Buxted Road, N12

Road in/near North Finchley, existing between 1913 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.170.81.210 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · North Finchley · N12 ·
MAY
23
2018

Buxted Road was laid out in 1913.


In the 1927 edition of Kelly’s Directory of Finchley and Friern Barnet, the name Buxted Road appears, but no houses are shown. By the 1929 edition there are 10 houses on the north side and 4 on the south side. Even by the 1939 edition, there were no houses beyond Horsham Avenue on the south side.


Main source: Home | Friern Barnet & District Local History Society
Further citations and sources


xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

North Finchley

North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.

The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End, a name first used in 1462.

The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.

21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.

By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane and not the High Road).

In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.

In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.
Print-friendly version of this page