Corbets Tey

Suburb, existing between 1461 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.91.106.223 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Suburb · Corbets Tey · RM14 ·
MARCH
15
2015

Corbets Tay is a village located south of, and contiguous with, Upminster.


Credit: ..
Corbets Tey is first mentioned in 1461 as Corbinstye. The medieval manor of Gaynes occupied most of the southern Upminster area and some of its land has been under cultivation for over 2,000 years. On Corbets Tey Road, the rubble-walled tower of Upminster’s parish church of St Laurence dates from the early 13th century.

There was a tannery at Corbets Tey from 1573 to 1635 and gravel extraction took place in the vicinity from the 18th century. The most notable survival at the centre of the old village is High House, a tall farmhouse built around 1700 and still possessing a virtually complete original interior.

During the 1770s Sir James Esdaile commissioned a manor house at Gaynes, with a 100-acre park created from the surrounding farmland – but within about 50 years most of the mansion had to be demolished to make the property affordable to a new buyer. Esdaile also built Harwood Hall in 1782, and its distinctive castellations were added a century later. It is now Oakfields Montessori school.

The surviving east wing of the manor house at Gaynes stood until 1929, when it was pulled down to make way for what the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner called “singularly unexciting straight streets of dull houses” – but a small part of the grounds was retained as parkland.

Corbets Tey has some early weatherboarded and half-timbered cottages – notably on Harwood Hall Lane.


Main source: Corbets Tey - Hidden London
Further citations and sources


xxx

..

THE STREETS OF CORBETS TEY
Aveley Road, RM14 Aveley Road is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Bramble Lane, RM14 Bramble Lane is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Cranston Park Avenue, RM14 Cranston Park Avenue is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Dennises Lane, RM14 Dennises Lane is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Dennisses Lane, RM14 Dennisses Lane is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Foxhall Road, RM14 Foxhall Road is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Freshfields Avenue, RM14 Freshfields Avenue is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Harwood Hall Lane, RM14 Harwood Hall Lane is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Londons Close, RM14 Londons Close is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Ockendon Road, RM15 Ockendon Road is a road in the RM15 postcode area
Park Farm Road, RM14 Park Farm Road is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Stubbers Lane, RM14 Stubbers Lane is a road in the RM14 postcode area
Sunnings Lane, RM14 Sunnings Lane is a road in the RM14 postcode area



VIEW THE CORBETS TEY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CORBETS TEY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CORBETS TEY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CORBETS TEY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CORBETS TEY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Corbets Tey

Corbets Tay is a village located south of, and contiguous with, Upminster.

Corbets Tey is first mentioned in 1461 as Corbinstye. The medieval manor of Gaynes occupied most of the southern Upminster area and some of its land has been under cultivation for over 2,000 years. On Corbets Tey Road, the rubble-walled tower of Upminster@@@s parish church of St Laurence dates from the early 13th century.

There was a tannery at Corbets Tey from 1573 to 1635 and gravel extraction took place in the vicinity from the 18th century. The most notable survival at the centre of the old village is High House, a tall farmhouse built around 1700 and still possessing a virtually complete original interior.

During the 1770s Sir James Esdaile commissioned a manor house at Gaynes, with a 100-acre park created from the surrounding farmland – but within about 50 years most of the mansion had to be demolished to make the property affordable to a new buyer. Esdaile also built Harwood Hall in 1782, and its distinctive castellations were added a century later. It is now Oakfields Montessori school.

The surviving east wing of the manor house at Gaynes stood until 1929, when it was pulled down to make way for what the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner called “singularly unexciting straight streets of dull houses” – but a small part of the grounds was retained as parkland.

Corbets Tey has some early weatherboarded and half-timbered cottages – notably on Harwood Hall Lane.
Print-friendly version of this page