Showing every road so far featured
(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).
Print-friendly version of this page North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.
Etchingham Court consists of blocks of flats which date from 1935.
Etchingham Lodge was an old Finchley Estate which was finally built upon.
The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End
, a name first used in 1462.
The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.
21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane
during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.
By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane
and not the High Road
In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.
In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove
. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.