Print-friendly version of this page North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.
Buxted Road was laid out in 1913.
In the 1927 edition of Kelly’s Directory of Finchley and Friern Barnet
, the name Buxted Road appears, but no houses are shown. By the 1929 edition there are 10 houses on the north side and 4 on the south side. Even by the 1939 edition, there were no houses beyond Horsham Avenue
on the south side.
The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End
, a name first used in 1462.
The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.
21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane
during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.
By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane
and not the High Road
In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.
In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove
. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.