Liberty Street, SW9
Road in/near Oval, existing between 1902 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.
Liberty Street runs south from Caldwell Street
to Durand Gardens
Liberty Street was one of the last streets in the area to build the suddenly-fashionable mansion block flats of the early Edwardian era.
The 54 flats of Wyke Mansions dominated Liberty Street and a later building was a council block. Freeman’s, the catalogue company, built large print works, warehouses and offices. The land at the top of the street facing Wyke Mansions was sold to various small companies including a bakery.
In 1996, industrial buildings were replaced by Bakery Close
and in 2009, Freeman’s was demolished to form Lett Road
and Printer’s Road, both of which connect to Liberty Street.
A new road completed the southern part of Liberty Street: Van Gogh Walk
The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval
, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.