Bow Creek

River in/near Blackwall, existing until now

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
02 Ny-Lon Bar · Abbott Road · Aberfeldy Street · Aberfeldy Village · Acme Studios · Ada Gardens · Adderley Street · Ailsa Street · Ailsa Street · Andrew Street · Appleby Road · Ashburton Road · Athol Square · Au · Aviary Close · Badminton Mews · Baffin Way · Balmore Close · Barking Road · Bazely Street · Beaulieu Avenue · Beckton Road · Benledi Road · Benledi Street · Bf · Biscayne Avenue · Blackwall · Blackwall Trading Estate · Blackwall Trading Estate · Blackwall Tunnel Depot · Blackwall Tunnel Northern Approach · Blackwall Way · Blair Street · Botanic Square · Bothwell Close · Bow Creek · Bowman Avenue · Bray Drive · Brent Road · Bright Street · Britannia Gate · Brunel Street · Burcham Street · Burke Street · Butchers Road · Byron Street · Bywell Place · Canning Town · Capulet Mews · Caxton St North · Caxton Street North · Chadbourn Street · Chancellor Psg · Charford Road · Charles Whincup Road · Clarkson Road · Clove Crescent · Clove Cresent · Constable Avenue · Coriander Avenue · Cottage Street · Cotton Street · Crediton Road · Culloden Street · Cutter Lane · Dalemain Mews · Darnaway Place · De Quincey Mews · Dee Street · Dingle Gardens · Discovery House · Dock Road · Dock Road · Dolphin Lane · Dominion Walk · Dormers Court Ind Estate · East Greenwich Gas Works · Edwin Street · Emily Street (1925) · Entertainment Avenue · Ettrick Street · ExCeL London · ExCeL Marina · ExCeL Waterfront · Exeter Road · Fairfax Mews · Fairmont Avenue · Fen Street · Fendt Close · Festoon Way · Fife Road · Finchs Court Mews · Finchs Court · Findhorn Street · Fitzwilliam Mews · Ford Street · Fords Park Road · Formunt Close · Fortrose Close · Forty Acre Lane · Fox Close · George Street · Glass Blowers House · Goodway Gardens · Gorse Close · Green Place · Greenwich Peninsula · Hale Street · Hallsville Road · Hammersley Road · Hanover Avenue · Harbour Way · Hardy Avenue · Harrow Lane · Hastings Road · Helen Mackay House · Holyrood Mews · Hope Street · Howard House · Huntingdon Street · Ibbotson Avenue · Ivy Road · Joshua Street · Jude Street · K Warehouse · Keats Avenue · Killip Close · Lanrick Road · Lansbury Gardens · Lawrence Street · Leven Road · Lochnagar Street · Lowe Avenue · Lower Lea Crossing · Lower Lea Crossing · Lynx Way · Mace Gateway · Mackrow Walk · Malam Gardens · Mary Street · Mason Close · Maud Road · Maud Street · MaudStreet · McDowall Close · Mint Business Park · Mitre Passage · Monk Drive · Morant Street · More Close · Mountague Place · Munday Road · Murdock Close · N Woolwich Road · Nairn Street · Naval Row · Nelson Street Studios · Nelson Street · Newby Place · Newham Way · Newham · North Dockside · North Greenwich · North Greenwich Pier · O2 Arena · Oakes Mews · Oban Street · Oliphant Street · Ontario Tower · Orchard Place · Orchard Place · Oregano Drive · Ozolins Way · Pacific Road · Paragon Close · Peninsula Square · Penrose Way · Penrose Way · Penrose Way · Pepys Crescent · Peto St North · Peto Street North · Pier Walk · Pioneer Court Hammersley Road · Plymouth Road · PO Box 62430 · PO Box 69966 · Pollard Close · Pomfret Place · Poplar High Street · Portree Street · Portsmouth Mews · Postal zone E16 1** · Prestage Way · Province Square · Proving House · Quantum Cloud · Quixley Street · Radland Road · Railway Arches · Ramsgate Close · Rathbone Market · Rathbone Street · Ravensbourne College · Rayleigh Road · Reed Close · Robertson Road · Robin Hood Gardens · Rogers Road · Royal Docks · Royal Victoria Dock Bridge · Royal Victoria Dock · Royal Victoria Place · Royal Victoria Square · Ruscoe Road · Saltwell Street · Scarab Close · Scott Russell Place · Scoulding Road · Seagull Lane · Shirbutt Street · Shirley Street · Siemens Brothers Way · Silvertown Square · Silvertown Way · Simpson’s Road · Sir Walter Raleigh’s house · Smythe Street · South Molton Road · Southampton Mews · Southey Mews · St Andrews Way · St Lawrence Street · St Leonards Road · St Lukes Square · St Thomas Road · St. Ives Place · St. Leonards Road · St. Thomas Road · Stratford Waterfront · Street · Tant Avenue · Tarling Road · The O2 Arena · Thorne Close · Thorne Street · Tidal Basin Road Silvertown Way · Tom Jenkinson Road · Trinity Buoy Wharf · Trinity Buoy Wharf · Turner Street · Up At The 02 · Up At The 02 · Valencia Close · Vanguard Close · Vincent Street · Wades Place · Webber Path · Wesley Avenue · West Mersea Close · Western Gateway · Wharfside Road · Wharfside Road · William Murdoch Road · Willis Street · Woodall Close · Woodstock Terrace · Woolmore Street · Wooster Gardens · Wouldham Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
River · Blackwall · E14 ·

Bow Creek is the 3.6 km long tidal estuary of the River Lea although it now provides insufficient depth for navigation at low tide.

Bow Creek follows a meandering route across a low-lying area formerly called Bromley Marsh, but now occupied by gas works and trading estates.

Use of the river for navigation is recorded in documents dating from 1190. The engineer John Smeaton was asked to survey it and to suggest how it could be improved in 1765. He produced a report in 1766, which recommended replacing the flash locks with more modern pound locks, and more significantly for Bow Creek, making a new cut from Bow tidal gates to the Thames at Limehouse. The channel now ends in Limehouse Basin.

Access to the new navigation, now known as the Lee Navigation, was by tidal gates at Bow. There had been gates at the site since at least 1307, as a structure was erected by Henry de Bedyk during the reign of Edward I of England. Smeaton in 1766 suggested that the gates should be replaced by a conventional pound lock, but this was not carried out. However, in 1852 a lock was constructed and the lock was rebuilt and shortened in 1900, and a second lock constructed beside it in 1931. Higher floodgates and walls were added in 2000 to prevent the inundation of the Lee Navigation when the level of the tide in the creek exceeded the level in the navigation.

Ships were built at the Orchard House Yard, in the southern reaches at Leamouth, and launched in the creek where they could travel north along the River Lee Navigation or south to the River Thames.

Below Bow Locks, the creek forms the boundary between the London Boroughs of Newham and Tower Hamlets, in East London.

Main source

Citations and sources

The free encyclopedia

Links and further reading

Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

Dawn Greene
Dawn Greene    
Added: 24 Aug 2017 13:08 GMT   
My dads family lived here in 1911 maybe before still checking that out the name was Emily Gladding lived at 22 Emily Street then she married George Cassilllo y

Added: 21 May 2019 18:30 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Canning Town
Election focus: Barking and Dagenham voters are united by a distrust of political leaders
It’s one of the few London boroughs that chose to leave, but today voters are confused. Ross Lydall reports

Added: 15 May 2019 19:40 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Canning Town
Tony Adams: Alcohol gave me a good hiding
The former England and Arsenal defender on overcoming his addiction to alcohol.

Added: 14 May 2019 23:40 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Canning Town
Packed lunch
The UK’s lunch-on-the-go habit is creating nearly 11bn items of waste a year, say campaigners.

Added: 10 May 2019 18:30 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Canning Town
Tory treasurer cleared of false campaign spending claims
Scotland Yard has dropped a case against a former treasurer of the Conservative Party accused of making false declarations about the party’s 2015 election campaign in key marginals, the Standard has learned.

Added: 9 May 2019 18:40 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Canning Town
The Greatest Show of Lucha Libre (11th May 19)
The Greatest Show of Lucha Libre (11th May 19)

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


Appleby Road, E16

Appleby Road is one of the streets of London in the E16postal area.

Print-friendly version of this page


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.