Garden City, HA8

Road in/near Edgware

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Edgware · HA8 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Garden City is a road in the HA8 postcode area

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Edgware tube station is a London Underground station in Edgware, in the London Borough of Barnet, in north London. The station is the terminus of the ’’Edgware branch’’ of the Northern Line.

Edgware (sometimes Edgeware) was an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex. Edgware is a Saxon name meaning Ecgi’s weir. Ecgi’s was a Saxon and the weir relates to a pond where Ecgi’s people would catch fish.

The Romans made pottery at Brockley Hill, and is thought by some to be the site of Sulloniacis. To the north west was Canons Park erected by Duke of Chandos.

From 1932 - 1965, Edgware was in the Borough of Hendon.

The majority of Edgware nowadays is a ward in the London Borough of Barnet represented by three councillors. The western edge of the Edgware Road is in the London Borough of Harrow.

It is principally a shopping and residential area and is more widely known as being a northern terminus of the Northern Line. There is a bus garage, a shopping centre called The Mall (formerly known as The Broadwalk), and a library. There is a large hospital, Edgware Hospital. There are two streams, Edgware Brook and Deans Brook, which are tributaries of the River Brent.

Edgware tube station was opened on 18 August 1924 as the terminus of the second phase of the Underground Group's extension of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway from Golders Green. It was designed by architect Stanley Heaps. There are three platforms, an island lying east of a single platform (platform 1). A trainshed covers the island platforms (2 and 3).

Despite having already had a railway station since 1867 (Edgware station on the London and North Eastern Railway), Edgware was, in 1924, still very much a village in character. The new Underground station was built on the north edge of the village in open fields and, as intended, the new line stimulated rapid suburban expansion along its length. By the end of the decade, what had formerly been fields was quickly being covered with new housing.

The site of the station is very close to the location intended for the unbuilt Watford and Edgware Railway's (W&ER's) station, which was intended to be built on a branch from the existing single-track LNER branch before the terminus and run through to Watford Junction via Bushey.

Albany Crescent · Alders Close · Alders Road · Angus Gardens · Approach Road · Ashbourne Grove · Beech Walk · Beit Shvidler Primary School · Brearley Close · Brook Walk · Calthorpe Gardens · Campion Way · Canons Close · Canons Park · Cardinal Close · Chandos Crescent · Chandos Recreation Ground · Chilton Road · Church Close · Clay Lane · Cloister Gardens · Compton Close · Court Drive · Cumberland Road · Dalkeith Grove · Deans Close · Deans Way · Deansbrook Junior School · Deansbrook Road · Deansbrook Road · Downhurst Avenue · Dryfield Road · Edgware · Edgware Bus Station · Edgware Constitutional Club · Edgware Jewish Girls - Beis Chinuch · Edgware Primary School · Edgware Road · Edgwarebury Park · Edrick Walk · Elmgate Gardens · Everton Drive · Fairfield Avenue · Forumside · Gold Lane · Goldbeaters Farm · Greencroft · Grove Road · Hale Drive · Hale Lane · Hawkins Close · Heather Walk · Heronsgate · Hillside Drive · Holmstall Avenue · Holmwood Grove · Hook Walk · Hutton Row · Jesmond Way · Laneside · Langham Gardens · Langham Road · Langley Crescent · Lodge Close · London Road · Lovatt Close · Lyndhurst Park · Lynford Close · M1 · Magnolia Gardens · Malibu Club · Manns Road · Manor Close · Manor Drive · Marsh Lane · Mathilda Marks-Kennedy Jewish Primary School · Maxwelton Avenue · Maxwelton Close · Mayfair Court · Mead Road · Meridian Close · Methuen Close · Milford Gardens · Newton Walk · North London Collegiate School · Northolm · Oakmead Gardens · Oakwood Drive · Oldberry Road · Orchard Close · Orchard Crescent · Overbrook Walk · Parkfield Close · Pavilion Way · Peters Close · Powell Close · Rear Of Post Office · Rose Garden Close · Sandbrook Close · Savoy Close · Selvage Lane · St. Margarets Road · Stag Lane · Stanway Gardens · Stone Grove · Stonegrove Park · Stoneyfields Gardens · Summit Close · The Annunciation RC Junior School · The Broad Walk · The Change of Hart · The Greenway · The VIP Lounge · Upcroft Avenue · Walter Walk · Watling Park school · Wildcroft Gardens ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page


Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


Northwest Middlesex (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
From Harrow Weald in the northwest to West Hendon in the southeast, and from Stirling Corner in the northeast to Harrow in the southwest.
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.