Upper Woodcote Village was the first area of the Webb Estate to be completed.
Chartered surveyor William Webb designed his 260-acre estate as a concept of co-operation between architect and gardener. The estate was built around the imaginative use of of plants and shrubs, with each road having a different character.
Webb had bought the Foxley estate in 1888 and planted trees, flowers and hedgerows that were allowed to mature. Only in 1901 with the coming of the local tram service, were homes were built and offered for sale.
Upper Woodcote Village surrounds a green of four acres. When the green was first laid out, Webb introduced a flock of geese to a pond he had built in one corner. The pond was eventually filled in.
Webb was a Quaker and the Lord Roberts Temperance Inn - named after Field Marshall Lord Roberts - was a "pub with no beer." It was later a coffee shop and post office.
Most of the inner roads of the estate were laid out from 1907 and the plots were developed between 1912 and 1920.
User unknown/public domain