Battersea Park station was named after the nearby park.Battersea ParkPrint-friendly version of this page
is a 200 acre green space situated on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Chelsea.
station named after the park, and at first called York Road, opened in 1867.
The first station to carry the name Battersea Park
had been opened by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway as Battersea in 1860 and was located at the southern end of what is now Grosvenor Bridge.
It was named Battersea Park
on 1 July 1862 but was sometimes called Battersea Park
and Steamboat Pier. It closed on 1 November 1870 concurrently with the opening of Grosvenor Road
station situated at the north end of Grosvenor Bridge.
The London Brighton and South Coast Railway opened a high-level line between Pouparts Junction and Battersea Pier Junction on 1 May 1867 as a means of reducing congestion at Stewarts Lane.
York Road (Battersea) station opened at this time. The station was renamed Battersea Park
and York Road 1 January 1877 and Battersea Park
on 1 June 1885.