Claremont Road, W10

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.88.161.108 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Allington Road · Alperton Street · Banister Road · Barfett Street · Bayswater Rivulet · Beethoven Street School · Beethoven Street · Birchington Road · Bridge House · Caird Street · Canterbury Works · Carlisle Road · Carlton Vale · Chamberlayne Farm · Chevening Road · Chippenham · Claremont Road · Claremont Road · College Yard · Corner of Caird Street and Lancefield Street (1910) · Corner of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road · Creighton Road · Dissenters’ Chapel · Droop Street · Dudley Road · Dunmore Road · Enbrook Street · Falcon · Farrant Street · Fernhead Road · Galton Street · Godson Yard · Granville Road · Halstow Road · Harrow Road · Harvist Road · Harvist Road · Hopefield Avenue · Hudson's the chemist (1906) · Huxley Street · Ilbert Street · Islamia Primary School · John Fearon Walk · Kempe Road · Kempe Road · Kensal House · Kensal Rise (1907) · Keslake Road · Keslake Road · Kilburn High Road · Kilburn Lane Farm · Kilburn Lane · Kilburn Park · Kilburn Park Farm · Kilburn Park Road · Kilravock Street · Kingswood Avenue · Lancefield Coachworks · Lothrop Street (1907) · Lothrop Street · Malvern Mews · Milman Road · Montrose Avenue · Mozart Street · Oliphant Street · Parlour · Peach Road · Peel Precinct · Pember Road · Pennymore Walk · Peploe Road · Prince of Wales · Princess Road · Queen's Park · Queens Park Community School · Queens Park Estate · Queen’s Park · Queen’s Park Library · Quex Road · Radnor Road · Regent Street · Ronan Walk · Royal British Legion (West Kilburn) Ltd · Saint John the Evangelist · Salusbury Road · St Augustine’s Church of England High School · St Laurence Close · St Laurences Close · Stansbury Square · Station Terrace · Summerfield Avenue · The Betsy Smith · The Chamberlayne · The Cock Tavern · The Old Bell · The Paradise · The Salusbury · The Underground Map · The Victoria (1920s) · The Whippet Inn · Wellington Road · West Kilburn · William IV · Windermere Avenue · Wymering Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Queen's Park · NW6 ·
July
8
2017

Claremont Road is a road in the W10 postcode area



VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEEN'S PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Land ownership in Willesden (1823) FREE DOWNLOAD
Map of land ownership in the Willesden area in 1823
City of London Corporation

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.