Barnet Gate Lane, EN5
Road in/near High Barnet, existing between 1806 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Barnet GateHigh Barnet is the name of the terminus of the Northern Line but is actually within the original Barnet - Chipping Barnet.
Lane runs from Barnet Road before its name changes to Mays Lane when it reaches Totteridge.
Lane is named after Barnet Gate
. There was never a tollgate here as is often the case with places named ‘Somewhere Gate’ – just a barrier that prevented cattle from straying onto Barnet Common.
It was first called Grendel’s Gate
, after the monster slain by Beowulf, and it has been suggested that the use of such a portentous name may have indicated a place of some significance in Saxon times.
It was certainly more important than it is now, for manor courts were held here in the Middle Ages and Hendon Wood Lane
was a busy thoroughfare that may have been a Roman road. Roman coins, now lost, were found at Barnet Gate
some years ago.
mill (also known as Arkley Mill) was built in 1806 and survives today in the back garden of a private house, east of Brickfield Lane
. The mill is visible slightly above and to the left of the centre of the satellite map below.
High Barnet station, though planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway), was originally opened on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over). It was the terminus of a branch line that ran from Highgate and was built over the original site of the Barnet Fair.
The High Barnet branch was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940.
The area was the site of the Battle of Barnet in 1471, where Yorkist troops led by King Edward IV killed the rebellious "Kingmaker" Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick and Warwick’s brother, John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu.