Central School of Speech and Drama

College/University in Swiss Cottage, existing between 1906 and now

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
College/University · Swiss Cottage · NW3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
September
16
2015


The Royal Central School of Speech & Drama was founded in 1906 to offer a new form of training in speech and drama for young actors and other students.

Elsie Fogerty founded The Central School of Speech Training and Dramatic Art at the Royal Albert Hall in 1906. Fogerty was a specialist in speech training and held a firm belief in the social importance of education. She was committed to advancing the study of theatre as an academic discipline.

In 1957 the school moved from the Royal Albert Hall, having acquired the lease of the Embassy Theatre at Swiss Cottage and its associated buildings. By 1961 three distinct departments had been established within Central. The stage department was running its three-year course for actors, with alumni including Laurence Olivier and Peggy Ashcroft already a part of its history, and a two-year course for stage managers. The teacher training department was preparing students for its own diploma, which was a recognised teaching qualification, and for the London University Diploma in Dramatic Art. That diploma had been instituted in 1912 as a result of Fogerty’s campaign for the recognition of drama and drama teaching as subjects worthy of serious academic study. By this time, the school was as known for its speech therapy department as for its work in training actors.

In 1972 Central became grant-aided by the Inner London Education Authority. In 1989 it was incorporated as a higher education college in its own right and funded directly by government. Central had been offering degrees since 1986, firstly validated by the Council for National Academic Awards and from 1992 by the Open University.

Apart from its notable alumni, who include Laurence Olivier, Vanessa Redgrave, Judi Dench, Cameron Mackintosh, Harold Pinter, Jason Isaacs and James Fox, the school has had some notable staff. In the 1960s Yat Malmgren taught movement, based on principles derived from Laban; Cicely Berry taught voice to students and later the Royal Shakespeare Company, John Allen, principal from 1972 to 1978, founded the Glyndebourne Children’s Theatre, was the leading organiser of the Communist Party’s Unity Theatre, London, where he coordinated the first Living Newspaper, Busmen (1937), and was a founding member of the Group Theatre, also in the mid-1930s; Litz Pisk was Head of Movement (1964–1970), having previously worked with Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill in Vienna, and then Michel Saint-Denis at the Old Vic Theatre School.

On 29 November 2012 the adjective "Royal" was bestowed on the school by Elizabeth II in recognition of its reputation as a "world-class institution for exceptional professional training in theatre and performance studies". It is entitled to use it in official documentation, although it continues to be colloquially referred to as "Central".

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE SWISS COTTAGE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SWISS COTTAGE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SWISS COTTAGE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SWISS COTTAGE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SWISS COTTAGE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Swiss Cottage

Swiss Cottage

Swiss Cottage is named after an inn called The Swiss Tavern that was built in 1804 in the style of a Swiss chalet and on the site of a former tollgate keeper’s cottage.

The district formed part of the ancient parish of Hampstead. It developed following the Finchley Road Act 1826, which authorised construction of Finchley New Road and Avenue Road, with The Swiss Tavern located at the junction of the new roads. The neighbourhood around Finchley Road and Avenue Road was redeveloped in 1937 and 1938 with the opening of an Odeon cinema and the Regency Lodge flats. After World War II, local authority housing was constructed by the London County Council in the area.

Local amenities include an Odeon Cinema, Sir Basil Spence’s Grade II-listed Swiss Cottage Central Library and the Hampstead Theatre. Swiss Cottage is the location of the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama that occasionally performs at the Embassy Theatre. Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre reopened in early 2006 after redevelopment; it now has two swimming pools, a gym and a climbing wall. Many of the area’s cityscapes and London street scenes, particularly of Swiss Cottage, Adamson Rd, Eton Ave and Belsize Park were represented by the Camden Town Group painter Robert Bevan and his wife, the Polish painter Stanislawa de Karlowska. They lived at 14 Adamson Road.

Swiss Cottage station was opened in 1868 as the northern terminus of the Metropolitan and St. John’s Wood Railway, the first northward branch extension from Baker Street of the Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan line). From here, starting in 1879, the line was subsequently extended further to Watford, Amersham, Chesham and Uxbridge.

The current station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road stations when the Metropolitan line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo line.

The new station initially operated as part of a combined station with the Metropolitan line’s adjacent sub-surface Swiss Cottage station (platforms 1 and 2 were Metropolitan line and 3 and 4 were Bakerloo line), but the Metropolitan line station was closed on 17 August 1940. The Bakerloo line station was subsequently transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee line when it opened on 1 May 1979.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Anna Freud Centre:   The Anna Freud Centre is a child mental health research, training and treatment centre.
Freud Museum:   The Freud Museum is a museum dedicated to Sigmund Freud, who lived there with his family during the last year of his life.
Hall School:   The Hall School is an independent boys’ preparatory school in Belsize Park.
Hampstead Theatre:   The Hampstead Theatre specialises in commissioning and producing new writing, supporting and developing the work of new writers.
South Hampstead High School:   South Hampstead High School is an independent day school.
Swiss Cottage:   Swiss Cottage is named after an inn called The Swiss Tavern that was built in 1804 in the style of a Swiss chalet and on the site of a former tollgate keeper’s cottage.
Winchester Hotel:   Winchester Hotel was situated at 21a Winchester Road, NW3


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Adamson Road, NW3 · Alban House, NW3 · Avenue Road, NW3 · Baynes Mews, NW3 · Belsize Park Mews, NW3 · Belsize Square, NW3 · Buckland Crescent, NW3 · College Crescent, NW3 · College Cresent, NW3 · Crossfield Road, NW3 · Daleham Gardens, NW3 · Daleham Mews, NW3 · Dobson Close, NW6 · Elsworthy Road, NW3 · Eton Court, NW3 · Fairfax Mansions, NW3 · Harben Parade, NW3 · Harben Road, NW6 · Harley Road, NW3 · Hilgrove Road, NW6 · Hornby Close, NW3 · King?s College Road, NW3 · Lancaster Grove, NW3 · McCrone Mews, NW3 · Naseby Close, NW6 · New College Parade, NW3 · Noel House, NW6 · Northways Parade, NW3 · Regency Parade, NW3 · Strathray Gardens, NW3 · Trinity Walk, NW3 · Winchester Road, NW3 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

St John’s Wood
Facebook Page
Belsize Park
Facebook Page
Finchley Road
Facebook Page
Swiss Cottage
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.