Camberwell New Road, SE5
Road in/near Denmark Hill, existing between 1818 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Camberwell New RoadDenmark Hill is an area named after a street (and hill) in Camberwell.
is part of the A202.
The road starts at the Oval in the SW9 postcode and runs southeastwards to Camberwell.
It was created as a turnpike road, authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1818, just after the construction in 1816 of the first Vauxhall Bridge, which it starts from. It thus provided a second route from Camberwell to central London.
Camberwell New Road
is the longest Georgian Road in England.
Nearby streets whose names refer to different aspects of the same topographical feature include Dog Kennel Hill
, Champion Hill
and Red Post Hill
. It marks the edge of the Thames valley plain in this area — from here to the river the land is flat.
The original name for the summit was Dulwich Hill
. The name of the area was changed to Denmark Hill
in honour of the husband of Queen Anne, Prince George of Denmark, who lived there.
The area is home of the Maudsley Hospital and King’s College Hospital, and also of Ruskin Park, named after John Ruskin, who once lived nearby. The preface to Ruskin’s ’Unto This Last’ is dated ’Denmark Hill
, 10th May, 1862’.
The Salvation Army’s William Booth Memorial Training College on Champion Park
which was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott was completed in 1932; it towers over South London. It has a similar monumental impressiveness to Gilbert Scott’s other South London buildings, Battersea Power Station and Bankside Power Station (now housing Tate Modern), although its simplicity is partly the result of repeated budget cuts during its construction: much more detail, including carved Gothic stonework surrounding the windows, was originally planned.
railway station was built in 1865. Its design is in the Italianate style, with an extremely decorative frontage. After a fire in 1980 the building was renovated and restored. The project included the addition of a public house, initially called the Phoenix and Firkin
to commemorate the fire.