Chadwick Avenue, SW19
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Mainly Edwardian housing
Print-friendly version of this page South Wimbledon is a suburb - also known as Merton - and tube station in South London.
Chadwick Avenue is a road in the SW19 postcode area
Merton is ten minutes walk from Wimbledon
centre, and is most obviously recognised by the busy crossroads at which South Wimbledon
tube station is situated on one corner.
Admiral Nelson once had property in this part of London called Merton Place, and therefore a number of roads and pubs in the region (immediately to the east, and much further to the west, in Wimbledon
Chase) are named after historically relevant battles and ships. The Nelson's Arms pub is on the road to Colliers Wood.
station was designed by Charles Holden and was opened on 13 September 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London Railway (now part of the Northern Line).
station - not being actually in Wimbledon
- was given this name as it was thought that Wimbledon
had a higher social standing than its actual location of Merton. On the original plan it had the name Merton Grove
. For geographical accuracy, the station was originally named South Wimbledon (Merton)
and it appeared as such on early tube maps and on the original station platform signage.