Hatley Close, N11

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Housing stock dates between 1910 and 1925

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.205.211.87 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Friern Barnet · N11 · Contributed by The Underground Map
August
8
2017


Hatley Close appears for the first time in Kelly’s Directory of Finchley & Friern Barnet in 1935.



ADD A STORY TO HATLEY CLOSE
VIEW THE FRIERN BARNET AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE FRIERN BARNET AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE FRIERN BARNET AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE FRIERN BARNET AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE FRIERN BARNET AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Friern Barnet

Friern Barnet is located at the intersection of Colney Hatch Lane (running north and south), Woodhouse Road (taking westbound traffic towards North Finchley) and Friern Barnet Road (leading east towards New Southgate).

Friern Barnet was an ancient parish in the Finsbury division of Ossulstone hundred, in the county of Middlesex.

The area was originally considered to be part of Barnet, most of which was in Hertfordshire. By the 13th century the Middlesex section of Barnet was known as Little Barnet, before becoming Frerenbarnet and then Friern Barnet (sometimes spelt in other ways, such as "Fryern Barnett"). The "Friern" part of the parish’s name derives from the French for "brother" and refers to the medieval lordship of the Brotherhood or Knights of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.

The opening of railway stations on the Great Northern and Metropolitan Railways, in the mid-19th century, prompted some development.

But Friern Barnet parish remained largely rural until after the First World War. The building of Colney Hatch asylum in 1851 helped to cut off the area to the south, and the location of railways caused the edges of the parish to be built up first.

In 1883 the most populous and prosperous district was that of All Saints’, Whetstone. Most of the population lived in the Freehold, Avenue, and Holly Park districts, which had grown up around Colney Hatch.

The working-class Freehold, so-called in the late 19th century when the original ownership of the land had been forgotten, lay south of Bounds Green brook and east of Colney Hatch Lane. The Avenue was a similar area north-east of Colney Hatch, in the angle between Oakleigh Road South and Friern Barnet Road and separated by the railway from Holly Park, to the west. Relative densities of population were altered by building in the central and northern parts of the parish after 1920. More than ten per cent of the land was still open as late as 1975, most of it in the southern part.

Friern Barnet became part of the London Borough of Barnet in 1965.

OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
All Saints’ CofE Primary School · Arncliffe Close · Ashurst Road · Balmoral Avenue · Baron Close · Beaconsfield Close · Bethune Park · Catterick Close · Cheddar Close · Coppetts Close · Coppetts Wood Avenue · Coverdale Road · Deepdale Close · Duchess Close · Dudrich Close · Dwight School London · Earl Close · East Crescent · Fallowfields Drive · Firs Avenue · Friars Avenue · Friary Close · Friary Park · Friern Barnet · Friern Barnet Lane · Friern Barnet School · Friern Hospital · Goldsmith Road · Grassington Close · Gresham Avenue · Halliwick Manor House · Halton Close · Hampden Way · Hartland Road · Harwood Close · Hawthornden Close · Hillside Avenue · Hollickwood Avenue · Holly Park Primary School · Holly Park Road · Hollyfield Avenue · Joint Road · Kennard Road · Leadbeaters Close · Legion Way · Link Road · Otley Court · Park Close · Park Way · Park Way · Pegasus Way · Pinkham Way · Pond Close · Porters Way · Princess Park Manor · Queen’s Parade Close · Queens Well Avenue · Radstock Close · Ramsden Road · Regal Drive · Royal Drive · Short Way · Silver Birch Close · Skipton Close · St John’s CofE Junior Mixed and Infant School · Stanford Road · Sycamore Hill · The Compton School · Thurlestone Avenue · Torrington Park · Viscount Close · Wharfdale Close · Whetstone Close · Winterburn Close ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.