Callcott Street, W8

Road in/near Notting Hill Gate, existing between 1851 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.80.60.248 
Abbey Court Hotel · Abbotsbury Close · Abbotsbury Road · Addison Road · Argyll Road · Arundel Gardens · Ashbourne Independent School · Aubrey House · Aubrey Walk · Ball Street · Bark Place · Bayswater · Bedford Gardens · Berkeley Gardens · Biba · Boyne Terrace Mews · Brunswick Gardens · Bulmer Mews · Callcott Street · Cambridge Place · Campden Grove · Campden Hill Gardens · Campden Hill Place · Campden Hill Square · Campden Hill Towers · Campden Hill · Caroline Place Mews · Caroline Place · Chepstow Corner · Chepstow Place · Chepstow Villas · Clarendon Road · Codrington Mews · College Park School · Colville Primary School · Cornwall Crescent · Dawson Place · Derry and Toms · Derry Street · Duchess of Bedford’s Walk · East Westbourne Grove · Edge Street · Elgin Crescent · Essex Villas · Evesham House · Farm Place · Farmer Street · Fox Primary School · Garway Road · Gloucester Walk · Hallfield Primary School · Hawkesdown House · Hereford Road · Hillgate Place · Hillgate Street · Hippodrome Place · Holland Park · Holland Park · Holland Park Avenue · Holland Park Mews · Holland Park Roundabout · Holland Park School · Holland Park · Holland Park · Holland Villas Road · Horbury Chapel (Kensington Temple) · Horbury Crescent · Horbury Mews · Hyde Park Hostel · Ilchester Gardens · Jameson Street · Kensington · Kensington Apartment · Kensington Gardens Square · Kensington Mall · Kensington Palace · Kensington Palace Gardens · Kensington Park Gardens · Kensington Park Road · Kensington Park School · Kensington Place · Kensington Roof Garden · La Scuola Italiana A Londra · Ladbroke Gardens · Ladbroke Grove · Ladbroke Road · Ladbroke Square Garden · Ladbroke Square · Ladbroke Terrace · Ladbroke Walk · Lansdowne Crescent · Lansdowne Cresent · Lansdowne Mews · Lansdowne Rise · Lansdowne Road · Lansdowne Walk · Ledbury Mews West · Leinster Square · Linden Mews · Lucerne Mews · Mercury Theatre · Monmouth Road · Moscow Place · Moscow Road · Newcombe House · Norland Place School · Norland Place · Norland Square · Notting Hill · Notting Hill Gate · Notting Hill Gate · Notting Hill Gate · Observatory Gardens · Orme Lane · Orme Square · Ossington Street · Palace Avenue · Palace Court · Pembridge Hall School · Pembridge Place · Pembridge Place · Pembridge Road (1900s) · Pembridge Road · Pembridge Road · Pembridge Square · Phillimore Place · Poplar Place · Porchester Gardens Mews · Portland Gate · Portland Road · Prince’s Square · Prince’s Yard · Princedale Road · Princes Place · Princes Square · Queens Mews · Queensborough Passage · Queensborough Studios · Queensdale Walk · Queensway · Redan House · Redan Place · Rede Place · Rosmead Road · Royal Garden Hotel · Saint Petersburgh Place · Salem Road · Southbank International School Kensington · St Clement and St James CofE Primary School · St John’s Hill · St John’s Mews · St John’s · St Mary Abbots CofE Primary School · St Peter’s Notting Hill · St Petersburgh Mews · St. Johns Gardens · St. John’s Gardens · Stanley Crescent · Stanley Gardens Mews · Stanley Gardens · The Broad Walk · The Broad Walk · The Broadwalk · The Broadwalk · The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial RC School · Thornwood Gardens · Upton Farm · Uxbridge Street · Vernon Yard · Victoria Gardens · Westbourne Grove · Westbourne Grove · Wetherby Preparatory School · Whiteley's · Wilby Mews · Windsor Court · Woodsford Square · Wycombe Square · York Passage · Young Street
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Notting Hill Gate · W8 · Contributed by The Underground Map
FEBRUARY
3
2019

Callcott Street is a small street between Uxbridge Street and Hillgate Place.

The area itself is sometimes known as ‘Hillgate Village’. The houses are small terraced Victorian houses one two floors plus basements, and are painted in a multitude of colours from dark blue to light green.

The street is tree-lined and has a village feel to it. At the end of the street is a small old-fashioned neighbourhood pub called the Uxbridge Arms.

It was part of the estate known as The Racks. Then William Johnson and Joseph Clutterbuck began turning what had been a brickfield into a residential area.

Clutterbuck died in about 1851 having made a start on development, using other builders to carry out the work. William Johnson continued selling off plots. Over 200 houses were built in the following decade, with a large number of individual builders constructing a few houses each.

Clutterbuck, or builders appointed by him, were responsible for the construction of houses in Calcott Street (formerly William Street).

Citation information: Kensington Streets

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL GATE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL GATE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL GATE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL GATE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING HILL GATE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Notting Hill Gate

Notting Hill Gate tube station is a London Underground station on the Central Line.

Notting Hill Gate is home to a variety of stores, restaurants, cafés and estate agents as well as more specialist stores which include rare records and antiques, as well as two historic cinemas, the Coronet (originally opened as a theatre in 1898) and The Gate, as well as also several bars and clubs.

Much of the street was redeveloped in the 1950s with two large tower blocks being erected on the north and south sides of the street.

The sub-surface Circle and District line Notting Hill Gate station platforms were opened on 1 October 1868 by the Metropolitan Railway as part of its extension from Paddington to Gloucester Road. The Central line platforms were opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway. Entrances to the two sets of platforms were originally via separate station buildings on opposite sides of the road and access to the CLR platforms was originally via lifts.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.