Cenacle Close, NW3

Road which has existed since the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.163.22.209 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Child's Hill · NW3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
July
11
2017



Cenacle Close is a road in the NW3 postcode area



ADD A STORY TO CENACLE CLOSE

Do you come from Cenacle Close, NW3, or know it well? Tell your story here.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Cenacle Close, NW3:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
nwtSloto
nwtSloto   
Added: 16 Nov 2018 02:13 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:1:53416
Post by nwtSloto: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

cheapest cialis generic cialis cialis online pharmacy buy cialis

bafSloto
bafSloto   
Added: 16 Nov 2018 02:05 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:2:53416
Post by bafSloto: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

tadalafil generic ?»?cialis cialis generic cialis

nwtSloto
nwtSloto   
Added: 15 Nov 2018 16:15 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:3:53416
Post by nwtSloto: Brondesbury

tadalafil cialis cialis online tadalafil tablets buy cialis

nfhinema
nfhinema   
Added: 15 Nov 2018 03:09 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.93
2:4:53416
Post by nfhinema: Frognall Grove

cialis pills buy cialis online cialis for sale cialis

fujinema
fujinema   
Added: 14 Nov 2018 23:31 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.93
2:5:53416
Post by fujinema: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

discount cialis cialis cialis pills ?»?cialis online

bshEmuts
bshEmuts   
Added: 14 Nov 2018 21:57 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.97
2:6:53416
Post by bshEmuts: Frognall Grove

buy cheap cialis buy cialis online cialis daily online cialis

bafSloto
bafSloto   
Added: 14 Nov 2018 11:51 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:7:53416
Post by bafSloto: Frognall Grove

cheap cialis online cialis buy tadalafil ?»?cialis

nwtSloto
nwtSloto   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 20:47 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:8:53416
Post by nwtSloto: Frognall Grove

generic cialis online cialis cialis canada buy cialis

xhjEmuts
xhjEmuts   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 17:49 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.97
2:9:53416
Post by xhjEmuts: Frognall Grove

cialis soft cialis buy do you need a prescription for cialis ?»?cialis online

xhjEmuts
xhjEmuts   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 15:01 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.97
2:10:53416
Post by xhjEmuts: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

cialis pills ?»?cialis online buy cialis without prescription cialis buy

nfhKaree
nfhKaree   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 05:14 GMT   
IP: 46.119.127.157
2:11:53416
Post by nfhKaree: Brondesbury

cialis tadalafil buy cialis cialis buy cialis

nfhKaree
nfhKaree   
Added: 13 Nov 2018 02:19 GMT   
IP: 46.119.127.157
2:12:53416
Post by nfhKaree: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

order cialis online cialis buy cialis tadalafil online cialis

bsfSloto
bsfSloto   
Added: 12 Nov 2018 23:25 GMT   
IP: 178.159.37.39
2:13:53416
Post by bsfSloto: Brondesbury

liquid tadalafil cialis online cialis online buy cialis

bfgGluby
bfgGluby   
Added: 12 Nov 2018 20:40 GMT   
IP: 46.118.127.109
2:14:53416
Post by bfgGluby: Hampstead Parochial Church of England Primary School

cialis professional ?»?cialis online cialis reviews generic cialis online

bfgGluby
bfgGluby   
Added: 12 Nov 2018 16:30 GMT   
IP: 46.118.127.109
2:15:53416
Post by bfgGluby: Frognall Grove

what is tadalafil online cialis cialis for sale cialis generic

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Nov 2018 23:40 GMT   
IP:
3:16:53416
Post by LDNnews: Swiss Cottage
Uefa Nations League permutations: Boost for England as Croatia beat Spain 3-2
England’s hopes of qualifying for next summer’s Uefa Nations League Finals are still alive after Croatia beat Spain 3-2 in Zagreb on Thursday night.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/uefa-nations-league-permutations-boost-for-england-croatia-beat-spain-a3991626.html

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Child's Hill

Childs Hill, now a select area, was formerly reknowned for bricks and laundering.

It was the south-easternmost point of the ancient parish of Hendon. The settlement at Childs Hill is certainly medieval, possibly the 10th century settlement Codenhleawe (which has come down to us as Cowhouse), and was owned by Westminster Abbey.

Although a John Knot de Childes Hill is associated with the Peasants’ Revolt, the earliest known use of the place name Child’s Hill is 1593. The name is probably taken from a family of the same name who held land in Hendon in the 14th century. It has been suggested that the Castle Inn was a small Civil War (1642-49) gun emplacement guarding the Edgware Road. The first record of the Castle Inn however is 1751.

Child’s Hill was a centre for brick and tile making during the second half of the 18th century, supplying material for building Hampstead (which is to the east nearby), and run by a Samuel Morris. Being more than 259 ft above sea level (at the Castle Inn), Child’s Hill is visible for miles around. From 1808 to 1847 there was an optical telegraph station, one in a line from the Admiralty to Great Yarmouth. Only the name, Telegraph Hill, remains.

An Act of Parliament in 1826 allowed for the construction of the Finchley Road (completed by 1829) with a tollgate at the Castle Inn. In the early 1850s a Colonel Evans built houses in a field called The Mead (later renamed Granville Road). By the 1870s a number of laundries, servicing much of Victorian era West London, were established in The Mead. Clothes washed in London were thought to be susceptible to water borne disease, such cholera and typhoid, and Child’s Hill, then still in the countryside was supplied by a series of small streams coming off Hampstead Heath.

The population in the area was growing quickly. In 1856 a new church, All Saints’, was built (the third church in the parish of Hendon).

Further extensions were added between 1878 and 84, and in 1940 the church was so badly damaged by fire that it had to be substantially rebuilt in 1952. In 1884 the Pyramid Light Works, a candle manufactory, was established, the first factory in the Hendon area.

The opening of Child’s Hill Railway Station, now Cricklewood Station, in 1868 led to an increase in population, and the subsequent overcrowding reduced Child’s Hill into poverty, with cock-fighting, drunkenness, and vice.

Housing in 1903 was described as a disgrace to civilisation and in 1914 Hendon Urban District Council built its first council estate, with 50 houses.

In 1901 the land between Child’s Hill and Golders Green to the north was still farmland, but with the motorbuses (1906), the tube at Golders Green (1907), the trams (1909), and finally The Hendon Way (1927) farmland succumbed to suburbia, and the distinction between Golders Green and Child’s Hill was blurred. For entertainment Child’s Hill had The Regal in the Finchley Road (1929), which was first a skating rink then a cinema then a bowling alley. In the early 1960s many of the small Victorian houses in the Mead and around the Castle Inn were demolished.

----

A district on both sides of the Hendon-Hampstead border,  Childs Hill took its name from Richard le Child, who in 1312 held a customary house and 30 a., probably on the Hendon side. A similar estate was held at the same time by Richard Blakett, who gave his name to Blacketts well, which in 1632 was one of the boundary markers in the area and in 1801-2 was disputed in ownership. By the mid 18th century the Hampstead part of Childs Hill was divided in two by the road later called Platt’s Lane, which ran from West End and Fortune Green to the heath, Hampstead town, and Hendon. It was entirely occupied by two estates, both of which may have originated as land of the Templars. A farmhouse on the edge of the heath in the north part of the larger estate had apparently become detached from the farmland before 1811, when it was enlarged by Thomas Platt as a ’pleasing and unostentatious’ brick house set in well wooded grounds.
The arrival of the Finchley road lessened the area’s isolation. A house called Temple Park was built on the smaller Temples estate probably in the 1830s by Henry Weech Burgess, a prosperous Lancastrian. About the same time farm buildings were erected on Platt’s estate fronting Platt’s Lane. In 1843, on the western portion of Childs Hill estate, T. Howard built Kidderpore Hall, a stuccoed Greek revival house with a slightly projecting colonnade, side pediments, and a semicircular bay, for John Teil, an East India merchant with tanneries in the district of Calcutta from which the house took its name. The grounds became a private park and two lodges were added, one on the Finchley road in 1849, the other on Platt’s Lane in the late 1860s. On a field of Platt’s estate which jutted westward south of Teil’s estate, four houses fronting Finchley Road were built in the 1840s in the district called New West End. By 1870 the farm buildings at Platt’s Lane had been replaced by a house. Two cottages were built in Platt’s Lane by P. Bell of West End in 1875 and 13 houses, mostly by George Pritchard, between 1884 and 1886.
Some 9 and a half acres of Henry Weech Burgess’s estate had become a brickfield by 1864 and Temple Park had become the Anglo-French College by 1873. A few houses had been built in what became Burgess Hill by 1878 and in 1880 Weech Road was constructed between Fortune Green Road and Finchley Road on the portion of Teil’s estate purchased by the Burgesses in 1855. Four houses were built there in 1880 and another 12 in 1887 by A. R. Amer and Becket. In 1886 there was building at the AngloFrench college. In 1890 Kidderpore Hall was acquired by Westfield College, which made considerable additions to it in 1904-5, and the rest of the estate given over to the builders. Building, mostly of detached or semi-detached houses fronting Platt’s Lane, Finchley Road, Kidderpore Avenue, and Cecilia Road (later Kidderpore Gardens), was complete by 1913. C. F. A. Voysey designed Annesley Lodge, no. 8 Platt’s Lane, an L-shaped, roughcast house with sloping buttresses, ’astonishingly ahead of its date’, for his father in 1896 on the corner with Kidderpore Avenue. Next to no. 14 Kidderpore Avenue, built in 1901 by the artist George Swinstead, was St. Luke’s church, designed by Basil Champneys in 1898. At the southern end of the road was no. 4, built in 1900 in a highly decorated Tudor style.
In 1886 Joseph Hoare, son of Samuel and brother of John Gurney Hoare, died after living for some 40 years at Childs Hill House, to which he added a storey. Although not pulled down until c. 1904, Childs Hill House was empty by c. 1897 when building began on the estate. Between 1897 and 1913 Ferncroft, Hollycroft, and Rosecroft avenues were laid out and mostly semi-detached houses were built by George Hart. There were also several detached houses designed by C. H. B. Quennell, nos. 7 and 20 Rosecroft Avenue, designed in 1898, and Phyllis Court, no. 22, designed in 1905. Quennell designed several houses on the neighbouring demesne estate and Sir Guy Dawber, one of the architects of the nearby Hampstead Garden Suburb, was responsible for no. 46 Hollycroft Avenue, built in 1907. At much the same time building was proceeding on the Burgess Park (Temples) estate: the same builder, George Hart, was responsible for Briardale Road and Clorane Gardens, where the houses were built between 1900 and 1910. In 1905 on the Burgess Park estate 18 houses were built in Finchley Road, possibly including nos. 601 and 603 designed by Voysey, and by 1913 building was complete in Burgess Hill, Ardwick Road, and Weech Road and two houses had been built in Ranulf Road. In 1901 a small piece on the western side of the Burgess Park estate was added to the cemetery. A few years before, two houses had been built in Fortune Green Road on the estate facing the cemetery by undertakers. One, no. 128, noted for its Graeco-Egyptian stucco pastiche, survived. All Souls Unitarian church was built to the south at the junction with Weech Road in 1903 and Burgess Park Mansions to the north about the same time.
The cemetery did not blight development to the north and east as it had to the south and west, possibly because building north and east was necessarily later. Whereas in the 19th century proximity to cemeteries was disliked, by the 20th the open space in a built-up district was regarded as an asset. The whole of the Childs Hill area was classed in 1930 as middle-class and wealthy. There was building on all sites by the opening of the First World War and the only development between the wars was in Ranulf Road, where 13 houses were built by 1920 and the rest by 1930, at Westfield College to which additions were made in 1920-3, and at the corner of Fortune Green and Weech roads, where a block of flats, Weech Hall, replaced the Unitarian chapel in 1937.

During the Second World War bombing destroyed several houses on the Burgess Park estate, including some in Ardwick Road and two of Voysey’s houses, nos. 601 and 603 Finchley Road, which were replaced by houses designed by R. Seifert. A new block was added to Westfield College in 1962 but from 1945 until the 1980s Childs Hill remained essentially unchanged. Inhabitants have included Thomas Masaryk, later first president of Czechoslovakia, at no. 21 Platt’s Lane during the First World War, Leslie Brooke (d. 1940), the illustrator and father of Hampstead’s M.P. Henry, at no. 28 Hollycroft Avenue, and Jonas Wolfe, cinema pioneer, at no. 4 Kidderpore Avenue during the 1940s. The musical Craxton family owned no. 14 Kidderpore Avenue from 1945 and during the 1960s James Gunn (d. 1965), the portrait painter, lived at no. 7 Kidderpore Avenue.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Alice House:   What is now the Alice House has been through a number of incarnations since it was built in the early 1900s.
Beckford's Estate:   Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane.
Bracknell Way, NW3:   Bracknell Way is a small alleyway, usable only by pedestrians
Canterbury House:   In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End.
Cedars:   A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878.
Child's Hill:   Childs Hill, now a select area, was formerly reknowned for bricks and laundering.
Cholmley Lodge:   Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813.
Cock and Hoop:   The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723.
Emmanuel Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Flitcroft Estate:   Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End.
Golders Green:   Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green crossroads:   The name Golders Green apparently derives from that of a local family, the Goodyers, and was first recorded in 1612. The hamlet of Golders Green originated as a group of cottages on waste ground on each side of the main road. In 1754, manorial waste at Golders Green stretched for some distance on either side of the main road from Hampstead.
Golders Green crossroads:   Golders Green crossroads was formed when the new Finchley Road crossed North End Road in the 1830s.
Golders Green Hippodrome:   The Golders Green Hippodrome, was opened in 1913. Built next to Golders Green station, it was built as a 3000 seat music hall by Bertie Crewe.
Golders Hill Park:   
Golders Hill Park Deer Enclosure:   
Golders Hill School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 7. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Hackney College:   The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary.
Hampstead Cricket Club:   Hampstead Cricket Club moved to its Lymington Road site in 1877.
Hillfield:   By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records.
Hodford Farm:   The Hodford and Cowhouse estate consisted of a compact block of lands stretching from the Hampstead border to a point north of Golders Green station and from Cricklewood to Golders Hill.
Ionic Cinema:   The Ionic Cinema was built in the early days of Golders Green's suburban development.
Lauriston Lodge:   Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.
National School:   A National School was established in West End during 1844.
New West End:   New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road.
Poplar House:   Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter.
Potter's Iron Foundry:   In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry.
Ripley House:   Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge.
Saint Alban's church:   The church of St Alban, Golders Green, was built as a chapel-of-ease to All Saints’, Childs Hill, in 1910. It became the centre of a new parish taken from that of All Saints in 1922.
Sandwell House:   Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family.
St Anthony’s School for Girls:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
St Luke’s Church of England Primary:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
St Margaret’s School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 16.
Temple Park:   Temple Park is one of the smaller suburbs of north London.
The Black Lion:   The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house.
The King Alfred School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 18. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Wet Fish Cafe:   The Wet Fish Café is an Art Deco classic at 242 West End Lane.
Thorplands:   Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane.
Treherne House:   Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century,
West Cottages, NW6:   Cottages in London NW6.
West End Green:   West End Green is situated on a corner of West End Lane, formerly the location of West End Fair.
West End Hall:   West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead).
West Hampstead Police Station:   The Metropolitam Police established itself in West Hampstead during the 1880s.
West Hampstead Synagogue:   The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.
Woodbine Cottage:   Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Golders Green, looking south (1905):   This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years’ land speculation is already taking place.
Looking towards Temple Fortune (1905):   This image shows the arrival of street lamps on the hill leading up to Temple Fortune from Golders Green.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Achilles Road, NW6 · Ajax Road, NW6 · Aldred Road, NW6 · Alvanley Gardens, NW3 · Alvanley Gardens, NW6 · Ardwick Road, NW2 · Avenue Mansions, NW3 · Beaumont Gardens, NW3 · Beechworth Close, NW3 · Berridge Mews, NW6 · Beswick Mews, NW6 · Billy Fury Way, NW3 · Birchwood Drive, NW3 · Bracknell Gardens, NW3 · Bracknell Way, NW3 · Briardale Gardens, NW3 · Britten Close, NW11 · Buckingham Mansions, NW6 · Burgess Hill, NW2 · Burrard Road, NW3 · Burrard Road, NW6 · Cannon Hill, NW3 · Cannon Hill, NW6 · Carlton Close, NW3 · Carlton Mews, NW6 · Cenacle Close, NW3 · Chandos Way, NW11 · Chesterford Gardens, NW3 · Cholmley Gardens, NW6 · Corringham Court, NW11 · Corringham Road, NW11 · Corringway, NW11 · Crediton Hill, NW6 · Croft Way, NW3 · Croftway, NW3 · Crown Close, NW6 · Dennington Park Road, NW6 · Devonshire Place, NW2 · Doulton Mews, NW6 · Dresden Close, NW6 · Eden Close, NW3 · Elm Terrace, NW2 · Elm Terrace, NW3 · Elm Walk, NW3 · Fawley Road, NW6 · Ferncroft Avenue, NW3 · Finchley Road, NW11 · Finchley Road, NW2 · Finchley Road, NW6 · Fortune Green Road, NW3 · Fortune Green Road, NW6 · Frognal Lane, NW3 · Glenbrook Road, NW6 · Golders Green Crescent, NW11 · Golders Green Cresent, NW11 · Golders Green, NW11 · Golders Park Close, NW11 · Golders Way, NW11 · Grange Gardens, NW3 · Greenaway Gardens, NW3 · Hampstead Way, NW3 · Harvard Court, NW6 · Heath Close, NW11 · Heath Drive, NW3 · Heathview Court, SW19 · Heathway Court, NW3 · Helenslea Avenue, NW11 · Hermitage Lane, NW2 · Heysham Lane, NW3 · Hillfield Road, NW6 · Hollycroft Avenue, NW3 · Holmdale Road, NW6 · Honeybourne Road, NW6 · Hoop Lane, NW11 · Ingham Road, NW3 · Ingham Road, NW6 · Inglewood House, NW6 · Inglewood Road, NW6 · Kidderpore Avenue, NW3 · Kidderpore Gardens, NW3 · Kingdon Road, NW6 · Langland Gardens, NW3 · Lymington Road, NW6 · Lyncroft Gardens, NW6 · Madoc Close, NW2 · Mansion Gardens, NW3 · Marlborough Mansions, NW6 · Middleton Road, NW11 · Mill Lane, NW6 · Minton Mews, NW6 · Narcissus Road, NW6 · North End Road, NW11 · Oakhill Avenue, NW3 · Orestes Mews, NW6 · Palace Court, NW3 · Pandora Road, NW6 · Park Avenue, NW11 · Park Drive, NW11 · Parsifal Road, NW3 · Parsifal Road, NW6 · Pattison Road, NW2 · Platt’s Lane, NW2 · Platt’s Lane, NW3 · Platts Lane, NW3 · Prospect Road, NW2 · Redington Gardens, NW3 · Redington Road, NW3 · Reynolds Close, NW11 · Rodborough Road, NW11 · Rose Joan Mews, NW6 · Rosecroft Avenue, NW3 · Rotherwick Road, NW11 · Saint Albans Close, NW11 · Saint Albans Lane, NW11 · Salmon Mews, NW6 · Sandwell Crescent, NW6 · Solent Road, NW6 · Spode Walk, NW6 · St Albans Lane, NW11 · St Albans Vestry, NW11 · Station Forecourt, NW11 · Studholme Court, NW3 · Sumatra Road, NW6 · Telegraph Hill, NW3 · Templewood Avenue, NW3 · Templewood Gardens, NW3 · The Park, NW11 · Weech Road, NW6 · Welbeck Mansions, NW6 · Wellgarth Road, NW11 · West Cottages, NW6 · West Heath Avenue, NW11 · West Heath Avenue, NW3 · West Heath Close, NW3 · West Heath Court, NW11 · West Heath Drive, NW11 · West Heath Gardens, NW2 · West Heath Gardens, NW3 · West Heath Road, NW3 · Westover Hill, NW3 · Worcester Mews, NW6 · Wycombe Gardens, NW11 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

What is Cenacle Close, NW3 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

The Fascination of Hampstead
By G. E. Mitton (1902)
Golders Green
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.