St John's Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent's Park.
Frampton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
User unknown/public domain
St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex. The name derives from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order, which took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323. After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park, to the north of which lay St John’s Wood. Apart from short periods during the reign of Mary Tudor and Cromwell’s Protectorate, the area known as The St John’s Wood Estate remained Crown land until 1688.
Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area remained in agricultural use.
St John's Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density 'villa' housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century, even in expensive districts. Parts of St John's Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density, but it remains a highly desirable residential district, and one of the most expensive areas of London.
St John's Wood is the location of Lord's Cricket Ground, home of Middlesex County Cricket Club and the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), and original headquarters of the sport. It is also famous for Abbey Road Studios and the street Abbey Road, where The Beatles recorded, notably the Abbey Road album, the cover of which features the band crossing the road. Sir Paul McCartney has owned a property in the area since the 1960s and is regularly seen strolling along St John's Wood High Street.
The Rolling Stones referenced St John's Wood in their song Play With Fire
. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John's Wood, in the 1960s.
St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line's services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979.
With the opening of St John's Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord's (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John's Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.
The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord's Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.
The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.