Wulfstan Street, W12

Road in/near East Acton, existing between 1923 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.231.220.225 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · East Acton · W12 ·
July
27
2017

Wulfstan Street, like all streets in the Wormholt and Old Oak Estate, was named after a Bishop of London.

The Wormholt and Old Oak Estates were constructed between 1912-1928 and represented part of a movement towards higher standards in public housing.

The 54 acres required for the Old Oak Estate was purchased by the London County Council (L.C.C) in 1905 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, 8 acres being re-sold to the Great Western Railway for its Ealing-Shepherds Bush branch. The estate was constructed in two phases, west of the railway and East Acton Station in 1912-13 and the eastern half in 1920-3 with fourteen houses added in 1927.

Since they were built, internal standards have continued to rise, but their external quality is now rarely equalled in either private or public housing. Because of their high standard of streetscapes, in May 1980, Hammersmith and Fulham Council decided to designate the estates as a Conservation Area.




Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx



 

East Acton

East Acton is an area in west London.

Anciently, East Acton and Acton developed as separate settlements and the nearby districts of North Acton, West Acton and South Acton were developed in the late nineteenth century.

East Acton, largely separated from London by Wormwood Scrubs developed later and was mainly agricultural until after the arrival of the underground railway.

East Acton station opened in 1920 on the Ealing Broadway extension of the Central London Railway (CLR), which was renamed the Central line in 1937.

The new line was built with connections to the West London Line near Shepherd’s Bush, the former GWR main line to Birmingham at North Acton, and the main line to Bristol at Ealing Broadway.

Since the CLR was exclusively a passenger service, two extra dedicated tracks for the GWR’s freight trains were opened in 1938, but were closed in 1964. The trackbed of these rails is now overgrown, with vegetation visible immediately to the north of the station.

East Acton was mentioned frequently in the classic 1950s radio comedy series the Goon Show, as the Goons used to rehearse in a room over a greengrocers in East Acton.
Print-friendly version of this page