Showing every farm so far featured

(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).

Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Farm · Edgware · HA8 · Contributed by The Underground Map
Goldbeaters Farm in 1877 - demolished in 1928 and where Goldbeaters Grove stands today

Goldbeaters already existed by the 14th century.

The Goldbeaters estate may have originated in a grant of land and rent by John le Bret to William of Aldenham, goldbeater of London, in 1308. John Goldbeater held a house and some land of the manor of Hendon in 1321.

The Goldbeaters estate was held by John and Eve Clerk in 1434. By the early 18th century it had passed to Joseph Marsh, whose daughter and heir married Thomas Beech of London, the holder of 130 acres in the north of Hendon parish in 1754. After Beech’s death in 1772 some of the property was conveyed to John Raymond and later to Richard Capper.

In 1802 Mary Capper of Bushey (Herts.) and Robert Capper sold the whole of Goldbeaters to William Smith of Mayfair, who bought two closes called Staines and Shoelands, adjoining the farm, from John Nicholl of the Inner Temple in 1803 and a house, later the Bald Faced Stag, and four fields at Redhill from William Geeves in 1807. William Smith bought part of the near-by Shoelands Farm from John Nicholl of the Hyde in 1812 and purchased the rest from Jasper Holmes of Blackheath in 1821. In 1828, the farm measured 312 acres.

In 1859 John Smith sold Goldbeaters and Shoelands and Stagg fields, adjoining the Bald Faced Stag, which together totalled 253 acres, to James Marshall, co-founder of Marshall and Snelgrove’s drapery store in Oxford Street, London. Marshall in 1867 also bought the neighbouring Bunns farm, totalling 77 acres, from the five co-heirs of Robert Randall, a Fleet Street winemerchant.

In the 1860s, James Marshall, would only allow the Midland Railway Company to lay tracks through the farm if he could stop trains at his own discretion, a right which he never exercised.

After Marshall’s death in 1893 his son James C. Marshall sold Goldbeaters and Bunns farms to A. O. Crooke, a Hendon brewer, who sold them in 1900 to Sir John Blundell Maple of Orange Hill House. In 1924 the property, totalling 200 acres, was bought by the L.C.C. as a site for the Watling housing estate.

The farm was demolished in 1928.

Source: Barnet Council -

Add your own contribution to Goldbeaters Farm.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Goldbeaters Farm:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Scott Hatton
Scott Hatton   
Added: 19 Dec 2017 20:11 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Scott Hatton: 12 Wansford Park, WD6

We moved to 12 Wansford Park during August 1960, moving out during 1967.

My parents had managed to wangle themselves into a house in London W10 which was due to be demolished by the local council. Thus the council moved them into a much better place (inside toilet!) opposite Tempsford Green in Borehamwood.
John Dye
John Dye   
Added: 1 Dec 2017 14:50 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by John Dye: Cool Oak Lane, NW9

I lived at Queensbury Road, Kingsbury during World War II and used to play regularly along the edge of the Welsh Harp. About halfway along Cool Oak Lane on the south side was a pond we used to call Froggy Pond. It was the only place I ever saw a water scorpion, Nepa cinerea.
At the end of the war, all the street air raid shelters were knocked down and the rubble was piled up on the ground south of the Cool Oak Lane bridge, on the Hendon side. I remember that this heap of rubble became infested with rats and I used to watch them from the bridge. I was told that an old house on the south side of Cool Oak Lane (Woodfield House?) was once owned by the wife of Horatio Nelson. I think it later became the nurseries for plants grown for the Hendon parks.
John Morton
John Morton   
Added: 17 Nov 2017 14:36 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by John Morton: Manor Way, WD6

I remember the following shops along Manor Way: Martins, Bishop’s, the Co Op and Dewhurst.
Added: 24 Sep 2017 22:22 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Ron: Colindale

The leather business and ’Leatherville’ was set up by Arthur Garstin, not GARSTON.
Added: 13 Jul 2017 21:22 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Martina: Schweppes Factory

The site is now a car shop and Angels Fancy Dress shop and various bread factories are there.
Added: 20 Mar 2018 00:20 GMT   
Expires: 3 Apr 2018 00:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Parents lay first brick at new children’s hospice
Parents lay first brick at new children’s hospice
Added: 20 Mar 2018 00:20 GMT   
Expires: 3 Apr 2018 00:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Colindale
Bomb threats made to schools across London and England

Bomb threats have been made to schools across London, police say.
Added: 20 Mar 2018 00:20 GMT   
Expires: 3 Apr 2018 00:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Mill Hill East
Religious organisations came together to celebrate a Muslim-led day of social action.
Religious organisations came together to celebrate a Muslim-led day of social action.
Added: 20 Mar 2018 00:20 GMT   
Expires: 3 Apr 2018 00:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Hendon Central
Barnet pro-EU campaigners push for vote on final Brexit deal
A campaign by pro-EU campaigners in Barnet to give the public a final say on the terms of Brexit has stepped up a gear.
Added: 19 Mar 2018 22:00 GMT   
Expires: 2 Apr 2018 22:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Canons Park
CCTV appeal after 90-year-old burgled while she lay in bed

Police have released CCTV footage of a man suspected of breaking into a 90 year-old woman’s home in Bromley while she was inside.
Added: 19 Mar 2018 21:20 GMT   
Expires: 2 Apr 2018 21:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Burnt Oak
France vs Colombia: Prediction, betting odds and tips, squads, TV channel and live stream details for international friendly ahead of World Cup 2018
France host Colombia in a Friday night international friendly which promises to be a showcase of attacking flair.
Added: 19 Mar 2018 21:20 GMT   
Expires: 2 Apr 2018 21:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Liverpool star Mohamed Salah has the Midas Touch... so expect an audacious Real Madrid transfer bid - Garth Crooks
Liverpool fans should prepare themselves for the prospect of losing Mohamed Salah to Real Madrid after the Egypt star's "extraordinary" season, says Garth Crooks.
Added: 19 Mar 2018 08:00 GMT   
Expires: 2 Apr 2018 08:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Colindale
Hounslow murder probe: Two arrests as man found dead in west London
A murder probe has been launched after a man was found dead at a house in west London.
Added: 19 Mar 2018 02:00 GMT   
Expires: 2 Apr 2018 02:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Mill Hill East
Foreign Secretary confirms game with ex-Russian minister’s wife happened but warns against "miasma of suspicion".
Foreign Secretary confirms game with ex-Russian minister’s wife happened but warns against "miasma of suspicion".
Added: 18 Mar 2018 23:20 GMT   
Expires: 1 Apr 2018 23:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Canons Park
Councillors fear locals will miss out on Lewisham Gateway homes
A proposal for affordable housing on the Lewisham Gateway development has been criticised for not prioritising Lewisham residents and not providing housing for families.
Added: 18 Mar 2018 23:00 GMT   
Expires: 1 Apr 2018 23:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Burnt Oak
Leicester City vs Chelsea: FA Cup prediction and preview, TV channel, live streaming online, start time, team news, line-ups, head to head, betting tips, odds
Chelsea must pick themselves up and go again after their Champions League exit with a trip to Leicester City in the FA Cup quarter-finals.
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.


Edgware tube station is a London Underground station in Edgware, in the London Borough of Barnet, in north London. The station is the terminus of the ’’Edgware branch’’ of the Northern Line.

Edgware (sometimes Edgeware) was an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex. Edgware is a Saxon name meaning Ecgi’s weir. Ecgi’s was a Saxon and the weir relates to a pond where Ecgi’s people would catch fish.

The Romans made pottery at Brockley Hill, and is thought by some to be the site of Sulloniacis. To the north west was Canons Park erected by Duke of Chandos.

From 1932 - 1965, Edgware was in the Borough of Hendon.

The majority of Edgware nowadays is a ward in the London Borough of Barnet represented by three councillors. The western edge of the Edgware Road is in the London Borough of Harrow.

It is principally a shopping and residential area and is more widely known as being a northern terminus of the Northern Line. There is a bus garage, a shopping centre called The Mall (formerly known as The Broadwalk), and a library. There is a large hospital, Edgware Hospital. There are two streams, Edgware Brook and Deans Brook, which are tributaries of the River Brent.

Edgware tube station was opened on 18 August 1924 as the terminus of the second phase of the Underground Group's extension of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway from Golders Green. It was designed by architect Stanley Heaps. There are three platforms, an island lying east of a single platform (platform 1). A trainshed covers the island platforms (2 and 3).

Despite having already had a railway station since 1867 (Edgware station on the London and North Eastern Railway), Edgware was, in 1924, still very much a village in character. The new Underground station was built on the north edge of the village in open fields and, as intended, the new line stimulated rapid suburban expansion along its length. By the end of the decade, what had formerly been fields was quickly being covered with new housing.

The site of the station is very close to the location intended for the unbuilt Watford and Edgware Railway's (W&ER's) station, which was intended to be built on a branch from the existing single-track LNER branch before the terminus and run through to Watford Junction via Bushey.

Bury Farm:   Bury Farm, north of Edgware, with buildings from the 17th century, probably dates back to the 13th century.
Canons Park:   
Chandos Recreation Ground:   
Edgware:   Edgware tube station is a London Underground station in Edgware, in the London Borough of Barnet, in north London. The station is the terminus of the ’’Edgware branch’’ of the Northern Line.
Edgwarebury Park:   
Lyndhurst Park:   
Mill Hill Broadway:   Mill Hill Broadway railway station is in the London Borough of Barnet in North London. It was built by the Midland Railway as simply Mill Hill in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras, being renamed in 1950. The station is served by First Capital Connect trains. It is in Travelcard Zone 4.
Stonegrove Park:   

Hale Lane:   The Splash was a ford of the Deansbrook stream along the course of Hale Lane.

A5, HA8 · Abbots Road, HA8 · Alders Close, HA8 · Alders Road, HA8 · Angus Gardens, NW9 · Approach Road, HA8 · Arundel Gardens, HA8 · Ash Close, HA8 · Ashbourne Grove, NW7 · Ashbrook, HA8 · Ballards Mews, HA8 · Banstock Road, HA8 · Beech Walk, NW7 · Belgrave Close, NW7 · Benningholme Road, HA8 · Beverley Drive, HA8 · Blundell Road, HA8 · Boot Parade, HA8 · Brearley Close, HA8 · Broadwalk Shopping Centre, HA8 · Brook Avenue, HA8 · Brook Walk, HA8 · Calthorpe Gardens, HA8 · Campion Way, HA8 · Camrose Avenue, HA8 · Canons Close, HA8 · Canons Drive, HA8 · Cardinal Close, HA8 · Carlton Close, HA8 · Cavendish Drive, HA8 · Chestnut Avenue, HA8 · Chilton Road, HA8 · Church Close, HA8 · Church Way, HA8 · Clay Lane, HA8 · Cloister Gardens, HA8 · Compton Close, HA8 · Court Drive, HA8 · Cressingham Road, HA8 · Crispin Road, HA8 · Cumberland Road, HA8 · Dalkeith Grove, HA8 · Deans Close, HA8 · Deans Drive, HA8 · Deans Lane, HA8 · Deans Way, HA8 · Deansbrook Road, HA8 · Deansbrook Road, NW7 · Delamere Gardens, NW7 · Downhurst Avenue, NW7 · Dryfield Road, HA8 · Dukes Avenue, HA8 · Edgewarebury Lane, HA8 · Edgware Bus Station, HA8 · Edgware Court, HA8 · Edgware Road, HA8 · Edgware Way, HA8 · Edgwarebury Gardens, HA8 · Edgwarebury Lane, HA8 · Edrick Walk, HA8 · Edwin Road, HA8 · Elmer Gardens, HA8 · Elmgate Gardens, HA8 · Eversfield Gardens, HA8 · Eversfield Gardens, NW7 · Everton Drive, HA8 · Fairfield Avenue, HA8 · Fairfield Crescent, HA8 · Fairfield Cresent, HA8 · Farm Road, HA8 · Fernhurst Gardens, HA8 · Floorpremier Housestation Road, HA8 · Former M1 J2, NW7 · Forum Way, HA8 · Forumside, HA8 · Garden City, HA8 · Garratt Road, HA8 · Gibbs Green, HA8 · Gold Hill, HA8 · Gold Lane, HA8 · Goldbeaters Grove, HA8 · Grange Hill, HA8 · Greencroft, HA8 · Grenville Place, NW7 · Grove Road, HA8 · Hale Drive, HA8 · Hale Drive, NW7 · Hale Grove Gardens, NW7 · Hale Lane, HA8 · Hale Lane, NW7 · Handel Close, HA8 · Hawkins Close, NW7 · Heather Walk, HA8 · Heming Road, HA8 · Heronsgate, HA8 · High Street, HA8 · Highview Avenue, HA8 · Highview Gardens, HA8 · Highwood Grove, NW7 · Hillersdon Avenue, HA8 · Hillside Drive, HA8 · Holmstall Avenue, HA8 · Holmstall Parade Edgware Road, HA8 · Holmstall Parade, HA8 · Holmwood Grove, NW7 · Homefield Road, HA8 · Hook Walk, HA8 · Horsecroft Road, HA8 · Howberry Road, HA8 · Hutton Row, HA8 · Jesmond Way, HA7 · Jesmond Way, HA8 · Lake View, HA8 · Laneside, HA8 · Langham Gardens, HA8 · Langham Road, HA8 · Langley Crescent, HA8 · Langley Park, NW7 · Limes Avenue, NW7 · Lodge Close, HA8 · London Road, HA8 · Lovatt Close, HA8 · Lyndhurst Avenue, HA8 · Lyndhurst Avenue, NW7 · Lynford Close, HA8 · M1, HA8 · Magnolia Gardens, HA8 · Manor Close, NW7 · Manor Drive, NW7 · Manor Park Crescent, HA8 · Manor Park Cresent, HA8 · Manor Park Gardens, HA8 · Maple Gardens, HA8 · Marsh Lane, HA8 · Maxwelton Avenue, NW7 · Maxwelton Close, NW7 · Mayfair Court, HA8 · Meadow Gardens, HA8 · Meridian Close, NW7 · Mill Ridge, HA8 · Milling Road, HA8 · Montrose Avenue, HA8 · Mostyn Road, HA8 · Mount Grove, HA8 · Newton Walk, HA8 · Northolm, HA8 · Oakmead Gardens, HA8 · Oakwood Drive, HA8 · Old Rectory Gardens, HA8 · Oldberry Road, HA8 · Orchard Close, HA8 · Orchard Crescent, HA8 · Orchard Drive, HA8 · Park Grove, HA8 · Parkfield Close, HA8 · Pavilion Way, HA8 · Penshurst Court, HA8 · Penshurst Gardens, HA8 · Peters Close, HA8 · Powell Close, HA8 · Priory Field Drive, HA8 · Promenade Chambers, HA8 · Rear Of Post Office, HA8 · Rectory Lane, HA8 · Riverdene, HA8 · Rodwell Plwhitchurch Lane, HA8 · Roscoff Close, HA8 · Rose Garden Close, HA8 · Sandbrook Close, NW7 · Savoy Close, HA8 · Sefton Avenue, NW7 · Selvage Lane, HA8 · Selvage Lane, NW7 · Spalding Close, HA8 · Spring Villa Park, HA8 · Spring Villa Road, HA8 · Spring Villas Road, HA8 · St Margarets Road, HA8 · St. Margarets Road, HA8 · Stag Lane, HA8 · Stanway Gardens, HA8 · Station Road, HA8 · Station Road, NW7 · Stone Grove, HA8 · Stonegrove Gardens, HA8 · Stonegrove, HA8 · Stoneyfields Gardens, HA8 · Stoneyfields Lane, HA8 · Storksmead Road, HA8 · Stream Lane, HA8 · Summit Close, HA8 · Sunbury Avenue, NW7 · Sunbury Gardens, NW7 · Sunnydale Gardens, NW7 · The Greenway, HA8 · The Grove, HA8 · The Meads, HA8 · The Promenade, HA8 · The Quadrant, HA8 · Upcroft Avenue, HA8 · Walter Walk, HA8 · Watersfield Way, HA8 · Wenlock Road, HA8 · West Way, HA8 · Wildcroft Gardens, HA8 · Wolsey Grove, HA8 · Woodcroft Avenue, HA8 ·

Print-friendly version of this page


Burnt Oak
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


Northwest Middlesex (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
From Harrow Weald in the northwest to West Hendon in the southeast, and from Stirling Corner in the northeast to Harrow in the southwest.
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.