Boston Manor

Underground station, existing between 1883 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.231.220.225 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Underground station · Boston Manor · TW8 ·
JUNE
9
2017

Boston Manor is a London Underground station serving the Boston Manor area between Brentford and Hanwell in west London.


Boston Manor station was opened by the District Railway (DR), on 1 May 1883 on a line to Hounslow Town (located on Hounslow High Street but now closed). The station was originally named Boston Road. The signs on the platforms gave the name as Boston Manor for Hanwell.

Electrification of the DR’s tracks took place between 1903 and 1905 with electric trains replacing steam trains on the Hounslow branch from 13 June 1905. The station was given its current name on 11 December 1911.

Between 1932 and 1934 the station was rebuilt to replace the 1883 station building.

The new station was designed by Stanley Heaps in the modern European style used elsewhere on the Piccadilly line by Charles Holden. The design uses brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Occupying a narrow site because of the approach to the adjoining depot, the station was built out over the tracks. The distinctive tower feature, with an illuminated leading edge and roundel rises high above the low structure and helps identify the station from a distance, was strongly influenced by contemporary Dutch and German architecture and was intended to create a landmark building amid an area of low-rise suburban housing.

Piccadilly line services, which had been running as far as Northfields since January 1933 were extended to run to Hounslow West on 13 March 1933 when the partially completed Boston Manor station was opened to passengers. Building works were completed on 25 March 1934.

District line services were withdrawn on 9 October 1964.

On 9 January 2013, the station appeared on a British postage stamp as part of a set commemorating the 150th anniversary of the first London underground train journey. The stamp’s caption read "Boston Manor Art Deco Station".


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF BOSTON MANOR
Boston Manor Road, TW8 Boston Manor Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Boston Manor Viaduct, TW8 Boston Manor Viaduct is a road in the TW8 postcode area
Boston Vale, W7 Boston Vale is a street in Hanwell.
Cawdor Crescent, W7 Cawdor Crescent is a street in Hanwell.
Cawdor Walk, E14 A street within the W7 postcode
Clitherow Passage, TW8 Clitherow Passage is a road in the TW8 postcode area
Clitherow Road, TW8 Clitherow Road is a road in the TW8 postcode area
Manor Vale, TW8 Manor Vale is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Shield Drive, TW8 Shield Drive is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Swyncombe Avenue, W5 Swyncombe Avenue is a street in Ealing.



 

Boston Manor

Boston Manor is a London Underground station serving the Boston Manor area between Brentford and Hanwell in west London.

Boston Manor station was opened by the District Railway (DR), on 1 May 1883 on a line to Hounslow Town (located on Hounslow High Street but now closed). The station was originally named Boston Road. The signs on the platforms gave the name as Boston Manor for Hanwell.

Electrification of the DR’s tracks took place between 1903 and 1905 with electric trains replacing steam trains on the Hounslow branch from 13 June 1905. The station was given its current name on 11 December 1911.

Between 1932 and 1934 the station was rebuilt to replace the 1883 station building.

The new station was designed by Stanley Heaps in the modern European style used elsewhere on the Piccadilly line by Charles Holden. The design uses brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Occupying a narrow site because of the approach to the adjoining depot, the station was built out over the tracks. The distinctive tower feature, with an illuminated leading edge and roundel rises high above the low structure and helps identify the station from a distance, was strongly influenced by contemporary Dutch and German architecture and was intended to create a landmark building amid an area of low-rise suburban housing.

Piccadilly line services, which had been running as far as Northfields since January 1933 were extended to run to Hounslow West on 13 March 1933 when the partially completed Boston Manor station was opened to passengers. Building works were completed on 25 March 1934.

District line services were withdrawn on 9 October 1964.

On 9 January 2013, the station appeared on a British postage stamp as part of a set commemorating the 150th anniversary of the first London underground train journey. The stamp’s caption read "Boston Manor Art Deco Station".
Print-friendly version of this page