East Acton is an area in west London.
Fitzneal Street runs off of Old Oak Common
The street is part of the Wormholt and Old Oak Estates which were constructed in 1912-1928 and represented part of a movement towards higher standards in public housing.Licence:
The 54 acres required for the Old Oak Estate were purchased by the London County Council in 1905 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The estate was constructed in two phases, west of the railway and East Acton Station in 1912-13 and the eastern half in 1920-3.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Anciently, East Acton and Acton developed as separate settlements and the nearby districts of North Acton, West Acton and South Acton were developed in the late nineteenth century.
East Acton, largely separated from London by Wormwood Scrubs developed later and was mainly agricultural until after the arrival of the underground railway.
East Acton station opened in 1920 on the Ealing Broadway extension of the Central London Railway (CLR), which was renamed the Central line in 1937.
The new line was built with connections to the West London Line near Shepherd’s Bush, the former GWR main line to Birmingham at North Acton, and the main line to Bristol at Ealing Broadway.
Since the CLR was exclusively a passenger service, two extra dedicated tracks for the GWR’s freight trains were opened in 1938, but were closed in 1964. The trackbed of these rails is now overgrown, with vegetation visible immediately to the north of the station.
East Acton was mentioned frequently in the classic 1950s radio comedy series the Goon Show, as the Goons used to rehearse in a room over a greengrocers in East Acton.