St Thomas Street, SE1
Road in/near Borough, existing until now
Print-friendly version of this page Borough tube station is a London Underground station in the London Borough of Southwark. It is on the Northern Line, between Elephant and Castle and London Bridge stations.
St Thomas Street is an extremely old thoroughfare.
St Thomas’s Hospital was sited here from about 1215 until 1862 when it was moved for the construction of London Bridge
Station. The church here houses the Old Operating Theatre (used 1821-62) in the attic floor.
Within a courtyard is the chapel of Guy’s Hospital
and a statue of its founder Thomas Guy.
The road now runs along one of the newest London landmarks - The Shard
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
The Borough (of Southwark) is an area of the London Borough of Southwark situated 1.5 miles east south-east of Charing Cross.
The area has been called The Borough
since the 1550s, to contrast it with the neighbouring City, in later years to distinguish it from the larger Metropolitan Borough of Southwark and now to distinguish it from the much larger London Borough of Southwark.
Much of the area around the Tate Modern gallery and the Globe Theatre is now referred to by the historic name of Bankside
In common with much of the South Bank
, The Borough has seen extensive regeneration in the last decade. Declining light industry and factories have given way to residential development, shops, restaurants, galleries and bars. The area is in easy walking distance of the City and the West End.
The Borough is generally an area of mixed development, with council estates, office developments, social housing and gated communities side by side with each other.
Borough station was opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the first deep-level tube railway, the City and South London Railway, and was rebuilt in the 1920s when the tunnels were enlarged.