St John, Hendon
Church in/near Hendon, existing between 1895 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Hendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.
St John is a church built by Temple Moore (1856–1920) was an English architect who was born in Tullamore, Ireland.
In 1875, Moore was articled to George Gilbert Scott, Jr. Moore set up an independent practice in 1878, but continued to work with Scott for some years, and completed some of his commissions. Temple Moore was mainly a church architect, designing some 40 new churches and restoring or making alterations and additions to other churches.
Built in 1895, St John was never completed, and consists only of the nave and the south aisle.
St. John the Evangelist, an Anglican church located on the end of Algernon Road, next to Vicarage Road.
The station was built by the Midland Railway in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras. From 1875 the Midland opened a service to Victoria on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and received coaches from the London and South Western Railway for attachment to north-bound trains.