Julian Avenue, W3
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page Acton is a large area within the London Borough of Ealing, some 6 miles (10 km) west of Charing Cross.
Julian Avenue is a road in the W3 postcode area
User unknown/public domain
Acton means "oak farm" or "farm by oak trees", and is derived from the Old English ac (oak) and tun (farm).
Originally an ancient village, as London expanded, Acton became absorbed into the city.
Central Acton is synonymous with the hub of commerce and retail on the former main road between London and Oxford (the Uxbridge Road); a reminder of its history is in its inns, which date back in cases to the late Tudor period as stopping places for travellers.
Acton and Harrow are the two locations with the most stations bearing their name anywhere in the United Kingdom (apart from the full names of the London terminus stations), with seven each.
Acton Main Line was opened by the Great Western Railway on 1 February 1868. Originally simply named Acton, it was operated by the Western Region of British Railways following nationalisation in 1948. On 1 November 1949 it was renamed Acton Main Line.
Together with the underground stations at West Acton and North Acton, Acton Main Line serves the GWR garden estate. This large area of family housing, bordered on three sides by the stations named and on the fourth side by the A40 road, was developed by GWR in the 1920s to accommodate its staff, particularly drivers from the Old Oak Common depot.