Aisgill Avenue, W14

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1970s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.205.109.82 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · West Kensington · W14 ·
July
8
2017

Aisgill Avenue is a road in the W14 postcode area



xxx

User unknown/public domain

VIEW THE WEST KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE WEST KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE WEST KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE WEST KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE WEST KENSINGTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

West Kensington

West Kensington station was opened in 1877.

At the beginning of the nineteenth century this was the northern part of the Fulham Fields, a rural area of nurseries, market gardens and small fanns supplying produce to Londoners. The transformation from country idyll to city suburb was hastened by speedier travel to London’s business and commercial centres: the Metropolitan District Railway (now the District Line) was extended from Earls Court to Hammersmith in 1874 with one station on the way, North End (Fulham), which became West Kensington in 1877. The Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (now the Piccadilly Line) arrived in Hammersmith thirty years later, and Barons Court station was opened in 1905. There was never a baron’s court here, the name merely imitated the popular Earl's Court. Encouraged by the arrival of the railways, building firms laid out their tidy housing developments between 1870 and 1890: much work was done by the local firm of Gibbs and Flew, who built the Margravine Estate. In untidy contrast, the older roads wriggle across this area: North End Road from north to south, and Margravine and Greyhound Roads from west to east.

The notable landmarks in this area were provided for Fulham’s burgeoning population. To take advantage of the increased income and leisure of the middle classes, the private Queen's Club was started in 1886. In the 1890s some football internationals were held there, but today it is known as the venue for the pre—Wimbledon men’s tennis tournament.

Not far away is Charing Cross Hospital, which moved to Fulham in 1959. It was not however the first hospital here, since this had been the site of the Fulham Infirmary since 1850. Although originally the Fulham Union Workhouse with room for only thirty or so sick people, its facilities were increasingly called upon as the local population expanded.

By 1914 it was providing general medical and surgical care, as well as training nurses. After the amalgamation with Charing Cross a new hospital was built and pened in 1973.

Finally, on the east side of the hospital is Margravine Cemetery. Although in Fulham, this was the burial ground for Hammersmith after burials in London churchyards were forbidden for health reasons in 1855.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.