Print-friendly version of this page South Wimbledon is a suburb - also known as Merton - and tube station in South London.
Ashen Grove was the name of a wood which gave its name to a farm.
Ashen Grove FarmLicence:
in Wimbledon Park had been built in 1633 when the Ashen Grove woodland was cleared.
The road dates from 1909-1910.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Merton is ten minutes walk from Wimbledon centre, and is most obviously recognised by the busy crossroads at which South Wimbledon tube station is situated on one corner.
Admiral Nelson once had property in this part of London
called Merton Place, and therefore a number of roads and pubs in the region (immediately to the east, and much further to the west, in Wimbledon Chase) are named after historically relevant battles and ships. The Nelson's Arms pub is on the road to Colliers Wood.
South Wimbledon station was designed by Charles Holden and was opened on 13 September 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London
Railway (now part of the Northern Line).
South Wimbledon station - not being actually in Wimbledon - was given this name as it was thought that Wimbledon had a higher social standing than its actual location of Merton. On the original plan it had the name Merton Grove
. For geographical accuracy, the station was originally named South Wimbledon (Merton)
and it appeared as such on early tube maps and on the original station platform signage.