Carthusian Street, EC1A

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with most of the buildings dating from the 2000s

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Agdon Street · Albion Place · Aldermanbury · Aldersgate Street · All Bar One · All Hallows Honey Lane · Amber Bar · Amen Court · Artillery Arms · Attneave Street · Babble City · Balls Brothers Austin Friars · Balls Brothers Ltd · Banner Street · Barbican · BarSmith · Bartholomew Square · Be At One · Be At One · Bells Alley · Berry Street · Best Mangal Bar & Restaurant · Bishops Finger · Bleeding Heart Yard · Bottlescrue · Bourne & Hollingsworth Buildings · Braithwaite House · Brewery Square · Broad Street · Brookes Brother Wine Bar · Browns · Brunswick Place · Bull and Mouth Street · Bunhill Fields · Bunhill Fields · Bunhill Row · Capel Court · Carthusian Street · Carthusian Street · Catherine Griffiths Court · Central School of Ballet · Chancery Lane · Chancery Lane · Charterhouse Bar · Charterhouse Bldgs · Charterhouse Street · Charterhouse Street · Cheapside (1909) · Cheapside · Chequer Street · Cherry Tree Walk · Chiswell Street · Chiswell Street · Circle Bar · City Golf & Health Clubs · City Pride · City Temple · Clerkenwell · Clerkenwell & Social · Clerkenwell house · Club Gascon · Cock Lane · Corney & Barrow · Corney & Barrow · Corney & Barrow Wine Bars · Corney & Barrow · Corporation Row · Cowcross Street · Craft Beer Company · Crown Tavern · Cyrus Street · Dado 54 · Davy’s · Dirty Martini · Dufferin Avenue · Dufferin Street · Dyer’s Buildings · Eagle · Eagle Court · East Harding Street · El Vino Co Ltd · Ely Place · Enoteca · Enoteca Rabezzana · Epworth Street · Errol Street · Exmouth Market · Falcon Court · Farringdon · Farringdon Road · Farringdon Street · Farringdon Street · Featherstone Street · Finsbury Pavement · Finsbury Pavement · Finsbury Square · Finsbury Street · Fleet Street looking east (c.1920) · Fox Fine Wines · Galway Street · Goodman City Ltd · Grand Union · Grand Union Farringdon · Great Conduit · Guildhall Art Gallery · Hand & Shears · Harrild and Sons · Harry’s Bar · Hat & Tun · Hat and Mitre Court · Hatton Garden · Herbal Hill · Holborn Circus · Holborn Viaduct · Holborn · Honduras Street · Honourable Artillery Company · Honourable Artillery Company Museum · Hospital of St Thomas of Acre · Inn of Court · Jamies · Jamies · Jamies · Joseph Close · Kanaloa · Karaoke Box · King’s Arms Yard · La Tasca · Lackington Street · Lamb’s Passage · Lazybones · Le Paris Grill · Leather Lane · Liverpool St · Lizard Street · Love’s Company · Ludgate Circus (1873) · Magpie & Stump · Mallow Street · Malta Street · Martha’s Buildings · Masque Haunt · McQueen · Middlesex Sessions House · Moorgate · Museum of the Order of St John · Newington Close · Ninth Ward London · Nomad Club · Old Broad Street · Old Red Cow · Old Street · Old Street Roundabout · Old Street · Old Street · Oliver’s Yard · Oriole · Pageantmaster Court · Passing Alley · Paton Street · Piano Smithfield · Postal area EC1 · Postal area EC1A · Postal area EC2 · Postal zone EC1Y 4** · Postal zone EC2Y 9** · Postman's Park · Prince Arthur · Punch Tavern · Quaker Court · Red Lion Court · Roadtrip Bar · Rolls Buildings · Ropemaker Street · Roscoe Street · Sabor Iberico · Saffron Hill · Saint Andrew Street · Saint Cross Street · Saint John Street · Saint John Street · Saint John’s Lane · Saint John’s Square · Scotswood Street · Searcy’s Champagne Bar · Searcys Bars @ GSM & D · Secrets · Singer · Singer Street · Sir Chrisptopher Hatton · Sir John Oldcastle · Slug and Lettuce · Slug and Lettuce · Smithfield · Spa Fields Park · St Agnes Well · St Agnes Well · St Andrew · St Bartholomew’s Hospital · St Brides Avenue · St Etheldreda’s Church · St John Clerkenwell · St John's Gate · St John’s Gate · St Luke’s Hospital for Lunatics · St Martin Pomary · St Mary Colechurch · St Mary-le-Bow · St Paul's · St Paul's Cathedral · St Peter · St Peters Italian Social Club · St Peter’s Italian Church · St. Agnes Well · St. John Street · St. Mary Magdalen · Staple Inn · Staple Inn Buildings · Strand · Sutton Arms · Sutton Arms · Sutton Lane · Thavie’s Inn · The Albion · The Angel · The Anthologist · The Arbitrager · The Argyle · The Artisan · The Betsey Trotwood · The Bleeding Heart Tavern · The Bowler · The Butcher’s Hook and Cleaver · The Castle · The Cock & Woolpack · The Crown and Sugar Loaf · The Draft House · The Easton · The Exmouth Arms · The Fable · The Fence · The Fleetwood · The Flying Horse · The Fox · The Fox and Anchor · The Gable · The Globe · The Green · The Grill on the Market · The Hack & Hop · The Hoop & Grapes · The Horseshoe · The Horseshoe Path · The Jugged Hare · The Lord Raglan · The Old Bell Tavern · The Old Fountain · The Old Ivy House · The One Tun · The Paternoster · The Peasant · The Rack & Tenter · The Red Lion · The Rising Sun · The Saint · The Shakespeare · The Slaughtered Lamb · The Sutton Estate · The Telegraph · The Trader · The Well · The White Swan · The Windmill · Three Kings · Tipperary · Tokenhouse · Tompion Street · Vertigo 42 · Viaduct Tavern · Vino & Vino · Warwick Lane · Warwick Yard · Wesley’s Chapel · White Bear · Whitecross Street · Whitefield’s Tabernacle · Wilmington Arms · Wood Street Bar and Restaurant · Wyclif Street · XOYO (GROUND FLOOR) · Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese · Ye Olde Cock Tavern · Ye Olde London · Ye Olde Mitre
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Barbican · EC1A ·

Carthusian Street is a road in the EC1A postcode area

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



The Barbican is a residential estate built during the 1960s and the 1970s in the City of London.

During World War II, the City suffered serious damage and loss of life. The Cripplegate ward was virtually demolished and by 1951 the resident population of the City stood at 5,324 of whom 48 lived in Cripplegate. Discussions began in 1952 about the future of the site, and the decision to build new residential properties was taken by the Court of Common Council on 19 September 1957.

The estate was built between 1965 and 1976, on a 35-acre site that had been bombed in World War II. The complex was designed by architects Chamberlin, Powell and Bon, whose first work was the ground-breaking Golden Lane Estate immediately north of the Barbican. The estate of 40 acres was officially opened in 1969 and is now home to around 4000 people living in 2014 flats. The flats reflect the widespread use in Britain in the 1960s and 1970s of concrete as the visible face of the building.

It contains, or is adjacent to, the Barbican Arts Centre, the Museum of London, the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, the Barbican public library and the City of London School for Girls, forming the Barbican Complex. The complex is a prominent example of British brutalist architecture and is Grade II listed as a whole with the exception of the former Milton Court. Milton Court once contained a fire station, medical facilities and some flats and was demolished to allow the construction of a new apartment complex which also contains additional facilities for the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.

The residential estate consists of 13 terrace blocks, grouped around a lake and green squares. The main buildings rise up to seven floors above a podium level, which links all the facilities in the Barbican, providing a pedestrian route above street level. Some maisonettes are built into the podium structure. There is no vehicular access within the estate, but there are some car parks at the periphery of the estate. Public car parks are located within the Barbican Centre.

What is now Barbican station was opened by the Metropolitan Railway in December 1865 when they extended their original route between Paddington and Farringdon.

The station was first called Aldersgate Street, this being the name of the street on which it stands. This changed to Aldersgate on 1 November 1910, then to Aldersgate and Barbican in 1923, and to the present name from 1 December 1968.

The station replaced an earlier building at 134 Aldersgate Street, which for many years had a sign claiming 'This was Shakespeare's House'. Although the building was very close to the nearby Fortune Playhouse, there is no documentary evidence that Shakespeare lived here; a subsidy roll from 1598 shows a William Shakespeare as owner of the property, but there is nothing to indicate that it is the playwright.
Print-friendly version of this page


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.