Print-friendly version of this page New Southgate was formerly known as the hamlet of Betstile.
Telford Road is part of the North Circular Road
West of Telford Road, the North Circular Road
is dualled for many miles. Here at Telford Road, the road narrows to two lane single carriageway to pass under a railway bridge.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
Before 1815 most of the houses lay in Hertfordshire or Edmonton, apart from Betstile House on the corner of Friern Barnet
and Oakleigh roads, but by 1846 others stood north of the road, on the site of the former Friern great park, and the former Friern Little park in Oakleigh Road had been divided into plots with cottages. Since the mid 19th century Betstile has been better known as New Southgate.
The railway station was built in 1851 as Colney Hatch & New Southgate or Colney Hatch changed its name five times such as from New Southgate for Colney Hatch to New Southgate and Friern Barnet
on 1 May 1923; its current name dates to 1971.