Phoenix Sports Club

Park in/near Crayford, existing until now

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Park · Crayford · DA7 ·

Add your own contribution to Phoenix Sports Club.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Phoenix Sports Club:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 17 Nov 2018 15:40 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
Hundreds of pounds worth of coffee and Jack Daniels stolen in separate thefts

Bexley police have appealed to find two suspects they believe were involved in two strange thefts.

Added: 16 Nov 2018 14:30 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley

Difficult decisions and years of uncertainty are ahead as Bexley Council deals with a multi-million-pound budget gap.

Difficult decisions and years of uncertainty are ahead as Bexley Council deals with a multi-million-pound budget gap.

Added: 15 Nov 2018 14:30 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
’Leading the way’: Revamp of care services in Bexley is ’on bigger scale than anywhere else’
Cutting bureaucracy is key to improving care services for an ageing Bexley population, councillors have been told.

Added: 14 Nov 2018 13:30 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
Concerned painter says Hall Place revamp will kill local art scene
A concerned artist fears a revamp of Hall Place in Bexley will kill the attraction’s art scene.

Added: 13 Nov 2018 14:40 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
’Soaring levels of need’ as ’frightening’ figures show thousands of emergency food parcels given out in Bexley
More than 3,000 three-day emergency food parcels were handed out in Bexley over a six-month period.

Added: 11 Nov 2018 15:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
George Barker: Suspect charged with Bexley gym murder

A man has been charged with the murder of George Barker, who was stabbed at a gym run by actor Idris Elba’s kickboxing trainer.

Added: 10 Nov 2018 15:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
Burglars targeting homes and businesses in Bexley - with 17 reports in just one week
There were 17 burglaries and attempted burglaries at homes and businesses across Bexley reported to police in the last week, according to neighbourhood patrols.

Added: 9 Nov 2018 14:30 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
Mental health staff ’failed to assess danger posed by Bexleyheath killer’, coroner says
A grandmother would not have been murdered in Bexleyheath if mental health staff had assessed the danger posed by a mentally ill woman properly, a coroner has concluded.

Added: 8 Nov 2018 13:40 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
Aiming for ’gory’: Crayford actor wins award for Essex zombie short film

A local actor has scooped up the award for Best Actor in a Short Film at a major indie horror film festival in California.

Added: 7 Nov 2018 13:30 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
Aldi to donate leftover festive food on Christmas Eve - Here is how you can help
Aldi to donate leftover festive food on Christmas Eve - Here is how you can help

Added: 5 Nov 2018 15:40 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Old Bexley
Bexley’s best-performing secondary schools based on Attainment 8 revealed

Bexley’s best-performing secondary schools based on Attainment 8 scores have been revealed by the Government.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Crayford was combined with other local areas to form the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.

Crayford has a long and interesting history. The area was first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle (c.891 - 924), which states that the Britons fought the Jutes at the Battle of Creganford in 457. The Domesday Book (1086) records that in Crayford "there is a church", implying that there was a well established settlement in the area by that time. The Norman Church of St Paulinus, which still stands on top of Crayford Hill overlooking the town, was built in 1100.

The original stimulus for settlement in the area was the fact that the River Cray could be forded at this point - and "Cray-ford" became the settlement’s name.

Crayford Manor House stands just to the north-west of St Paulinus Church, probably in roughly the same position as the first manor house, which was established in the 14th century. Crayford actually contained two manors, those of Howbury and Newbury.

Several large houses once stood in the area, including Oakwood, Shenstone and May Place. Little evidence remains of these, although part of the last house called May Place is now incorporated into the clubhouse of Barnehurst Golf Course.

The house was for many years the seat of the lord of the manor and between 1694 and 1707 was the home of Sir Cloudesley Shovell (1650 - 1707), Commander in Chief of the Navy who took part in the capture of Gibraltar in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. Three years later, after his ship the Association was wrecked off the Isles of Scilly, he was strangled for the rings he wore, by a fisherwoman.

The presence of the river in the town led to the growth of industries such as tanning and silk-making, which need a constant supply of free-flowing fresh water. The tannery has long since gone, but the silk-printing works of David Evans Ltd, established in 1843, remain in the town. Swaislands was another long-established local printing firm. It was taken over by GP & J Baker who closed the works only in 1961.

In the early years of the 19th century the huge armaments firm Vickers, originally from Sheffield, moved into the area. In the few short years of the First World War Vickers’ workforce grew from 300 to 14,000. Vickers built an estate, the Crayford Garden Suburb, to the east of the town to house the armaments workers. Whilst all that remains of the Vickers factory today is the clocktower, surrounded by modern retail development, the houses are still very much in evidence and are sought after as homes because of the quality of construction. This area, which borders on Dartford and the County of Kent, became known as Barnes Cray after a prominent local family (the Barnes).

Other industries in the area included barge building in Crayford Creek, brickmaking and motor-car production by the Siddeley Autocar Company, which had its registered works at Crayford in 1902.

After the First World War the production of armaments was reduced, but industry continued to thrive and the local community prospered on the trade brought to the area as a result of the influx of workers during the war. The Princesses Theatre, opened in 1916 on the riverside, was built specifically to entertain these workers but unfortunately burnt to the ground within six months. It was subsequently rebuilt to exactly the same specifications but presumably with improved fire-protection measures!

In 1920 Crayford became an urban district. As in most other local areas, the 1930s saw a period of busy housebuilding, although this was perhaps not as extensive in Crayford as it was elsewhere. Houses were built mostly by local builders such as New Ideal Homesteads and W.H. Wedlock.

The population in the urban district almost doubled in the 20 years to 1951, from 15,896 in 1931 to 27,950 in 1951.

Housebuilding was interrupted by the Second World War, which affected Crayford badly because the presence of the Royal Arsenal nearby (see Thamesmead) and of the armaments works in the town made Crayford an obvious target for enemy bombers.

The town of Crayford today revolves around the retail trade, and has a large Sainsbury’s hypermarket at its centre. It is home to a substantial commuter population, who travel to London and nearby business and retail centres such as Bexleyheath and the newly opened Bluewater shopping park near Dartford.

Dartford Grammar School for Girls:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
Gravel Hill Primary School:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Martens Grove Park:   
Mayplace Primary School:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Normandy Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Normandy Primary School:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Oakwood School:   Academy special converter which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16.
Our Lady’s Catholic Primary School, Dartford:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Shenstone School:   Academy special converter which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11.
St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
St Paulinus Church of England Primary School:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.
West Hill Primary Academy:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.

Martens Avenue (1934):   Development and destruction. This view shows the scale of work necessary to lay the infrastructure that precedes house building.
Park Grove (1934):   Park Grove was the first road to be laid out in the 1934 Martens Grove Estate.
Trolley bus at Erith Road bus depot (1935):   An unusual trolley bus - other examples in London had a twin rear axle in order to cope with a 70 passenger load.

Alderman Close, DA1 · Alfriston Close, DA1 · Andrew Close, DA1 · Appledore Avenue, DA7 · Ashen Drive, DA1 · Barnehurst Avenue, DA7 · Barnehurst Road, DA7 · Bascombe Grove, DA1 · Bath Road, DA1 · Beech Haven Court, DA1 · Beechcroft Avenue, DA7 · Beverley Road, DA7 · Bexley Close, DA1 · Bexley Lane, DA1 · Birling Road, DA8 · Blenheim Close, DA1 · Blenheim Road, DA1 · Bourne mead, DA5 · Bourne Road, DA1 · Bowmans Road, DA1 · Braemar Avenue, DA7 · Braeside Crescent, DA7 · Brantwood Road, DA7 · Brendon Close, DA8 · Broomhill Road, DA1 · Brummel Close, DA7 · Bullman Close, DA7 · Carnet Close, DA1 · Castleton Avenue, DA7 · Chapel Hill, DA1 · Chastilian Road, DA1 · Chesterfield Drive, DA1 · Cheviot Close, DA7 · Chieveley Road, DA7 · Chiltern Close, DA7 · Church Hill, DA1 · Claremont Crescent, DA1 · Claston Close, DA1 · Clive Avenue, DA1 · Colyers Close, DA8 · Colyers Lane Primary School, DA7 · Colyers Lane, DA8 · Colyers Walk, DA8 · Coniston Close, DA7 · Coniston Road, DA7 · Cotswold Close, DA7 · Crayford High Street, DA1 · Dale Road, DA1 · Denton Road, DA1 · Denver Road, DA1 · Devonshire Avenue, DA1 · Dorothy Evans Close, DA7 · Downbank Avenue, DA7 · Dudsbury Road, DA1 · East Holme, DA8 · Eastleigh Road, DA7 · Edendale Road, DA7 · Edendale Road, DA8 · Elmstead Road, DA8 · Elmsted Crescent, DA16 · Epsom Close, DA7 · Erith Road, DA7 · Eversley Avenue, DA7 · Eversley Cross, DA7 · Fairford Avenue, DA7 · Falstaff Close, DA1 · Firmin Road, DA1 · FP 231, DA7 · Gainsborough Avenue, DA1 · Galloway Drive, DA1 · Gloucester Road, DA1 · Grasmere Road, DA7 · Greyhound Way, DA1 · Grove Road, DA7 · Hall Place Crescent, DA5 · Hallford Way, DA1 · Halstead Road, DA8 · Havelock Road, DA1 · Heath Lane Upper, DA1 · Heath Lane Upper, DA2 · Heath Lane, DA1 · Heath Road, DA1 · Heath Way, DA8 · Heather Drive, DA1 · heatherbank Close, DA1 · Heathlands Rise, DA1 · Heathlee Road, DA1 · Heathview Avenue, DA1 · Heathway, DA8 · Helen Close, DA1 · Hemsted Road, DA8 · Highstead Crescent, DA8 · Hill Brow, DA1 · Hillcrest Road, DA1 · Hillingdon Road, DA7 · Hillside Road, DA1 · Holly Gardens, DA7 · Holmsdale Grove, DA1 · Holmsdale Grove, DA7 · Homer Close, DA7 · Hurstwood Avenue, DA7 · Inglewood Road, DA7 · James Road, DA1 · Kings Close, DA1 · Kingsridge Gardens, DA1 · Kingswood Close, DA1 · Knole Road, DA1 · Laburnum Avenue, DA1 · Lawrence Hill Gardens, DA1 · Lawrence Hill Road, DA1 · Lea Vale, DA1 · Lea Vale, DA7 · Leysdown Avenue, DA7 · Lingwood, DA7 · Lodge Avenue, DA1 · London Loop; 103, DA1 · London Road, DA1 · Lyndhurst Close, DA7 · Lyndhurst Road, DA7 · Maida Vale Road, DA1 · Manor Close, DA1 · Manor Road, DA1 · Manor Way, DA7 · Marcet Road, DA1 · Marcus Road, DA1 · Marden Crescent, DA5 · Marlborough Road, DA1 · Martens Avenue, DA7 · Martens Close, DA7 · Mason Close, DA7 · Mayplace Close, DA7 · Mayplace primary School, DA7 · Mayplace Road East, DA1 · Mayplace Road East, DA7 · Melrose Avenue, DA1 · Merewood Road, DA7 · Midfield Avenue, DA7 · Morland Avenue, DA1 · Mount Road, DA1 · Nelson Road, DA1 · Normandy Way, DA8 · North Road, DA1 · Northall Road, DA7 · Northumberland Way, DA8 · Oakwood Drive, DA7 · Old Bexley Lane, DA1 · Old Manor Way, DA7 · Old Road, DA1 · Orchard Hill, DA1 · Park Grove, DA7 · Parkside Avenue, DA7 · Pennine Way, DA7 · Pinnacle Hill North, DA7 · Pinnacle Hill, DA7 · Quantock Road, DA7 · Raeburn Avenue, DA1 · Randolph Close, DA7 · Rayford Close, DA1 · Ridge Way, DA1 · Risedale Road, DA7 · Rochester Way, DA1 · Rosedene Court, DA1 · Ross Road, DA1 · Royston Road, DA1 · Rudland Road, DA7 · Saltcote Close, DA1 · Searle Place, N4 · Seaton Road, DA1 · Shenstone Close, DA1 · Shepherds Lane, DA1 · Shepherds Lane, DA2 · Somerset Road, DA1 · Spring Vale, DA7 · Springfield Road, DA7 · St Paulinus Primary School, DA1 · Stadium Way, DA1 · Stanham Road, DA1 · Star Hill, DA1 · Station Road, DA1 · Stelling Road, DA8 · Stephen Road, DA7 · Sullivan Close, DA1 · Swaisland Road, DA1 · Swallow Close, DA7 · Swallow Close, DA8 · Swan Lane, DA1 · Taunton Close, DA7 · The Homestead, DA1 · The Marlowes, DA1 · Thirlmere Road, DA7 · Three Corners, DA7 · Tudor Close, DA1 · Turner Court, DA1 · Valley Close, DA1 · Venners Close, DA7 · Walkley Road, DA1 · Waltham Close, DA1 · Wellington Road, DA1 · Wentworth Drive, DA1 · West Heath Road, DA1 · West Hill Drive, DA1 · west Holme, DA8 · Western Terrace, DA1 · Westfield Road, DA7 · Wilmot Road, DA1 · Windermere Road, DA7 · Windsor Drive, DA1 · Winifred Road, DA1 · Wolsley Close, DA1 · Woodside Close, DA1 · Woodside Close, DA7 · Woodside Road, AL2 · Woodside Road, DA7 · Woolbrook Road, DA1 ·
Print-friendly version of this page


Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


South Essex and North Kent (1805)
Ordnance Survey First Series. The first completed map was of the county of Kent in 1801. The first use of the term Ordnance Survey in manuscript was in 1801, but it did not appear on an engraved map until 1810. William Mudge was the effective head from the start and actual head of the Survey from 1804 to 1820.
Reproduced from the 1805 Ordnance Survey map.

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.