Beatrice Road, SE1

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1970s

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
01-02 Tower Bridge Business Complex · 04-05 Tower Bridge Business Complex · Abbey Gardens · Abbey Gardens · Abbey Street · Abbey Street · Abbeyfield Estate · Abbeyfield Road · Abercorn Way · Ablett Street · Achilles Close · Admiral Hyson Industrial Estate · Alexis Street · Alma Grove · Almond Road · Alscot Road · Alscot Road · Alscot Way · Ambrose Street · Amina Way · Anchor Street · Arabella Street · Argyle Way · Arts Lane · Aspinden Road · Attilburgh House · Aulay House · Avocet Close · Avondale Square · Bacon Grove · Bakery Street · Balaclava Road · Banyard Road · Barkworth Road · Beatrice Road · Benwick Close · Bermondsey · Bermondsey Spa Gardens · Bermondsey Trading Estate · Bevington Street · Block A Unit 401 · Blue Anchor Lane · Bolina Road · Bollina Road · Bombay Street · Bradley House · Bramcote Grove · Bridge House · Brodie Street · Bushwood Drive · Butlers Colonial Wharf · Buttermere Close · Cadbury Way · Cadet Drive · Camilla Road · Cardamom Building · Cathay Street · Catlin Street · Chambers Street · Chaucer Drive · Cherry Garden Street · Cleme · Clemence Road · Clement · Clements Road · Clements Rod · Clements · Cobourg Road Estate · Cobourg Road · Cobourg Road · Collett Road · Coopers Road · Copper Row · Corbetts Lane · Corbetts Passage · Crane Mead · Cranswick Road · Credon Road · Crimscott Street · Crown Place Apartments · Culloden Close · Curlew Street · Curtis Street · Curtis Way · Dairy Apartments · Debnams Road · Delaford Road · Devon Mansions · Dilston Grove · Dixon’s Alley · Dockhead · Dockley Road · Drappers Way · Druid Street · Drummond Road · Dunlop Place · Dunton Road · Eagle Close · East Lane · East Point · Edenbridge Close · Enid Street · Enterprise Industrial Estate · Esmeralda Road · Eugenia Road · Eveline Lowe Estate · Fallow Court · Farncombe Street · Fendall Street · Fenner Close · Fern Walk · Flockton Street · Fort Road · Fortune Place · Fountain Green Square · Frank Mews · Frankland Close · Frean Street · Freda Street · Fulford Street · Gainsford Street · Gallewall Trading Estate · Galleywall Road · Galway Close · Gataker House · George Row · Gerards Close · Gleneagles Close · Glengall Terrace · Goldsworthy Gardens · Goodwin Close · Grange Road · Grange Walk · Grange Walk · Grange Yard · Guinness Square · Harmony Place · Hazel Way · Hendre Road · Henley Drive · Henley Drive · Holywell Close · Horselydown Lane · Hothfield Place · Humphrey Street · Hyson Road · Ilderton Road · Jacob Street · Jacob Street · Jamaica Road · Jamaica Road · Janeway Street · John Felton Road · John Roll Way · Kinglake Estate · Kingsdown Close · King’s Stairs Gardens · Kintore Way · Kirby Estate · Kotree way · Lady Gomm House · Lafone Street · Landmann House · Layard Square · Leroy Street · Limasol Street · Linsey Street · Llewellyn Street · Lloyds Wharf · Lockwood Square · Loncroft Road · Long Walk · Longfellow Way · Longley Street · Lovegrove Street · Lucey Road · Lucey Way · Lynton Road · Macks Road · Madron Street · Maguire Street · Maguire · Malt Street · Maltby Street · Mandela Way · Mandela Way · Mandela Way · Manor Estate · Marcia Road · Marden Square · Maria Close · Marigold Street · Marine Street · Market Place · Marlborough Grove · Mason Close · Masters Drive · Mayflower Street · Mill Street · Millpond Estate West Lane · Mina Road · Monnow Road · Moodkee Street · Muirfield Close · Neckinger Estate · Neckinger Street · Neckinger · Nelldale Road · New Concordia Wharf · New Place Square · Nile Terrace · Oakley Place · Old Abbey Lane · Old Jamaica Road Business Estate · Old Jamaica Road · Old Kent Road · Old Kent Road · Old Kent Road · Olmar Street · Orange Place · Ossory Road · Oxley Close · Pages Walk · Paradise Street · Parkers Row · Pedworth Gardens · Penarth Centre · Pepler Mews · Perryn Road · Phoenix Wharf Road · Pickwick House · PO Box 474 · PO Box 67 · PO Box 70386 · Pope House · Postal area SE16 · Postal zone SE16 2** · Pottery Street · Prospect Street · Providence Square · Quadrangle Close · Queen Elizabeth Street · Radcliffe Road · Raven Wharf · Raymouth Road · Rennie Estate · Reverdy Road · Riley Road · Rock Grove Way · Rolls Road · Rope Walk · Roseberry Street · Rossetti Road · Rotherhithe Business Estate · Rotherhithe New Road · Rotherhithe Street · Rotherhithe Tunnel Approach Road · Rotherhithe Tunnel · Rotherhithe Tunnel · Rotherithe New Road · Rouel Road · Rowcross Street · Rupack Street · Ryder Drive · Saint Marychurch Street · Scott Lidgett Crescent · Scotts Sufferance Wharfmill Street · Setchell Road · Setchell Way · Shad Thames · Shad Thames · Sheppard Drive · Shepparoad Drive · Sherwood Gardens · Shopping Centre · Shorncliffe Road · Simms Road · Six Bridges Trading Estate · Slippers Place · Southwark Park · Southwark Park Road · Spa Business Park · Spa Court · Spa Road · Spa Road · Splendour Walk · St Jamess Road · St Jamess Road · St. Davids Close · St. Marychurch Street · Stalham Street · Stanworth Street · Stevenson Cres · Stevenson Crescent · Stevenson Cresent · Stockholm Road · Stockholm Road · Stork’s Road · Strathnairn Street · Stubbs Drive · Studios · Sun Passage · Sunningdale Close · Sweeney Crescent · Swift Court · Tenda Road · Thames Tunnel · The Circle · The Globe Rope Walk · The Grange · The School House · Thetford House · Thorburn Square · Three Oak Lane · Thurland Road · Toussaint Walk · Tovy House · Tower Bridge Business Complex · Tower Bridge Piazza · Tower Workshops · Trading Estate · Trafalgar Avenue · Tranton Road · Troon Close · Trothy Road · Turnberry Close · Unit 7 · Unit B507 Towerbridge Business Complex · Unity Wharf · Varcoe Road · Vauban Street · Verney Road · Verney Way · Vogans Mill · Wade House · Wade House · Waite Street · Waterside Close · Weald Close · Webster Road · Weightman House · West Lane · Westreet Lane · Willow Walk · Wilson Grove · Wolseley Street · Woodmill Close · Woodmill Street · Woolstaplers Way · Yalding Road · Zampa Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Bermondsey · SE1 ·

Beatrice Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



The name Bermondsey first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine (708-715), in which he grants privileges to a monastery at ’Vermundesei’, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede, as Peterborough was known at the time.

Though Bermondsey’s name may derive from Beornmund’s island (whoever the Anglo-Saxon Beornmund was, is another matter), but Bermondsey is likely to have been a higher, drier spot in an otherwise marshy area, rather than a real island.

The area first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine (708-715), in which he grants privileges to a monastery at Vermundesei, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede, as Peterborough was known at the time.

Bermondsey appears in Domesday Book. It was then held by King William, though a small part was in the hands of Robert, Count of Mortain, the king’s half brother, and younger brother of Odo of Bayeux, then Earl of Kent.

Bermondsey Abbey was founded as a Cluniac priory in 1082, and was dedicated to St Saviour. Monks from the abbey began the development of the area, cultivating the land and embanking the riverside. They turned an adjacent tidal inlet at the mouth of the River Neckinger into a dock, named St Saviour’s Dock after their abbey. The Knights Templar also owned land here and gave their names to one of the most distinctive streets in London, Shad Thames (a corruption of ’St John at Thames’). Other ecclesiastical properties stood nearby at Tooley (a corruption of ’St Olave’s’) Street, located in the Archbishop of Canterbury’s manor of Southwark, where wealthy citizens and clerics had their houses, including the priors of Lewes and St Augustine’s, Canterbury, and the abbot of Battle.

As it developed over the centuries, Bermondsey underwent many changes. After the Great Fire of London, it was settled by the well-to-do and took on the character of a garden suburb especially along the lines of Grange Road, as Bermondsey Street became more urbanised. A pleasure garden was founded there in the 17th century, commemorated by the Cherry Garden Pier. Samuel Pepys visited ’Jamaica House’ at Cherry Gardens in 1664 and recorded in his diary that he had left it "singing finely".

Though not many buildings survive from this era, one notable exception is the church of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey Street, completed in 1690 (although a church has been recorded on this site from the 13th Century). This church came through both 19th-century redevelopment and The Blitz unscathed. It is not just an unusual survivor for Bermondsey; buildings of this era are relative rarities in Inner London in general.

In the 18th century, the discovery of a spring from the river Neckinger in the area led to Bermondsey becoming a spa leisure resort, as the area between Grange and Jamaica Roads called Spa Road commemorates.

It was from the Bermondsey riverside that the painter J.M.W. Turner executed his famous painting of The Fighting Temeraire Tugged to her Last Berth to be Broken Up (1839), depicting the veteran warship being towed to Rotherhithe to be scrapped.

By the mid-19th century parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside had become a notorious slum — with the arrival of industrial plants, docks and immigrant housing. The area around St Saviour’s Dock, known as Jacob’s Island, was one of the worst in London. It was immortalised by Charles Dickens’s novel Oliver Twist, in which the principal villain Bill Sikes meets a nasty end in the mud of ’Folly Ditch’ an area which was known as Hickmans Folly — the scene of an attack by Spring Heeled Jack in 1845 — surrounding Jacob’s Island. Dickens provides a vivid description of what it was like:

<CITE>... crazy wooden galleries common to the backs of half a dozen houses, with holes from which to look upon the slime beneath; windows, broken and patched, with poles thrust out, on which to dry the linen that is never there; rooms so small, so filthy, so confined, that the air would seem to be too tainted even for the dirt and squalor which they shelter; wooden chambers thrusting themselves out above the mud and threatening to fall into it — as some have done; dirt-besmeared walls and decaying foundations, every repulsive lineament of poverty, every loathsome indication of filth, rot, and garbage: all these ornament the banks of Jacob’s Island.</CITE>

Bermondsey Town Hall was built on Spa Road in 1881. The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with the expansion of the river trade and the arrival of the railways. London’s first passenger railway terminus was built by the London to Greenwich Railway in 1836 at London Bridge. The first section to be used was between the Spa Road Station and Deptford High Street. This local station had closed by 1915.

The industrial boom of the 19th century was an extension of Bermondsey’s manufacturing role in earlier eras. As in the East End, industries that were deemed too noisome to be carried on within the narrow confines of the City of London had been located here — one such that came to dominate central Bermondsey, away from the riverfront, was the processing and trading of leather and hides. Many buildings from this era survive around Leathermarket Street including the huge Leather, Hide and Wool Exchange (now residential and small work spaces). Hepburn and Gale’s tannery (disused as of early 2007) on Long Lane is also a substantial survivor of the leather trade.

Peek, Frean and Co was established in 1857 at Dockhead, Bermondsey by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname ’Biscuit Town’ for Bermondsey, where they continued baking until the brand was discontinued in 1989. Wee Willie Harris (usually credited as the first British rock and roll player) came from Bermondsey. He was known as Britain’s Wild man of Rock N’ Roll). He also worked in Peak Freans.

To the east of Tower Bridge, Bermondsey’s 3½ miles of riverside were lined with warehouses and wharves, of which the best known is Butler’s Wharf. They suffered severe damage in World War II bombing and became redundant in the 1960s following the collapse of the river trade. After standing derelict for some years, many of the wharves were redeveloped under the aegis of the London Docklands Development Corporation during the 1980s. They have now been converted into a mixture of residential and commercial accommodations and have become some of the most upmarket and expensive properties in London. In 1997, US President Bill Clinton and Prime Minister Tony Blair visited the area to dine at the Pont de la Tour restaurant at Butler’s Wharf.

Millwall F.C. moved to a new stadium on Coldblow Lane in 1910, having previously played in Millwall, but have kept their original name despite playing at the opposite side of the River Thames to the Millwall area. They played at The Den until 1993, when they relocated to the New Den nearby. A public sports centre is also included in their stadium.

Reorganisation of lines and closure of stations left Bermondsey’s transport links with the rest of London poorer in the late twentieth century. This was remedied in 2000 with the opening of Bermondsey tube station on the Jubilee Line Extension.

Bermondsey tube station was designed by Ian Ritchie Architects and was originally intended to have a multi-storey office building sitting on top.
Print-friendly version of this page


Central London, south east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.