Thamesside Centre, Richmond, Surrey

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
52.87.253.202 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Richmond · TW9 · Contributed by The Underground Map
MAY
23
2017


Thamesside Centre is a road in the TW9 postcode area



ADD A STORY TO THAMESSIDE CENTRE
VIEW THE RICHMOND AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE RICHMOND AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE RICHMOND AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE RICHMOND AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE RICHMOND AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Richmond

Richmond lies on a meander of the River Thames, with a view protected by a specific Act of Parliament.



Richmond was founded following Henry VII's building of Richmond Palace in the 16th century, from which the town derives its name. (The Palace itself was named after Henry's earldom of Richmond, North Yorkshire.) During this era the town and palace were particularly associated with Elizabeth I, who spent her last days here. During the 18th century Richmond Bridge was completed and many Georgian terraces were built, particularly around Richmond Green and on Richmond Hill. These remain well preserved and many have listed building architectural or heritage status. The opening of the railway station in 1846 was a significant event in the absorption of the town into a rapidly expanding London.

Richmond was formerly part of the ancient parish of Kingston upon Thames in the county of Surrey. In 1890 the town became a municipal borough, which was later extended to include Kew, Ham, Petersham and part of Mortlake (North Sheen). The municipal borough was abolished in 1965 when, as a result of local government reorganisation, Richmond was transferred from Surrey to Greater London.

Beyond the grounds of the old palace, Richmond remained mostly agricultural land until the 18th century. White Lodge, in the middle of what is now Richmond Park, was built as a hunting lodge for George II and during this period the number of large houses in their own grounds – such as Asgill House and Pembroke Lodge – increased significantly. These were followed by the building of further important houses including Downe House, Wick House and The Wick on Richmond Hill, as this area became an increasingly fashionable place to live. Richmond Bridge was completed in 1777 to replace a ferry crossing that connected Richmond town centre on the east bank with its neighbouring district of East Twickenham. Today, this, together with the well-preserved Georgian terraces that surround Richmond Green and line Richmond Hill to its crest, now has listed building status.

As Richmond continued to prosper and expand during the 19th century, much luxurious housing was built on the streets that line Richmond Hill, as well as shops in the town centre to serve the increasing population. In July 1892 the Corporation formed a joint-stock company, the Richmond (Surrey) Electric Light and Power Company, and this wired the town for electricity by around 1896.

The Richmond and West End Railway (R&WER) opened the first station at Richmond on 27 July 1846, as the terminus of its line from Clapham Junction, on a site to the south of the present through platforms, which later became a goods yard and where a multi-storey car park now stands. The Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway (WS&SWR) extended the line westward, resiting the station to the west side of The Quadrant, on the extended tracks and slightly west of the present through platforms. Both the R&WER and WS&SWR were subsidiary companies of the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR).

On 1 June 1877, the District Railway linked its then terminus at Hammersmith to the nearby L&SWR tracks east of the present Ravenscourt Park station. The District Railway began running trains over the L&SWR tracks to Richmond.

OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Albany Passage · Albert Road · Alexandra Road · Alton Road · Arlington Close · Arosa Road · Audley Road · Austin Close · Aynescombe Path · Bardolph Road · Baronsfield Road · Beatrice Road · Beaufort Road · Beaumont Avenue · Beechcroft Road · Beresford Avenue · Bexhill Road · Boathouse Walk · Brewer’s Lane · Bridge Street · Broadhurst Close · Cambrian Road · Cardigan Road · Carlton Road · Carrington Road · Castlegate · Catherine Drive · Cedar Heights · Cedar Terrace · Chertsey Court · Chester Avenue · Chisholm Road · Chislehurst Road · Chiswick Bridge · Christ’s Church of England Comprehensive Secondary School · Church Road · Claremont Road · Clevedon Road · Clifford Avenue · Colston Road · Coval Gardens · Cresswell Road · Crofton Terrace · Cromwell Place · Dan Mason Drive · Dan Mason Drive · Dee Road · Deer Park School · Denbigh Gardens · Dorchester Mews · Drummonds Place · Ducks Walk · Duncan Road · Dunstable Road · Dynevor Road · Ellerker Gardens · Ennerdale Road · Eton Street · Evelyn Gardens · Evelyn Road · Eversfield Road · Fair Views · Fairlawns · Falcons Preparatory School for Boys · Ferry Lane · Fife Road · Fitzwilliam Avenue · Floyer Close · Friars Lane · Friars Stile Road · Gainsborough Road · George Street · Gibson Mews · Gordon Road · Graemesdyke Avenue · Grena Gardens · Grena Road · Greville Road · Grosvenor Avenue · Grove Road · Hanson Close · Haversham Close · Hill Street · Hobart Place · Houblon Road · Jocelyn Road · Kelvin Drive · Kew Foot Road · Kew Road · King George Square · King Street · King’s House School · Lancaster Cottages · Lancaster Park · Langdon Place · Larkfield Road · Lichfield Gardens · Lion Gate Gardens · Little Green · Longfield Drive · Lower Grove Road · Lower Mortlake Road · Lower Richmond Road · Manor Gardens · Manor Park · Manor Road · Marble Hill Park · Marchmont Road · Marlborough Road · Marshgate Primary School · Meadowside · Michels Row · Monroe Drive · Montague Road · Montpelier Row · Moore Close · Mortlake Hall Children’s Centre · Mortlake Road · Mount Ararat Road · Nightingale Lane · Observatory Road · Old Deer Park · Old Deer Park Gardens · Old Palace Lane · Old Palace Yard · Onslow Avenue · Onslow Road · Oxenhouse Lane · Pagoda Avenue · Pagoda Vista · Palmers Road · Palmerston Road · Paradise Road · Park Hill · Park Lane · Park Road · Parkshot · Parliament Mews · Patten Alley · Peldon Court · Pembroke Villas · Penrhyn Crescent · Percival Road · Petersham Meadows · Petersham Road · Portland Terrace · Powers Court · Preston Place · Priory Road · Pyrland Road · Queens Court · Queens Crescent · Queen’s Ride · Raleigh Road · Red Lion Street · Retreat Road · Rhizotron · Richmond · Richmond Bridge · Richmond Green · Richmond Hill · Riverdale Road · Riverside · Rosedale Road · Rosemary Gardens · Rosemary Terrace · Rosemont Road · Royston Road · Saint Leonards Road · Salisbury Road · Sandycombe Road · Selwyn Avenue · Shaftesbury Road · Sheen Gate Gardens · Sheen Mount Primary School · Sheen Park · Sheen Road · Ship Lane · Spring Grove Road · St George’s Road · St Johns Grove · St Johns Road · St Stephens Passage · St. Leonards Road · St. Mary’s Grove · St. Paul’s Road · Stanmore Gardens · Stanmore Road · Sydney Road · Temple Road · Temple Sheen · Temple Shen Road · Terrace Lane · Terrace Walk · Tersha Street · Thames Path · The Avenue · The Byeway · The Green School for Boys · The Green · The Hermitage · The Old Vicarage School · The Quadrant · The Tamsin Trail · The Vineyard School · The Vineyard · The Wardrobe · Tower House School · Tower Rise · Townshend Road · Townshend Terrace · Twickenham Bridge · Twickenham Road · Unicorn School · Upper Richmond Road West · Victoria Place · Waldeck Road · Walpole Avenue · Warming Close · Water Lane · Well Lane · West Sheen Vale · Westhay Gardens · Whittaker Avenue · Willoughby Road · Windham Nursery School · Windham Road · Windsor Road · Winter Box Walk · Winter Box Walk · Xstrata Treetop Walkway · York Road ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Richmond
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Richmond (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area much larger than Richmond itself, stretching out to Hounslow, Chiswick and Roehampton.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.