 · Philpot Street, E1 · Pier Head, E1W · Pinchin Street, E1 · Plumbers Row, E1 · Princelet Street, E1 · Puma Court, E1 · Quaker Street, E1 · Raven Row, E1 · Redchurch Street, E2 · Romford Street, E1 · Royal Mint Court, EC3N · Sclater Street, E1 · Selby Street, E1 · Settles Street, E1 · Shoreditch High Street, E1 · Sidney Street, E1 · Silwex House, E1 · Spellman Street, E1 · Spelman House, E1 · Spelman Street, E1 · Spital Square, E1 · St Katharines Way, E1W · Stepney Green Court, E1 · Stepney High Street, E1 · Stothard Place, EC2M · Tapp Street, E1 · Tent Street, E1 · Thomas More Square, E1W · Thomas More Street, E1W · Thrawl Street, E1 · Three Colts Lane, E2 · Tower Bridge Approach, EC3N · Tower Bridge, E1W · Tower Walk, E1W · Turner Street, E1 · Umberston Street, E1 · Underwood Road, E1 · Vallance Road, E1 · Varden Street, E1 · Vaughan Way, E1W · Vine Court, E1 · Weaver Street, E1 · Wheler Street, E1 · Whitby Street, E1 · Whitechapel Road, E1 · Whitechapel Street, E1 · Wilkes Street, E1 · Winthrop Street, E1 · Woodseer Street, E1 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Bethnal Green
Facebook Page
Whitechapel
Facebook Page
Shadwell
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.