Somers Close, NW1

Road in/near St Pancras

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Agar Town · Albany Street · Albion Yard · Alexander the Great · Argyle Square · Baynham Place · Be At One · Beaconsfield Street · Beatrice · Beatty Street · Belgrove Street · Belushi’s · Bemerton Street · Bergholt Mews · Bidborough Street · Bingfield Park · Bingfield Street · Black Heart · Brill Place · British Library · Bucks Head · Cambridge Terrace Mews · Camden High Street · Camden Town · Camden Town (1920) · Camley Street · Canal Reach · Cardington Street · Cavali · Cedar Way · Chalton Street · Charles 1 · Chenies Place · Chester Close North · Chester Close South · Chester Terrace · Church Way · Clarence Gardens · Clarkson Row · Coach Road · College Grove · Cooper’s Lane · Cranleigh Street · Crestfield Street · Crinan Street · Crofters Way · Cromer Street · Crown & Anchor · Crowndale Court · Crowndale Road · Doric Way · Doric Arch · Drummond Crescent · Duke’s Road · Dukes Road · Earl of Camden · Earlsferry Way · Early Mews · Eastnor Castle · Edinboro Castle · Elixir Bar · Euston · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Square · Euston Tap · Everton Buildings · Exmouth Arms · Flaxman Terrace · Flaxman Terrace · Freight Lane · Freight Lane · Gatti’s Wharf · Goldington Crescent · Goldington Street · Goods Way · Grafton Place · Granary Street · Hamilton House · Hampstead Road · Handyside Street · Handyside Street · Harrington Street · Judd Street · Keystone Crescent · King’s Boulevard · King’s Cross Square · King’s Cross Station Concourse · King’s Terrace · King's Cross St Pancras · Koko · Lincoln Arms · London Greek Orthodox Cathedral - All Saints · Lower Carriage Drive · Lucas Arms · Lyttleton Arms · Mabel’s Tavern · Mabledon Place · McGlynn Freehouse · Medburn Street · Midhope Street · Midland Road · Midland Road · Miller’s Bar · Mornington Crescent · Mornington Cresent · Nash Street · Nelsons Wine Bar Ltd · Norfolk Arms · O’Neill’s · Oakshott Court · Ossulston Estate · Outram Place · Oxford Arms · Pancras Road · Pancras Road · Pancras Square · Park Village East · Pembroke Street · Penryn Street · Ploughmans Close · Pratt Street · Prince Arthur · Purchese Street · Queen’s Head · Randell’s Road · Randell’s Road · Regent Square · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Rhodes Farm · Royal George · Rufford Street Mews · Saint Pancras Way · Secrets · Shaker and Company · Sidmouth Street · Signmakers Yard · Skinners Arms · Smithy’s Wine Bar · Somers Close · Somers Town · Southern Street · Spread Eagle · St Aloysius Social Club · St Pancras · St Pancras Cruising Club · St. Chad’s Street · St. James Gardens · St. Pancras Way · Stable Street · Tankerton Street · Terrett’s Place · The 'Royal Blue' horse omnibus outside 5 Euston Road (1912) · The Blues Kitchen · The Boot · The Bree Louise · The Camden Head · The Circle · The Cock Tavern · The Constitution · The Dolphin · The Driver · The Electric Ballroom · The Euston Flyer · The Fellow · The Golden Lion · The Harrison · The Place Theatre Bar · The Polygon · The Purple Turtle · The Rocket · The Sheephaven Bay · The Star of Kings · The Stillery · The Victory · The Water Rats Club · The Wine Stores · The World’s End · Tiber Gardens · Treaty Street · Twyford Street · Undersolo · Unity Mews · Varndell Street · Wakefield Street · Weavers Way · Wellington Square · Westking Place · Whittlebury Street · Woburn Walk · York Road Curve · York Way · York Way
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · St Pancras · NW1 ·

Somers Close is a road in the NW1 postcode area

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


St Pancras

St Pancras railway station, celebrated for its architecture, is built on the site of the St Pancras suburb of London.

For many centuries the St Pancras name was used for various officially-designated areas, but it is now used mainly for the railway station and for upmarket venues in the immediate locality, having been largely superseded by other place names including Kings Cross, Somers Town, and Camden Town, or simply Camden.

St Pancras was originally a medieval parish, which ran from close to what is now Oxford Street north as far as Highgate, and from what is now Regent’s Park in the west to the road now known as York Way in the east, boundaries which take in much of the current London Borough of Camden, including its central part. However, as the choice of name for the borough suggests, St Pancras has lost its status as the central settlement in the area.

The original focus of the area was the church, now known by the retronym of St Pancras Old Church. The building is in the southern half of the parish, and is believed by many to be one of the oldest sites of Christian worship in Great Britain. However, in the 14th century the population moved en masse to Kentish Town, probably due to flooding by the River Fleet and the availability of better wells at the new location. A chapel of ease was established there, and the old settlement was abandoned, except for a few farms, until the growth of London in the late eighteenth century.

In the 1790s Earl Camden began to develop some fields to the north and west of the old church as Camden Town. About the same time, a residential district was built to the south and east of the church, usually known as Somers Town. In 1822 the new church of St Pancras was dedicated as the parish church. The site was chosen on what was then called the New Road, now Euston Road, which had been built as London’s first bypass, the M25 of its day. The two sites are about a kilometer apart. The new church is Grade I listed for its Greek Revival style; the old church was rebuilt in 1847. In the mid 19th century two major railway stations were built to the south of the Old Church, first Kings Cross and later St Pancras. The new church is closer to Euston Station.

By the end of the nineteenth century the ancient parish had been divided into 37 parishes, including one for the old church. There are currently 17 Church of England parishes completely contained within the boundaries of the ancient parish, all of which benefit from the distributions from the St Pancras Lands Trust, and most of which are in South Camden Deanery in the Edmonton Area of the Diocese of London.

St Pancras railway station was opened in 1868 by the Midland Railway as the southern terminus of its main line, which connected London with the East Midlands and Yorkshire. When inaugurated, the arched train shed by William Henry Barlow was the largest single-span roof in the world. Today, Midland main line services to Corby, Sheffield and Nottingham are operated by East Midlands Trains, and St Pancras is a stop on the Thameslink route as well as being the terminus of Southeastern high-speed trains to Kent.
Print-friendly version of this page


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.