Nelson Terrace, EC1V

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.88.161.108 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Agdon Street · Alford Place · Allingham Street · Angel · Angel Mews · Arlington Avenue · Arlington Square · Attneave Street · Aztec Row · Balmes Road · Bar Prague · Bartholomew Square · Basire Street · Bavarian Beerhouse · Bevan Street · Bletchley Court · Bletchley Street · Block Brewery Limited · Bourne & Hollingsworth Buildings · Bracklyn Street · Branch Place · Bridport Place · Britannia Walk · Burgh Street · Camden Head · Canal Building · Canal Walk · Canal Walk · Catherine Griffiths Court · Cavendish Street · Chadwell Street · Chapel Bar · Chapel Place · Charles Lamb · Charlotte Terrace · City Garden Row · City Road · City Road · Claremont Close · Claremont Close · Clerkenwell · Coleman Fields · Copenhagen Tunnel · Corporation Row · Cote · Cremer Business Centre · Cremer Street · Cropley Court · Cropley Street · Crown and Manor Boys Club · Cruden Street · Custance Street · Cyrus Street · Dingley Road · DogEatDog · Doves Yard · Downham Road · Duchess of Kent · Duke Of Cambridge Organic Pub · Eagle · Eagle Wharf Road · Earl Of Essex · Eckford Street · Elia Mews · Enfield Road · Evelyn Walk · Everilda Street · Exmouth Market · Farringdon Road · Felton Street · Fox on the Green · Friend Street · Galway Street · Gard Street · Geffrye Street · Godwin Close · Gopsall Street · Gough Street · Grand Junction Wharf · Grange Street · Granville Square · Granville Street · Halcomb Street · Hamond Square · Harvey Street · Haverstock Street · Hemsworth Street · Holford Street · Holford Yard · Hoxton · Hyde Road · Imber Street · Inglebert Street · Islington · Joseph Close · Langton Close · Lawford Road · Leirum Street · Linton Street · Lizard Street · Lloyd Street · Lloyds Row · London Loop · Love’s Company · Malta Street · Manningford Close · Martha’s Buildings · Mary Street · Masons Place · Masque Haunt · Maygood Street · Micawber Street · Micawber Street · Mill Row · Mintern Street · Murray Grove · Myddelton Passage · Napier Grove · Nelson Terrace · Nelson Terrace · New North Road · New River Head · Newington Close · Nile Street · Nomad Club · Nuttall Street · Old Red Lion · Old Royal Free Square · Old Street · Old Street Roundabout · Old Street · Old Street · Orsman Road · Owen Street · Owen’s Row · Packington Square · Pakenham Arms Ltd · Parr Street · Paton Street · Penn Street · Penton Rise · Pentonville · Pentonville Road · Percy Circus · Peregrine House · Phillipp Street · Phoenix Place · Pickfords Wharf · Pied Bull Yd · Pig & Butcher · Poole Street · Popham Street · Prideaux Place · Provence Street · Provost Street · Quick Street · Radicals & Victuallers · Rees Street · Remington Street · Rushton Street · Rydon Street · Saint John Street · Saint Paul Street · Saint Peter’s Street · Scotswood Street · Seville Mews · Shaftesbury Street · Shalford Court · Shepherdess Place · Shepherdess Walk · Shoreditch Park Boulder · Shrubbery Close · Sidney Grove · Spa Fields Park · Spencer Street · St Agnes Well · St Luke’s Hospital for Lunatics · St Paul Street · St. Agnes Well · St. Helena Street · St. John Street · St. Paul Street · St. Peter’s Street · Star Space · Steam Passage · Stringer House · Studd Street · Taplow Street · The Angel · The Angel · The Angel · The Angelic · The Baring · The Blacksmith & The Toffeemaker · The Bowler · The Bull · The Castle · The Craft Beer Co. Islington · The Crown · The Duke of Wellington · The Eagle · The Easton · The Exmouth Arms · The Grand Theatre (1903) · The Hanbury Arms · The Harlequin · The Joker of Penton Street pub only · The Lexington · The Mews · The Nag’s Head · The Narrow Boat · The Old Fountain · The Old Ivy House · The Peasant · The Precinct · The Shakespeare’s Head · The Three Johns · The Trader · The Well · Thoresby Street · Tompion Street · Torrens Street · Underwood Row · Underwood Street · Union Square · Union Tavern · Vestry Street · Water Tower Place · Waterside · Wenlock & Essex · Wenlock Mews · Wenlock Road · Wenlock Street · Westland Place · Wharf Road · Wharf Road · White Conduit Fields · White Conduit Street (1950s) · White Conduit Street · Whitmore Estate · Whitmore Road · William Congreve Mews · William IV · Wilmer Gardens · Wilmington Arms · Wilton Square · Wilton Villas · Wiltshire Row · Windsor Terrace · Wyclif Street · Wynyatt St · York
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Hoxton · EC1V ·
August
11
2017

Nelson Terrace is a road in the EC1V postcode area



VIEW THE HOXTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOXTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOXTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOXTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOXTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Hoxton

Hoxton is a district in the East End of London, immediately north of the financial district of the City of London.

Hogesdon is first recorded in the Domesday Book, meaning an Anglo-Saxon farm belonging to 'Hoch', or 'Hocq'. Little is recorded of the origins of the settlement, though there was Roman activity around Ermine Street, which ran to the east of the area from the 1st century. In medieval times, Hoxton formed a rural part of Shoreditch parish.

In 1415, the Lord Mayor of London caused the wall of the City to be broken towards Moorfields, and built the postern called Moorgate, for the ease of the citizens to walk that way upon causeways towards Islington and Hoxton – at that time, still marshy areas. The residents responded by harassing walkers to protect their fields. A century later, the hedges and ditches were destroyed, by order of the City, to enable City dwellers to partake in leisure at Hoxton.

By Tudor times many moated manor houses existed to provide ambassadors and courtiers country air nearby the City. The open fields to the north and west were frequently used for archery practice, and on 22 September 1598 the playwright Ben Jonson fought a fatal duel in Hoxton Fields, killing actor Gabriel Spencer. Jonson was able to prove his literacy, thereby claiming benefit of clergy to escape a hanging.

On 26 October 1605 Hoxton achieved notoriety, when a letter arrived at the home of local resident William Parker, Lord Monteagle warning him not to attend the Parliament summoned by James I to convene on 5 November, because "yet I say they shall receive a terrible blow, the Parliament, and yet they shall not see who hurts them". The letter may have been sent by his brother-in-law Francis Tresham, or he may have written it himself, to curry favour. The letter was read aloud at supper, before prominent Catholics, and then he delivered it personally to Robert Cecil at Whitehall. While the conspirators were alerted, by the public reading, to the existence of the letter they persevered with their plot as their gunpowder remained undiscovered. William Parker accompanied Thomas Howard, the Lord Chamberlain, at his visit to the undercroft of Parliament, where Guy Fawkes was found in the early hours of 5 November. Most of the conspirators fled on the discovery of the Gunpowder Plot, but Francis Tresham was arrested a few days later at his house in Hoxton.

By the end of the 17th century the nobility's estates began to be broken up. Many of these large houses became to be used as schools, hospitals or mad houses, with almshouses being built on the land between by benefactors, most of whom were City liverymen. Aske's Almshouses were built on Pitfield Street in 1689 from Robert Aske's endowment for 20 poor haberdashers and a school for 20 children of freemen. Hoxton House, was established as a private asylum in 1695. It was owned by the Miles family, and expanded rapidly into the surrounding streets being described by Coleridge as the Hoxton madhouse. Here fee-paying 'gentle and middle class' people took their exercise in the extensive grounds between Pitfield Street and Kingsland Road;[14] including the poet Charles Lamb. Over 500 pauper lunatics resided in closed wards, and it remained the Naval Lunatic Asylum until 1818. The asylum closed in 1911; and the only remains are by Hackney Community College, where a part of the house was incorporated into the school that replaced it in 1921. At this time Hoxton Square and Charles Square were laid out, forming a fashionable area. Non-conformist sects were attracted to the area, away from the restrictions of the City's regulations.

In the Victorian era the railways made travelling to distant suburbs easier, and this combined with infill building and industrialisation to drive away the wealthier classes, leaving Hoxton a concentration of the poor with many slums. The area became a centre for the furniture trade.

Manufacturing developments in the years after the Second World War meant that many of the small industries that characterised Hoxton moved out. By the early 1980s, these industrial lofts and buildings came to be occupied by young artists as inexpensive live/work spaces, while exhibitions, raves and clubs occupied former office and retail space at the beginning of the 1990s. During this time Joshua Compston established his Factual Nonsense gallery on Charlotte Road in Shoreditch and organised art fetes in Hoxton Square. Their presence gradually drew other creative industries into the area, especially magazines, design firms, and dot-coms.

By the end of the 20th century, the southern half of Hoxton had become a vibrant arts and entertainment district boasting a large number of bars, nightclubs, restaurants, and art galleries.

The northern half of the district is more residential and consists largely of council housing estates and new-build private residences.

Hoxton railway station is in the Hoxton district of the London Borough of Hackney. The station is located on the Kingsland Viaduct and is served by London Overground trains on the extended East London Line, under the control of the London Rail division of Transport for London. The station is situated at the back of the Geffrye Museum and is on Geffrye Street near to Dunloe Street and Cremer Street.

The station was officially opened to the public on 27 April 2010, initially with week-day services running between Dalston Junction and New Cross or New Cross Gate. On 23 May 2010 services were extended from New Cross Gate to West Croydon or Crystal Palace.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.