is divided between the London Borough of Lewisham and the London Borough of Greenwich with the borough boundary running across the middle of the heath.
Village, south of the heath, lies in Lewisham. The Blackheath
Standard area and Westcombe Park lie on the north-east side in Greenwich. The name ’Blackheath
’ derives from the dark colour of the soil in the area.
It was known to the Romans as a stopping point on Watling Street. Blackheath
was a rallying point for the uprisings - Wat Tyler’s Peasants’ Revolt of 1381, and Jack Cade’s Kentish rebellion in 1450. After pitching camp on Blackheath
, Cornish rebels were defeated in the Battle of Deptford Bridge to the west on 17 June 1497. Blackheath
was a notorious haunt of highwaymen during the 17th century.
During the seventeenth century Blackheath
was a common assembly point for English Armies. In 1673 the Blackheath
Army was assembled under Marshal Schomberg to serve in the Third Anglo-Dutch War.
The main area of the village lies to the north side of Blackheath
railway station (opened on 30 July 1849), between the south side of the heath and the railway line. All Saints’ parish church is the only building on the heath itself.
In 1608, according to tradition, Blackheath
was the place where golf was introduced to England at the Royal Blackheath
Golf Club, established in 1766.
is well-known as the starting point of the London Marathon. This maintains a connection with athletics dating back to the establishment of the Blackheath
Harriers in 1878.