Bramber Road, N12

Road in/near North Finchley, existing between 1911 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.231.21.123 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · North Finchley · N12 ·
November
27
2018

Bramber Road was built on the former land of the White House Estate.


George Knights Smith built up the White House Estate of about 60 acres between Woodhouse Road, Torrington Park, and Friern Barnet Lane.

After his death, it was bought by Frederic Crisp of Holloway.

The White House Estate was acquired in 1908 by the British Land Company. By 1911 Ashurst Road, Petworth Road, Bramber Road, Warnham Road and Buxted Road had been laid out between Woodhouse Road and Friern Park.

Lewes Road was later built and Horsham Road was constructed across the grounds of Brook House.

On 10 October 1940, a 1000kg bomb fell in the middle of Bramber Road, outside no 6. It buried itself in the road before the full force of the explosion blew a crater 60 feet across and 60 feet deep. No one was killed or seriously injured.

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

North Finchley

North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.

The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End, a name first used in 1462.

The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.

21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.

By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane and not the High Road).

In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.

In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.
Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.