North Dulwich

Rail station, existing between 1868 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.204.189.171 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Rail station · North Dulwich · SE21 ·
FEBRUARY
13
2019

North Dulwich, despite being a Victorian-era station is an estate agent invention as a district.


Given the cache of the term ’Dulwich’, the half of Herne Hill which lies in the London Borough of Southwark rather than Lambeth has recently become the ‘North Dulwich Triangle’ which is comprised of the roads contained within the triangle bordered by Half Moon Lane, Herne Hill and Red Post Hill.

North Dulwich station itself - just about within the triangle - was designed in a hybrid classical style by Charles Barry, Jr. and built in 1868 by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. It is listed Grade II on the National Heritage List for England as is the K6 telephone kiosk inside the portico of the station.

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF NORTH DULWICH
Ardbeg Road, SE24 Ardbeg Road is named after a village in Argyll.
Beckwith Road, SE24 Beckwith Road was named after William Beckwith Towse, who, as trustee of this estate, was responsible for laying out the building plots.
Casino Avenue, SE24 ’Casino’ was a house built in 1800 by Richard Shawe.
Danecroft Road, SE24 Danecroft Road was built on the site of Carlton House mansion and its gardens.
Elfindale Road, SE24 Elfindale Road is one of the streets of London in the SE24 postal area.
Elmwood Road, SE24 Elmwood Road was named in 1891 after Elm Cottage and Elm Field.
Frankfurt Road, SE24 Frankfurt Road was laid out on the site of Frankfurt Villa, a house on Herne Hill.
Half Moon Lane, SE21 Half Moon Lane is an old road that joins Herne Hill with North Dulwich station.
Half Moon Lane, SE24 Half Moon Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE24 postal area.
Holmdene Avenue, SE24 Holmdene Avenue is one of the streets of London in the SE24 postal area.
Pond Mead, SE21 Pond Mead takes its name from Pond House (formerly Pond Place).
Red Post Hill, SE21 Red Post Hill is one of the streets of London in the SE21 postal area.
Red Post Hill, SE24 Red Post Hill was the ancient highway leading from Dulwich to London
Ruskin Walk, SE24 Ruskin Walk was originally a pathway named Simpson’s Alley.
Village Way, SE21 Village Way links Half Moon Lane and Dulwich Village.
Warmington Road, SE24 Warmington Road was named after a parish in Warwickshire.
Wyneham Road, SE24 Wyneham Road is a road in the SE24 postcode area



VIEW THE NORTH DULWICH AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH DULWICH AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH DULWICH AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH DULWICH AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NORTH DULWICH AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Dulwich

Dulwich - home of the first compiler of the London A-Z, Phyllis Pearsall.

Dulwich is an area of South London, derives from Dill, a white flower, and Wihs, meaning a damp meadow, giving a meaning of 'the meadow where dill grows'. In 1538, Henry VIII seized control of Dulwich and sold it to goldsmith Thomas Calton for £609. Calton's grandson Sir Francis Calton sold the Manor of Dulwich for £4900 in 1605 to Elizabethan actor and entrepreneur Edward Alleyn. He vested his wealth in a charitable foundation, Alleyn's College of God's Gift, established in 1619. The charity's modern successor, The Dulwich Estate, still owns 1500 acres in the area, including a number of private roads and a tollgate. Alleyn also constructed a school, a chapel and alms houses in Dulwich. Dulwich Almshouse Charity and Christ's Chapel of God's Gift at Dulwich (where Alleyn is buried) still fulfill their original functions.

In the 17th century, King Charles I of England visited Dulwich Woods on a regular basis to hunt.

In 1739, Francis Cox, master of the Green Man, a tavern situated about a mile south of the village of Dulwich, sunk a well for his family. The water was found to be possessed of purgative qualities, and was for some time used medicinally. While the water was popular much custom was drawn to the adjoining tavern, and its proprietor flourished. The oak-lined formal avenue, known as Cox's Walk, leading from the junction of Dulwich Common and Lordship Lane was cut by Cox to connect his establishment of the Green Man Tavern and Dulwich Wells with the even more popular Sydenham Wells.

In 1935, Phyllis Isobella Pearsall, a portrait painter, was on her way to a party. She tried to follow the best available map of the time (a 1919 Ordnance Survey map). She discovered that this map was not up to the task, and ended up getting lost on her way there. Following a conversation during this party, she conceived the idea of mapping London. She claims that the next day, she started mapping London. This involved walking the 3000 miles of the 23 000 streets of London, waking up at 5 am every day, and not going to bed until after an 18-hour working day. (Other sources cast total doubt on this story).

In 1936, when her map was complete, she printed 10 000 copies and began contacting bookstores who might sell it. She tried Hatchards in Piccadilly, Selfridge's, where they would not see her without an appointment, and Foyle's. None of them would take it. Next she went to W H Smith, where they ordered 1250 copies. They sold well and within weeks she was taking orders from every railway station in the south of England. F W Woolworth took a few thousand copies too. By 1938 the London A-Z was well-established.

In 1966, she turned her company, the Geographers' A–Z Map Co, into a trust to ensure that it was never bought out. This secured the future of her company and its employees. Through her donation of her shares to the trust, she was able to enshrine her desired standards and behaviours for the company into its statutes.

A respected typographer, although not credited with the design of any typefaces, her arrangement of type is considered one of the most interesting of her age. The 'A to Z' type-style is a classic piece of typography by Eric Gill.
Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.