Frideswide Place, NW5

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
52.23.192.92 
Agar Grove · Allcroft Road · Anglers Lane · Archibald Road · Arctic Street · Ascham Street · Azania Mews · Barn Close · Barrington Close · Bartholomew Road · Bartholomew Villas · Bassett Street · Bellina Mews · Benevolent Institution for the Relief of Aged and Infirm Tailors · Brecknock Primary School · Brecon Mews · Busby Place · Busby Place · Camden Park Road · Camden Terrace · Carker’s Lane · Carleton Road · Carlton Primary School · Castle Mews · Cathcart Hill · Caversham Road · Chalk Farm · Chalk Farm Road · Charlton King’s Road · Church Avenue · Church Avenue · Clarence Way · Cliff Villas · Coity Road · Collard Place · College Francais Bilingue De Londres · Community Lane · Cressfield Close · Dowdney Close · Dunollie Place · Elaine Grove · Eleanor Palmer Primary School · Elfrida Rathbone Camden - Leighton Education Project · Evangelist Road · Falkland Road · Farrier Street · Fortess Road · Fortess Road · Fortress Road · Frideswide Place · Gaisford Street · Gilden Crescent · Gospel Oak · Gospel Oak Primary School · Grafton Road · Grafton Yard · Hampshire Street · Hampstead Heath · Hargrave Place · Hargrave Place · Harmood Children’s Centre · Haverstock School · Healey Street · Hemingway Close · Herbert Street · Hilldrop Lane · Holloway School · Holmes Road · Holy Trinity and Saint Silas CofE Primary School · Huddleston Road · Hugo Road · Hungerford Children’s Centre · Hungerford Primary School and Children’s Centre · Inkerman Road · Islip Street · Jeffrey’s Street · Kelly Street · Kentish Town · Kentish Town Church of England Primary School · Kentish Town Road · Kiln Place · La Petite Ecole Bilingue · Lady Margaret Road · Lawford Road · Leighton Crescent · Leighton Cresent · Leighton Grove · Leighton Place · Leighton Road · Leverton Street · Lewis Street · Little Green Street · Long Meadow · Lupton Street · Malden Crescent · Malden Road · Mansfield Road · Marquis Road · Marsden Street · Mead Close · Meru Close · Moelwyn Hughes Court · Montpelier Grove · Northpoint Square · Oak Village · Oakford Road · Oseney Crescent · Ospringe Road · Ospringe Road · Pandian Way · Pandian Way · Patshull Place · Patshull Road · Peckwater Street · Penderyn Way · Pleshey Road · Pleshey Road · Prince of Wales Road · Prince Of Wales Road · Queen’s Crescent · Queens Crescent · Raglan Street · Railey Mews · Raveley Street · Recycling Centre · Regis Road · Rhyl Primary School · Rhyl Street · River Fleet · Rochester Mews · Rochester Terrace · Rona Road · Saint Augustine’s Road North West · Saint Paul’s Crescent · Sandall Road · Sanderson Close · Southampton Road · Spring Place · Spring Place · St Dominic’s Catholic Primary School · St Dominic’s Priory · St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School · St Paul’s Crescent · St. Augustine’s Road · Talacre Road · Tansley Close · The Bridge Integrated Learning Space · The Bridge Satellite Provision · The Bridge School · The Camden School for Girls · Torriano Cottages · Torriano Primary School · Trecastle Way · Truro Street · Tufnell Park · Tufnell Park Primary School · Wandsworth Place · Warden Road · Wellesley Road · Wesleyan Place · Whitcher Place · Wilkin Street · Willes Road · Willingham Terrace · Woodyard Close
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Kentish Town · NW5 · Contributed by The Underground Map
August
8
2017

Frideswide Place is a road in the NW5 postcode area


VIEW THE KENTISH TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENTISH TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENTISH TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENTISH TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENTISH TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kentish Town

Kentish Town station is a London Underground and National Rail station in the London Borough of Camden in Travelcard Zone 2.

Kentish Town is first recorded during the reign of King John (1208) as Kentisston. By 1456 Kentish Town was recognised as a thriving hamlet, and in this period a chapel of ease is recorded as being built for the inhabitants.

The early 19th century brought a lot of modernisation, causing a lot of the area's rural charm, the River Fleet and the 18th century buildings to vanish.

Large amounts of land were purchased to build the first railway through the area, which can still be seen today. Kentish Town was a prime site for development as the Kentish Town Road was the main route for the growing city of London to the South.

1877 saw the beginning of mission work in the area as it was, by then, poor. The mission first held their services outside but as their funding increased they built a mission house, chapel, and vicarage.

In 1912 the Church of St Silas the Martyr was finally erected and consecrated, and by December of that year it became a parish in its own right.

Kentish Town was to see further modernisation in the post-World War II period. This means that there are few signs of 19th century influence left in the area.

Today Kentish Town is a busy shopping and business area. It offers libraries, gyms and other entertainments to visitors and its community.

The station was opened by the Midland Railway in 1868 on the extension to its new London terminal at St Pancras.

The separate London Underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR), a precursor of the Northern line. The station was designed by Leslie Green with the ox-blood red glazed terracotta facade and the semi-circular windows at first floor level common to most of the original stations on the CCE&HR and its two associated railways, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway and Great Northern Piccadilly & Brompton Railway which opened the previous year.
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Camden Town
Facebook Page
Kentish Town
Facebook Page
Tufnell Park
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.