Bulwer Street, W12

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.95.63.218 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Abdale Road · Addison Avenue · Addison Crescent · Addison Gardens · Addison Place · Addison Road · Aldine Street · Anglesea Arms · Ansleigh Place · Ariel Way · Arminger Road · Astrop Terrace · Augustus Close · Australia Road · Bamborough Gardens · Bangor Street · Bangor Street · Bangor Street · Batman Close · Beauclerc Road · Belushi’s · Bentworth Road · Bird In Hand · Bloemfontein Avenue · Bloemfontein Road · Bloemfontein Way · Blue Peter Garden · Bolingbroke Road · Boscombe Road · Bourbon Lane · Brackenbury Gardens · Brading Terrace · Bulwer Street · Canada Way · Cape Nursery · Carthew Villas · Cathnor Road · Caxton Road · Central Bar · Charecroft Way · Clarendon Road · Collingbourne Road · Commonwealth Avenue · Coningham Road · Corner of Bangor and Sirdar Road · Coverdale Road · Creighton Close · Cressy Court · Crown & Sceptre · Defectors Weld · Depot Road · Devonport Road · Dewhurst Road · Dorando Close · Elgin Avenue · Elgin Close · Ellerslie Road · Ethelden Road · Findon Road · Franco-British Exhibition · Freston Road · Frithville Gardens · Frog Island · Gainsborough Court · Galloway Road · Garden Bar and Grill · Godolphin Road · Goldhawk Mews · Goldhawk Road · Goldhawk Road · Goodwin Road · Hansard Mews · Havelock Close · Hetley Road · Hippodrome Place · Holland Gardens · Holland Road · Holland Villas Road · Hopgood Street · Hudson Close · Imre Close · India Way · India Way · Ingersoll Road · Irving Road · Joslings Close · Kenley Street · Lawrence Close · Lime Grove · Loftus Road stadium · Loftus Road · Loris Road · Macfarlane Road · Mackenzie Close · Market Approach · Mary Place Workhouse · Melina Road · Melrose Gardens · Nicholas Road · Norland Place · Norland Square · Notting Dale · O’Donaghues · Oaklands Grove · Old Oak Farm · Parnell Close · Pennard Road · Portland Gate · Portland Road · Prince’s Yard · Princedale Road · Princes Place · Queens Tavern · Queensdale Place · Queensdale Road · Queensdale Walk · Relay Road · Richmond Way · Rifle Place · Rockley Court · Rosmead Road · Royal Crescent · Saint Anns Villas · Saint Stephen’s Avenue · Samuels Close · Scotts Road · Shepherd’s Bush Green · Shepherd's Bush Market · Shepherds Bush · Shepherds Bush Club · Shepherds Bush Empire · Shepherds Bush Road · Shepherd’s Bush Place · Silver Road · South Africa Road · St Anns Villas · St James’s Gardens · St James’s Gardens · St. Stephen’s Avenue · Stanlake Road · Stanlake Villas · Sterne Street · Stewart Arms · Stoneleigh Place · Stowe Road · Tadmor Street · Television Centre · The Academy · The Bull · The Green · The Havelock Tavern · The Media Village · The Network · The Richmond Arms · The Shepherd & Flock · The Sindercombe Social · The Trail · The White Horse · Thornfield Road · Thorpebank Road · Tunis Road · Upper Addison Gardens · Upper Road · Uxbridge Road · Vinery Way · Vinery Way · Walmer Road · Warbeck Road · Wells Road · Wells Road · West Cross Route · Westfield Way · White City · White City bus station · White City Close · White City Road · White City Stadium · Wilsham Street · Wingate Road · Wood Lane · Wood Lane (1914) · Wood Lane cottages (1890) · Wood Lane · Woodger Road · Woodsford Square · Woodstock Grove
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · White City · W12 ·
July
8
2017

Bulwer Street is a road in the W12 postcode area



VIEW THE WHITE CITY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE WHITE CITY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE WHITE CITY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE WHITE CITY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE WHITE CITY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

White City

White City was the place which defined the modern Marathon.

The area now called White City was level arable farmfields until 1908, when it was used as the site of the Franco-British Exhibition and the 1908 Summer Olympics. In 1909 the exhibition site hosted the Imperial International Exhibition and in 1910, the Japan-British Exhibition. The final two exhibitions to be held there were the Latin-British (1912) and the Anglo-American (1914), which was brought to a premature end by the outbreak of the First World War.

During this period it was known as the Great White City due to the white marble cladding used on the exhibition pavilions, and hence gave its name to this part of Shepherd's Bush.

The White City Stadium was demolished in 1985 to make way for the BBC White City building. Today, the 1908 Olympics are commemorated with a list of athletes inscribed on the side of the BBC Broadcast Centre Building, and the athletics finish line is marked in the paving outside the building.

The Marathon from these London Olympics played an important part in the development of the modern marathon race. In the early years of competitive international sport, the long distance marathon race did not have a standard set distance. The distance run at the first seven Olympics from 1896 to 1920 varied between 40km and 42.75 km. The starting point of the race at the 1908 Olympics was at Windsor Castle creating a distance of 26 miles 385 yards to the finishing line at White City stadium. In 1921 this was adopted as the standard distance.

To house the growing population of Shepherd's Bush, a five-storey housing estate was built in the late 1930s, which also took the name of the White City. Streets were named after countries that had featured in the exhibitions.

White City tune station was opened on 23 November 1947, replacing the earlier Wood Lane station. Its construction started after 1938 and had been scheduled for completion by 1940, but the Second World War delayed its opening for another seven years.

The architectural design of the station won an award at the Festival of Britain and a commemorative plaque recording this is attached to the building to the left of the main entrance.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.