East Acton is an area in west London.
Askew Road is named after a local landowning family, the Askews, who also owned substantial land in Gloucestershire.
At the turn of the nineteenth century, the local area was farmland - mainly orchards and market gardens which supplied fresh produce to the city of London. There was a track — Gaggle Goose Green — connecting two main routes into London, the Uxbridge Road
and Goldhawk Road
. The area halfway along the track was known as Starch Green.
As urbanisation continued, a growing demand for building materials encouraged many farmers to turn to brickmaking since the clay hereabouts was of good quality. The process created many lakes and ponds. Between 1870 and 1890 over 17 million bricks were produced with the 50 acre Stamford Brook brickfield employing 250 people.
In the latter half of the century, new tram and train services made the area attractive to clerks and other City workers and affordable housing started to cover the fields. Askew Road became a commercial centre at this time with a particular specialisation in laundries.
During the Second World War, a concrete shelter was built for public use in Wendell Park
. The area suffered badly during the war with the Sun pub receiving a direct hit.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Anciently, East Acton and Acton developed as separate settlements and the nearby districts of North Acton, West Acton and South Acton were developed in the late nineteenth century.
East Acton, largely separated from London by Wormwood Scrubs developed later and was mainly agricultural until after the arrival of the underground railway.
East Acton station opened in 1920 on the Ealing Broadway extension of the Central London Railway (CLR), which was renamed the Central line in 1937.
The new line was built with connections to the West London Line near Shepherd’s Bush, the former GWR main line to Birmingham at North Acton, and the main line to Bristol at Ealing Broadway.
Since the CLR was exclusively a passenger service, two extra dedicated tracks for the GWR’s freight trains were opened in 1938, but were closed in 1964. The trackbed of these rails is now overgrown, with vegetation visible immediately to the north of the station.
East Acton was mentioned frequently in the classic 1950s radio comedy series the Goon Show, as the Goons used to rehearse in a room over a greengrocers in East Acton.