Southey Road, SW9
Road in/near Oval, existing between the 1820s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.
Southey Road runs between Brixton Road
and Hackford Road
Some years after the laying out of the thoroughfare, the first housing was erected around 1830. At the time Southey Road was an almost rural lane.
In 1899, Cranworth Gardens
was built running south from Southey Road with new mansion flats.
Second World War bombing meant the demolition of all buildings on the north side of the street and some to the south including North Brixton Hall.
Lambeth Council build the Caldwell Gardens estate in 1954, most blocks named after Greek gods.
Southey Road was originally named St Ann’s Street and then St Ann’s Road, the name also applied to Hackford Road
until the late 1860s.
Poet Robert Southey stayed with his parents on ‘Brixton Causeway’ (later Brixton Road
) in 1793, which adjoins this road.
The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval
, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.