Aberdeen Lane, N5

Road in/near Highbury, existing between the 1890s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.235.172.213 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Highbury · N5 ·
November
7
2019

Aberdeen Lane was originally called Ivy Grove Mews.

Ivy Grove Mews - later Aberdeen Mews and built at the back of large houses in Aberdeen Park, became Aberdeen Lane by 1916. The street was lengthened in 1924 and 1930.

There had been a project, abandoned in the 1850s, to lay out a 500 acre public park which would have been bigger than Hyde Park. The park would have been bounded by Balls Pond Road, Seven Sisters Road, the Stoke Newington reservoirs and the Great Northern Railway.

The failed park earmarked the area to development with Aberdeen Park and Aberdeen Lane dating from the 1850s.


Citation information: Islington – The Underground Map
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Highbury




Print-friendly version of this page