Signmakers Yard, NW1

Road in/near Camden Town

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
107.23.176.162 
Abacus Belsize Primary School · Agar Children’s Centre · Agar Grove · Agar Place · Agar Town · Albany Street · Albert Street · Albert Terrace Mews · Albert Terrace · Arlington Road · Augustus House · Augustus Street · Barker Drive · Bayham Place · Bayham Street · Baynes Street · Baynham Place · Beatty Street · Bergholt Mews · Bonny Street · Bridge Approach · Brill Place · Broadfield Lane · Broadfield Lane · Broadwalk · Bruges Place · Buck Street · Camden High Street · Camden Mews · Camden Park Road · Camden Road · Camden Road · Camden Square · Camden Street · Camden Town · Camden Town (1920) · Camden Town 1920s. · Camley Street · Camley Street · Carol Street · Cedar Way · Chalcot Square · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm Road · Chalton Street · Chenies Place · Chester Close North · Chester Court · Christ Church School · Clarence Way · Clarkson Row · Cliff Road Studios · Cliff Road · Cobham Mews · Collard Place · College Grove · College Place · Cooper’s Lane · Cranleigh Street · Crofters Way · Crowndale Court · Crowndale Road · Cumberland Market · Cumberland Terrace · Delancey Passage · Delancey Street · Early Mews · Edith Neville Primary School · Elm Friars Walk · Farrier Street · Georgiana Street · Gilbeys Yard · Gloucester Crescent · Gloucester Cresent · Gloucester Gate Mews · Godwin Court · Granary Street · Greenland Place · Greenland Road · Greenland Street · Harrington Street · Hawley Primary School · Inverness Street · Ivor Street · Jamestown Road · Jeffrey’s Place · Jeffrey’s Street · Jeffreys Place · Juniper Crescent · King’s Terrace · Kings Terrace · Lawfords Wharf · London Greek Orthodox Cathedral - All Saints · Lyme Street · Lyme Terrace · Mandela Street · Maria Fidelis Roman Catholic Convent School FCJ · Mary Terrace · Medburn Street · Miller Street · Mornington Crescent · Mornington Cresent · Mornington Street · Mornington Terrace · Murray Mews · Murray Street · North Bridge House Prep School · North Villas · Oakshott Court · Ossulston Estate · Our Lady Roman Catholic Primary School · Oval Road · Park Village East · Park Village Mews · Park Village West · Parkway · Penryn Street · Plender Street · Ploughmans Close · Pratt Mews · Pratt Street · Primrose Hill School · Prowse Place · Purchese Street · Randolph Street · Reachview Close · Reapers Close · Redhill Street · Regal Lane · Regent High School · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal Towpath · Regent’s Park Road · Regent’s Park Terrace · Regent’s Place Plaza · Regents Canal towpath · Regents Park Children’s Centre · Regents Park · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Park · Richard Cobden Primary School · Rochester Mews · Rochester Place · Rochester Road · Rochester Square · Rochester Terrace · Rossendale Way · Rousden Street · Royal College Street · Saint Augustine’s Road North West · Saint Pancras Way · Saint Paul’s Crescent · Saint Pauls Mews · Signmakers Yard · Somers Close · Somers Town · St Aloysius Catholic Primary School · St Katharines Precinct · St Martins Almshouses · St Martins Close · St Mary and St Pancras Church of England Primary School · St Michael’s Church of England Primary School · St Pancras Cruising Club · St Pancras Way · St Paul’s Crescent · St Pauls Mews · St. Augustine’s Road · St. Pancras Way · Stratford Villas · The Broadwalk · The Broadwalk · The Cavendish School · The Marr · The Polygon · The Royal Veterinary College · The Working Men’s College · Underhill Street · Unity Mews · Water Lane · Weavers Way · Wilmot Place · Wrotham Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Camden Town · NW1 · Contributed by The Underground Map
August
8
2017

Signmakers Yard is a road in the NW1 postcode area


VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Camden Town

Camden Town tube station is a major junction on the Northern Line and one of the busiest stations on the London Underground network. It is particularly busy at weekends with tourists visiting Camden Market and Camden High Street.

Camden is well-known for Camden Market which is a major tourist attraction, particularly busy at weekends, selling variety of fashion, antiques, lifestyle and bizarre goods; they (and the surrounding shops) are popular with young people, in particular those searching for alternative clothing.

It is an area popular with overseas students who come to Camden to learn English and find a job in one of the local bars or restaurants. The oldest established language school is Camden College of English, which is located at the Chalk Farm side of the market.

The Regent's Canal runs through the north end of Camden Town and is a popular walk in summer.

Camdem Town tube station began life as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) (now part of the Northern Line). As the line here branched into two routes, to Hampstead and to Highgate, the design of the station was rather unusual, shaped like a V. The line to Hampstead (now the Edgware Branch) is under Chalk Farm Road; the line to Highgate (now the High Barnet branch) is under Kentish Town Road. With the narrowness of the roads above, and the necessity to keep directly beneath them to avoid having to pay compensation to landowners during construction, on both lines the northbound platform is directly above the southbound one.

At the apex of the V is a junction allowing northbound trains to take either of the branches north, and likewise allow the trains south from the branches to join the single southbound track. This resulted in four connecting tunnels. When the CCE&HR and City & South London Railway lines were joined together after the City & South London Line became part of London Underground, a short extension from the Euston terminus of the City & South London was built to connect with each of the two northerly branches. This added another four tunnels to the junction, making it the most complex junction on the network.
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Mornington Crescent
Facebook Page
Camden Town
Facebook Page
Chalk Farm
Facebook Page
Euston
Facebook Page
Euston Square
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.