Elsie Road, SE22

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.203.28.212 
12 Dulwich Village · Abbotswood Road · Acre Drive · Albrighton Road · Anderton Close · Anstey Road · Archdale Road · Arnould Avenue · Ashbourne Grove · Ashleigh Mews · Aysgarth Road · Beauval Road · Bew Court · Blackwater Street · Blanche Downe · Blanchedowne · Bromar Road · Burbage Road · Burrow Road · Buxted Road · Calton Avenue · Chesterfield Grove · College Gardens · College Road entrance · College Road · Colwell Road · Constable Walk · Coplestone Passage · Coplestone Passage · Costa Street · Court Lane Gardens · Court Lane · Court Lane · Cox’s Walk · Cox’s Walk · Crawthew Grove · Cross Court · Cyrena Road · Dekker Road · Derwent Grove · Deventer Crescent · Dog Kennel Hill Estate · Dog Kennel Hill · Dog Kennel Hill · Domett Close · Dovercourt Road · Dovercourt Road · Dowson Close · Druce Road · Dudrich Mews · Dulwich · Dulwich Common · Dulwich Lawn Close · Dulwich Rise Gardens · Dulwich Village c1890. · Dulwich Village · East Dulwich Grove · Eastlands Crescent · Eastlands Crescent · Edgar Kail Way · Elsie Road · Everthorpe Road · Eynella Road · Fenwick Grove · Fenwick Road · Ferrings · Ferris Road · Firemans Alley · Frank Dixon Way · Gallery Road · Gilkes Crescent · Gilkes Crescent · Glebelands Close · Glengarry Road · Gowlett Road · Grange Lane · Great Brownings · Great Spilmans · Green Dale Close · Green Dale · Grove Hill Road · Gylcote Close · Hayes Grove · Hayes Grove · Henry Dent Close · Henslowe Road · Herne Hill Velodrome · Highwood Close · Hillsboro Road · Hilversum Crescent · Hinckley Road · Holmes Close · Home Meadow Mews · Hunts Slip Road · Ivanhoe Road · Jarvis Road · Kelmore Grove · Kempis Way · Keston Road · Kinsale Road · Langford Green · Lordship Lane · Low Cross Wood Lane · Lycott Grove · Maldon Close · Malfort Road · Matham Grove · McDermott Road · Melbourne Grove · Melbourne Terrace · Milo Gardens · Milo Road · Monclar Road · Nairne Grove · Nairne Grove · Nimegen Way · North Dulwich · Nunhead Crescent · Oglander Road · Ondine Road · Ondine Road · Oxenford Street · Oxonian Street · Peckham Rye Common · Pelham Close · Pickwick Road · Piermont Green · Piermont Road · Playfield Crescent · Pond Cottages · Pytchley Road · Quorn Road · Railway Rise · Relf Road · Roseway · Ruskin Park House · Rye Passage · Ryecotes Mead · Sage Mews · Saint Barnabas Close · Sandison Street · Soames Street · Solway Road · Spring Hill Close · St. Francis Road · Stories Road · Sunderland Court · Sunray Avenue · Talbot Road · Terborch Way · The Limes · Thorncombe Road · Tintagel Gardens · Townley Road · Traylen Trail · Trossachs Road · Trust Road · Turney Road · Vale End · Victoria Close · Wellington Mews · Wilton House · Woodfarrs · Woodhall Avenue · Woodhall Drive · Woodwarde Road · Woodyard Lane · Zenoria Street
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Dulwich · SE22 · Contributed by The Underground Map
August
13
2017

Elsie Road is a road in the SE22 postcode area


VIEW THE DULWICH AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE DULWICH AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE DULWICH AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE DULWICH AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE DULWICH AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Dulwich

Dulwich - home of the first compiler of the London A-Z, Phyllis Pearsall.

Dulwich is an area of South London, derives from Dill, a white flower, and Wihs, meaning a damp meadow, giving a meaning of 'the meadow where dill grows'. In 1538, Henry VIII seized control of Dulwich and sold it to goldsmith Thomas Calton for £609. Calton's grandson Sir Francis Calton sold the Manor of Dulwich for £4900 in 1605 to Elizabethan actor and entrepreneur Edward Alleyn. He vested his wealth in a charitable foundation, Alleyn's College of God's Gift, established in 1619. The charity's modern successor, The Dulwich Estate, still owns 1500 acres in the area, including a number of private roads and a tollgate. Alleyn also constructed a school, a chapel and alms houses in Dulwich. Dulwich Almshouse Charity and Christ's Chapel of God's Gift at Dulwich (where Alleyn is buried) still fulfill their original functions.

In the 17th century, King Charles I of England visited Dulwich Woods on a regular basis to hunt.

In 1739, Francis Cox, master of the Green Man, a tavern situated about a mile south of the village of Dulwich, sunk a well for his family. The water was found to be possessed of purgative qualities, and was for some time used medicinally. While the water was popular much custom was drawn to the adjoining tavern, and its proprietor flourished. The oak-lined formal avenue, known as Cox's Walk, leading from the junction of Dulwich Common and Lordship Lane was cut by Cox to connect his establishment of the Green Man Tavern and Dulwich Wells with the even more popular Sydenham Wells.

In 1935, Phyllis Isobella Pearsall, a portrait painter, was on her way to a party. She tried to follow the best available map of the time (a 1919 Ordnance Survey map). She discovered that this map was not up to the task, and ended up getting lost on her way there. Following a conversation during this party, she conceived the idea of mapping London. She claims that the next day, she started mapping London. This involved walking the 3000 miles of the 23 000 streets of London, waking up at 5 am every day, and not going to bed until after an 18-hour working day. (Other sources cast total doubt on this story).

In 1936, when her map was complete, she printed 10 000 copies and began contacting bookstores who might sell it. She tried Hatchards in Piccadilly, Selfridge's, where they would not see her without an appointment, and Foyle's. None of them would take it. Next she went to W H Smith, where they ordered 1250 copies. They sold well and within weeks she was taking orders from every railway station in the south of England. F W Woolworth took a few thousand copies too. By 1938 the London A-Z was well-established.

In 1966, she turned her company, the Geographers' A–Z Map Co, into a trust to ensure that it was never bought out. This secured the future of her company and its employees. Through her donation of her shares to the trust, she was able to enshrine her desired standards and behaviours for the company into its statutes.

A respected typographer, although not credited with the design of any typefaces, her arrangement of type is considered one of the most interesting of her age. The 'A to Z' type-style is a classic piece of typography by Eric Gill.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.