Avenue Close, NW8

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.208.211.150 
Abbey Gardens · Abercorn Close · Abercorn Walk · Acacia Road · Ainger Road · Albert Terrace Mews · Albert Terrace · Alexandra Road · Allitsen Road · Alma Square · Aquila Street · Ashbridge Street · Ashmill Street · Ashmill Street · Aubrey Place · Avenue Close · Avenue Road · Barbara Brosnan Court · Belgrave Gardens · Bernhardt Crescent · Blenheim Road · Blenheim Terrace · Bolton Road · Boundary Road · Boydell Court · Briary Close · Bridge Approach · Bridgeman Street · Broadley Street · Brocas Close · Broxwood Way · Capland Street · Carlton Hill · Cavendish Avenue · Cavendish Close · Chalcot Crescent · Chalcot Square · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm Parade · Charlbert Street · Charles Lane · Church Street · Circus Road · Clifton Court · Clifton Hill · Cochrane Mews · Cochrane Street · Cropthorne Court · Culworth Street · Cunningham Place · Denning Close · Dobson Close · Dorman Way · Eamont Street · Eliot Mews · Elm Tree Road · Elsworthy Road · Elsworthy Terrace · Erskine Mews · Erskine Road · Finchley Road · Fisherton Street · Frampton Street · Garden Road · Greenberry Street · Grendon Street · Grove End Road · Hall Road · Hamilton Close · Hamilton Gardens · Hamilton Terrace · Hampstead Theatre · Harben Road · Hatton Street · Henderson Drive · Henstridge Place · Hill Road · Hillside Close · Hillside Close · Hornby Close · Huson Close · Jerome Crescent · Juniper Crescent · King Henry’s Road · Kingsmill Terrace · Langford Place · Lisson Grove · Lodge Road · Loudoun Road · Luton Street · Mallory Street · Marlborough Hill · Marlborough Place · Meadowbank · Melina Place · Middle Field · Miles Buildings · Newcourt Street · Norfolk Road · North Bank · Northwick Close · Northwick Terrace · Nugent Terrace · Oppidans Mews · Oppidans Road · Ordnance Hill · Ormonde Terrace · Paveley Street · Penfold Street · Penfold Street · Plympton Place · Primrose Hill Road · Prince Albert Road · Queen’s Grove · Queen’s Terrace · Queensmead · Quickswood · Radlett Place · Regent’s Canal Towpath · Regent’s Park Road · Regents Mews · Regent’s Park · Rodney Court · Rossetti Mews · Rudgwick Terrace · Ryder’s Terrace · Saint Edmund’s Terrace · Saint George’s Terrace · Saint John’s Wood High Street · Saint John’s Wood Road · Saint John’s Wood Terrace · Salisbury Street · Sandringham Court · Scott Ellis Gardens · Sharples Hall Street · Springfield Road · St Edmund’s Terrace · St Edmund’s Terrace · St James’s Close · St John’s Wood High Street · St John’s Wood Park · St John’s Wood Road · St John’s Wood Terrace · St John's Wood · St Stephen’s Close · St. John’s Hall Flats · Swain Street · Swiss Cottage · Swiss Terrace · Tatham Place · The Lane · The Marlowes · Titchfield Road · Townshend Estate · Townshend Road · Tresham Crescent · Vale Close · Violet Hill · Wadham Gardens · Waverley Place · Wellington Place · Wellington Road · Wells Rise · Whitehaven Street · Winchester Road · Woronzow Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · St John's Wood · NW8 ·
August
7
2017

Avenue Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area


VIEW THE ST JOHN'S WOOD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE ST JOHN'S WOOD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE ST JOHN'S WOOD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE ST JOHN'S WOOD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE ST JOHN'S WOOD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

St John's Wood

St John's Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent's Park.

St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex. The name derives from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order, which took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323. After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park, to the north of which lay St John’s Wood. Apart from short periods during the reign of Mary Tudor and Cromwell’s Protectorate, the area known as The St John’s Wood Estate remained Crown land until 1688.

Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area remained in agricultural use.

St John's Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density 'villa' housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century, even in expensive districts. Parts of St John's Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density, but it remains a highly desirable residential district, and one of the most expensive areas of London.

St John's Wood is the location of Lord's Cricket Ground, home of Middlesex County Cricket Club and the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), and original headquarters of the sport. It is also famous for Abbey Road Studios and the street Abbey Road, where The Beatles recorded, notably the Abbey Road album, the cover of which features the band crossing the road. Sir Paul McCartney has owned a property in the area since the 1960s and is regularly seen strolling along St John's Wood High Street.

The Rolling Stones referenced St John's Wood in their song Play With Fire. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John's Wood, in the 1960s.

St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line's services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979.
With the opening of St John's Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord's (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John's Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.

The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord's Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.

The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.