Print-friendly version of this page Marble Arch station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway.
Connaught Close is a cul-de-sac off Connaught Street
Connaught Close is part of the Church Commissioners’ Hyde Park
Estate, and Westminster City Council’s Bayswater Conservation Area
Originally called Albion Mews North
, it contains ten properties behind the larger houses in Albion Street
and Hyde Park
The Mews runs north-south, is fairly small and curves around to the right half way down, where the cobbled surface turns into concrete.
Booth’s London Poverty Maps record the area in the late nineteenth century as being fairly comfortable with good, ordinary earnings.
In World War II, a bomb fell directly onto Connaught Close and several properties had to be rebuilt as a result.
Connaught Close is a good example of an original/ surviving Mews, now predominantly used for residential purposes. Notable alterations include small changes to the doors and fenestration, a conservatory and basement excavations.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch
was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street
, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.
The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.
The station was modernised in 2010 resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.