The Everyman, in Heath Street, Hampstead, opened as a cinema on 26 December 1933.
The building was first opened as the Hampstead Drill Hall and Assembly Rooms in the 1880s. Later it was transformed into a theatre, the Everyman Theatre, which opened in 1920 under the direction of Norman MacDermott (1890–1977) with the first British production of Jacinto Benavente’s The Bonds of Interest (Los intereses creados, 1907). You Never Can Tell, opened two weeks later and was a success, leading to the performance of more revivals from George Bernard Shaw. Some of the greatest of modern plays were performed on its stage, and many actors now famous made their bow at the Everyman Theatre. Noël Coward’s The Vortex was first performed there.
Sir Gerald du Maurier presided at the opening of the Everyman and the first programme consisted of Le Million, Turbulent Timber, a Mack Sennett comedy, a Disney cartoon and Paramount News.
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
6 Ellerdale Road: 6 Ellerdale Road is a house built by the Arts and Crafts movement architect Richard Norman Shaw for himself in the period 1874 to 1876. An introduction to Hampstead by G.E. Mitton (1902): This text originates from "The Fascination of Hampstead" by Geraldine Edith Mitton (published 1902) Anna Freud Centre: The Anna Freud Centre is a child mental health research, training and treatment centre. Bracknell Way, NW3: Bracknell Way is a small alleyway, usable only by pedestrians Branch Hill Pond: Branch Hill Pond which was fed from a spring which was also the main source of the Westbourne. Broadhurst School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 5. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Bull and Bush: The Old Bull and Bush is a Grade II listed public house near Hampstead Heath in London which gave its name to the music hall song ’Down at the old Bull and Bush’. Camden Arts Centre: Camden Arts Centre is a place for world-class contemporary art exhibitions and education. Central School of Speech and Drama: The Royal Central School of Speech & Drama was founded in 1906 to offer a new form of training in speech and drama for young actors and other students. Central School of Speech and Drama: Higher education institutions Christ Church Primary School, Hampstead: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Compayne Open Space: As West Hampstead was developed, a series of private gardens were built behind the urban facades. Devonshire House Preparatory School: Devonshire House preparatory school is based in four large Victorian houses in Hampstead. Devonshire House Preparatory School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 13. Finchley Road: Finchley Road is on the Jubilee line, between West Hampstead and Swiss Cottage and on the Metropolitan line between Baker Street and Wembley Park. Finchley Road And Frognal: Finchley Road & Frognal railway station lies on the London Overground network. Fitzjohn’s Primary School: Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Fitzjohn’s Primary School: Fitzjohn’s Primary School is a community primary school, established in 1953. Freud Museum: The Freud Museum is a museum dedicated to Sigmund Freud, who lived there with his family during the last year of his life. Frognal Bridge: Where Frognal meets the Finchley Road, there is an indiscernible dip... Gloucester House, The Tavistock Children’s Day Unit: Other independent special school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 14. Goldhurst Open Space: Maryon Wilson Green Triangle and Goldhurst Open Space lies to the rear of Fairhazel Gardens and Goldhurst Terrace. Great Hollow Elm: The Great Hollow Elm stood at the top of Hampstead Heath. Hampstead: Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm. Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Hampstead Theatre: The Hampstead Theatre specialises in commissioning and producing new writing, supporting and developing the work of new writers. Hampstead Town: This article first appeared in ’A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, Hampstead, Paddington’. Hampstead tunnel: Hampstead Tunnel, 1166 yards long, was built as part of the Hampstead Junction Railway, and opened on 2 January 1860. Hare and Hounds: The Hare and Hounds was the northernmost public house in Hampstead. Heathside Preparatory School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 14. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Hill Garden and Pergola, Hampstead Heath: Holy Trinity CofE Primary School, NW3: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Keats House: Keats House is a writer’s house museum in a house once occupied by the Romantic poet John Keats. Netherhall House: Netherhall House is a catered intercollegiate halls of residence for men, founded in 1952. New End Primary School: Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. New West End: New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road. North Bridge House Pre-Prep School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 7. North Bridge House Senior School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
North Bridge Nursery School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 5. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
North End: North End is a village-like area between Hampstead and Golders Green. O2 Centre: The O2 Centre, an indoor shopping and entertainment centre was opened in 1998. Pentameters Theatre: The Pentameters Theatre was founded in 1968 and is 60-seat venue and is a fringe theatre, located above the Three Horseshoes public house in Hampstead. Piecemeal building: The infant River Westbourne crossed, what in 1900, was still a boggy field. Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel: The Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel is a place of worship and a member of the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches, the umbrella organisation for British Unitarians. Rosslyn House: Rosslyn (Roslyn) House, which stood between Wedderburn and Lyndhurst Roads, was one of the last of the famous old Hampstead houses to be destroyed. Shepherd’s Well: Shepherd’s Well, whose flow was thought to be nearly as pure as distilled water, is the source of the River Tyburn. Source of the Kilbourne: The easternmost branch of the River Westbourne rises just south of the centre of Hampstead, South Hampstead High School: South Hampstead High School is an independent day school. South Hampstead High School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 18. Southbank International School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. Spaniards Inn: The Spaniards Inn lies in Hampstead Lane on the way from Hampstead to Highgate and on the edge of Hampstead Heath. St Anthony’s Preparatory School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 13. St Anthony’s School for Girls: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
St John, Hampstead: St John-at-Hampstead is a Church of England parish church dedicated to St John the Evangelist. St Luke’s Church of England Primary: Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. St Margaret’s School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 16. St Mary’s School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
St Mary’s Church: St Mary’s Chapel, now known as St Mary’s Church, is a Grade II* listed Roman Catholic church. Swiss Cottage: Swiss Cottage is named after an inn called The Swiss Tavern that was built in 1804 in the style of a Swiss chalet and on the site of a former tollgate keeper’s cottage. The Academy School: The Academy School is an independent preparatory school for boys and girls aged between 6 and 13. The Academy School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 6 and 14. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
The King Alfred School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 18. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Royal School, Hampstead: The Royal School, Hampstead, was an independent girls’ day and boarding school. The school educated girls aged 3-16. Two streams meet: Somewhere beneath the basement of 16 Frognal, NW3 two tributaries of the River Westbourne meet. UCS Pre-Prep: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 7. University College School: University College School, generally known as UCS, is an independent school charity situated in northwest London. University College School: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 7 and 18. Westbourne Pond: Westbourne Pond is marked on the 1830 Greenwood map as the source of the Westbourne River. Whitestone Pond: Whitestone Pond is the source of one of London’s lost rivers, the River Westbourne. Winchester Hotel: Winchester Hotel was situated at 21a Winchester Road, NW3 Wyldes Farm: Wyldes Farm - where Dickens stayed and Hampstead Garden Suburb was realised.
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.