Aldren Road, SW17
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page Earlsfield gets its name from a long-demolished 1860s mansion called 'Earlsfield' just south of Allfarthing Lane.
Aldren Road is a road in the SW17 postcode area
User unknown/public domain
In the 1860s, the whole area was an uninhabited stretch of open country, apart from the hamlet of Garratt to the south, famous in the eighteenth century for the bizarre political burlesque of the Election of the Mayor of Garratt which took place near the Leather Bottle.
Earlsfield finally started growing in the 1880s. The railway came in 1884, and in 1885 a vast workhouse was established on Swaffield Road. By 1900 developers had covered practically the whole area north of the station with terraced housing. In the years just after the First World War, Wandsworth Borough Council created the Magdalen Park Estate between Swaby Road and Openview.
Nowadays, Earlsfield is a commuter suburb with little industry.